What's new

Ethos shave stick / top shelf stick questions

Hi, I’ve seen the Ethos shave sticks(“Face and body shave soap”) at TRC and other places. About $20 for 3oz. Is this stuff any good? Ease of Latherability, post shave etc. Is it close to F base in any way - I can see ingredients are different. I couldn’t find reviews on the stick. I have not tried an Ethos product before. I do have sensitive skin. So I do not like highly scented.

I’ve been through a bunch of sticks - just looking for a top shelf one for travel and home - if it exists and this is one I’ve not tried. I’ve tried the usual suspects - Palmolive, Lea, Arko, La toja, Dr Harris. I’ve seen the older shave stick list here which was good.

I realize an alternative is to make my own shave stick by buying soap and packing it in a shave stick container. Letting it dry out for a bit. Maybe that’s the way to go.

Thanks
Chris

I can’t comment on the shave stick, but I know Ethos makes other high quality products like the after shave lotion, tallow shave cream, and First Lather product. I’d imagine the shave stick is also a quality product but I have never tried it.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have no knowledge of Ethos but I know it is well regarded. I prefer vintage sticks but were I to buy new, then I struggle to see how I could look beyond a tallow Tabac stick from Connaught Shaving at £9 including tax or £7.50 for a US buyer. Quite simply one of the best soaps ever produced in my opinion, not just top shelf, but the top of the top shelf.

I also have not tried the sticks but can concur that Ethos makes great products.
@cf1 you mentioned having sensitive skin; are you sensitive only to scents, or is it also to pressure and agitation (I guess meaning is your skin maybe on the delicate side, for lack of a better word)? If that is the case, definitely keep in mind that with a shave stick you’re rubbing it into your stubble and lathering the whole time on your face, and that can cause irritation in itself if your skin is on the delicate side and you’re grinding a scrubby/scritchy brush into it (side note, don’t push your brush hard like that to splay it ;-)
Just a thought…

I also have not tried the sticks but can concur that Ethos makes great products.
@cf1 you mentioned having sensitive skin; are you sensitive only to scents, or is it also to pressure and agitation (I guess meaning is your skin maybe on the delicate side, for lack of a better word)? If that is the case, definitely keep in mind that with a shave stick you’re rubbing it into your stubble and lathering the whole time on your face, and that can cause irritation in itself if your skin is on the delicate side and you’re grinding a scrubby/scritchy brush into it (side note, don’t push your brush hard like that to splay it ;-)
Just a thought…
This is a great point and I do keep this in mind. I am a 90% bowl latherer at this time. When traveling I am trying to not bring a bowl. I tend to use softer brushes with easy splay to avoid irritation and generally don’t prefer scrubby brushes. Light scrub ok

Thanks!

I have no knowledge of Ethos but I know it is well regarded. I prefer vintage sticks but were I to buy new, then I struggle to see how I could look beyond a tallow Tabac stick from Connaught Shaving at £9 including tax or £7.50 for a US buyer. Quite simply one of the best soaps ever produced in my opinion, not just top shelf, but the top of the top shelf.
Yea unfortunately tabac scent isn’t my fav and my wife despises it. Great performer though. Thanks for suggestion.

Thanks. I have not tried the soap but tried the aftershave and just wasn’t a fan. I assumed the soap smelled similar.

Ethos is a very good shave stick, I use them all the time traveling (I’ve flown over 2M miles so I appreciate this little luxury).

Also I believe he lowered the shave stick to 18 on his website, not sure if TRC caught up yet but Jason will.

Finally - he is releasing some tallow shave sticks soon.

So Ethos shave sticks are now 18 dollars on their website and vendors will probably catch up.

Last edited:
Ethos is a very good shave stick, I use them all the time traveling (I’ve flown over 2M miles so I appreciate this little luxury).

Also I believe he lowered the shave stick to 18 on his website, not sure if TRC caught up yet but Jason will.

Finally - he is releasing some tallow shave sticks soon.

So Ethos shave sticks are now 18 dollars on their website and vendors will probably catch up.
Thanks for this info. Next order I’ll give it a shot and if the tallow version is out I’ll look at that too. If you happen to use the tallow version please let us know how it compares.

Thanks for this info. Next order I’ll give it a shot and if the tallow version is out I’ll look at that too. If you happen to use the tallow version please let us know how it compares.
PhotoRoom_20240205_161854.jpeg

Ethos shave sticks in older formula are crazy good. at this point, I think Frank intends to make most of the shave sticks in his F Formula, and that is off-the-charts good also.

Top Bottom