What's new

Another first time PIF....Van Yulay Smokey Mountain Whiskey

Thought I would post a quick review. First of all, the scent of this is definitely unique - almost overwhelming if you smell it directly in the container. Smoky, whiskey and...something. Hard to describe. My first thought was a cabin in the woods with a campfire smoldering. It's an odd brown color, and required some 'mixing' as it looked like some of the oils had separated in transit. It's very soft (croap?) so mixing it back up was easy.

Lather - I haven't ever used a soft soap/croap so this was a bit of trial and error to get a good lather. It seemed to like water more than a cream, but it quickly got diluted so I had to add more product to the brush. Seems like it took a lot more -almost double amount - than what I use for a TOBS cream. But with a bit of perseverance I managed a decent lather for my typical 3 pass. Not the best, but decent. Not much left over in the bowl or brush when I was done so while it seemed like a lot of product it was about right.

The scent is much easier to take once lathered. Not the slickest soap, but that may be due to my less than stellar lather creation. Overall, a nice smooth DFS borderline BBS. I didn't use the AS since it was night and I was going to bed shortly and I was still trying to figure out the scent (good, bad, or neutral). Scent was faint, but still there about an hour later and I decided I didn't mind it at all. It's just a bit much at first, but seems to calm down after a while.

I'll try it again along with the AS at some point this weekend. The scent is so different that I am thinking it will take a few times to get used to it.

Thanks again to @DelayedNeutron for the PIF and opportunity to try something very different than my normal. And for the extra Astra and Vokshod blades he tossed in as well :thumbup1:

proxy.php

Thought I would post a quick review. First of all, the scent of this is definitely unique - almost overwhelming if you smell it directly in the container. Smoky, whiskey and...something. Hard to describe. My first thought was a cabin in the woods with a campfire smoldering. It's an odd brown color, and required some 'mixing' as it looked like some of the oils had separated in transit. It's very soft (croap?) so mixing it back up was easy.

Lather - I haven't ever used a soft soap/croap so this was a bit of trial and error to get a good lather. It seemed to like water more than a cream, but it quickly got diluted so I had to add more product to the brush. Seems like it took a lot more -almost double amount - than what I use for a TOBS cream. But with a bit of perseverance I managed a decent lather for my typical 3 pass. Not the best, but decent. Not much left over in the bowl or brush when I was done so while it seemed like a lot of product it was about right.

The scent is much easier to take once lathered. Not the slickest soap, but that may be due to my less than stellar lather creation. Overall, a nice smooth DFS borderline BBS. I didn't use the AS since it was night and I was going to bed shortly and I was still trying to figure out the scent (good, bad, or neutral). Scent was faint, but still there about an hour later and I decided I didn't mind it at all. It's just a bit much at first, but seems to calm down after a while.

I'll try it again along with the AS at some point this weekend. The scent is so different that I am thinking it will take a few times to get used to it.

Thanks again to @DelayedNeutron for the PIF and opportunity to try something very different than my normal. And for the extra Astra and Vokshod blades he tossed in as well :thumbup1:

proxy.php

Good stuff! I'm glad you enjoyed it and that you weren't immediately put off by the scent. I just simply couldn't deal with it.

I had the same issue getting a good lather--seemed like a very stingy soap and after a few tries it just wasn't something I wanted to deal with.

Hope it works out and you can use and enjoy it.

Smooth shaving, friend.

Top Bottom