What's new

Am I a good candidate for Blackbird Lite?

I am struggling with this razor, and it's the first razor I have ever really struggled with. First of all, I do not intend to be negative about this razor. This razor is gorgeous, and the build quality looks fantastic. However, this razor has me stumped. I am unable to get a BBS from this razor so far. It appears to be the least efficient razor in my large collection. I have zero problems with weepers, nicks, and overshaving.

My problem with the Lite is getting a BBS, and I love mild razors. I am a daily head and face shaver, so I love mild. I thought this razor would be perfect for me. My favorite razors are my Hensons and my Karve Overlander. I thought the Lite would be right in this wheelhouse, but have slightly more blade feel. So far the efficiency is far below the Henson and definitely the Overlander.

Am I using this wrong? I found this thread and saw some helpful tips along with the video. I typically use my Astra SP in this razor. Maybe I will try a sharper blade like Nacet or perma sharp. Has anyone had problems getting a BBS with the lite ? I thought I tried shaving at a shallow angle, but now I need to try again. I am used to henson and overlander and those are not shallow cap riding razors. Perhaps my muscle memory is messing me up. So, that's why I am leaving this post, to see if anyone else is having efficiency(lack of) issues with the Lite.

Also, do the blade tabs so slightly stick out on your Blackbird Lite razor? Tabs so slightly stick out of mine. Not enough to adjust the blade, but enough to nick your ears. I found this very odd. Why have the tabs stick out at all on a super premium razor like this? It almost makes me wonder if I got a defective razor head.

Thanks for any tips, I am going to keep trying with this razor.

Reactions: Kix
I've used those three razors - the Blackbird Lite is a completely different razor with a totally different approach. The Henson and the Overlander have rigid clamping and tiny blade reveal. The Blackbird is the opposite. Yes, re-watch that video to look at how shallow the approach is. All three use the top cap to guide your angle, but the Blackbird is much more shallow. Your experience with others might have you going too steep. Yes, I had better luck with a sharper blade, but that does increase the risk, so be careful.

Good luck!

I have the standard (not the Lite) plate, and it is very efficient for me when used at the recommended shallow angle. Basically, keep the flat portion of the head in contact with the skin. It took me some getting used to, as I tend to shave steeper, but once I got used to it, it's quite effective.

As the others have said, try to use a shallower angle than those other razors. The Blackbird technique is different from just about every other razor so take your time to let your technique adjust to the razor rather than the other way around.

It could also be the case that the Blackbird standard base plate is a better fit for your style. The Lite isn’t really intended to be a BBS machine, though it’s certainly possible. If BBS is a requirement, I’d recommend the standard plate. You can get there either way, but the standard plate makes it easier.

The blade tabs intentionally extend about 0.5mm on either side to assist with blade insertion and removal.

I am struggling with this razor, and it's the first razor I have ever really struggled with. First of all, I do not intend to be negative about this razor. This razor is gorgeous, and the build quality looks fantastic. However, this razor has me stumped. I am unable to get a BBS from this razor so far. It appears to be the least efficient razor in my large collection. I have zero problems with weepers, nicks, and overshaving.

My problem with the Lite is getting a BBS, and I love mild razors. I am a daily head and face shaver, so I love mild. I thought this razor would be perfect for me. My favorite razors are my Hensons and my Karve Overlander. I thought the Lite would be right in this wheelhouse, but have slightly more blade feel. So far the efficiency is far below the Henson and definitely the Overlander.

Am I using this wrong? I found this thread and saw some helpful tips along with the video. I typically use my Astra SP in this razor. Maybe I will try a sharper blade like Nacet or perma sharp. Has anyone had problems getting a BBS with the lite ? I thought I tried shaving at a shallow angle, but now I need to try again. I am used to henson and overlander and those are not shallow cap riding razors. Perhaps my muscle memory is messing me up. So, that's why I am leaving this post, to see if anyone else is having efficiency(lack of) issues with the Lite.

Also, do the blade tabs so slightly stick out on your Blackbird Lite razor? Tabs so slightly stick out of mine. Not enough to adjust the blade, but enough to nick your ears. I found this very odd. Why have the tabs stick out at all on a super premium razor like this? It almost makes me wonder if I got a defective razor head.

Thanks for any tips, I am going to keep trying with this razor.
I suck as a shaver, as my fine motor skills are not the best. The blackbird lite is the only DE that always give good results. My least favorite blade in it was the astra sp. it required more work, but I still got good results. My favorite blade for it is the perma-sharp.
I have the titanium version.

I've used those three razors - the Blackbird Lite is a completely different razor with a totally different approach. The Henson and the Overlander have rigid clamping and tiny blade reveal. The Blackbird is the opposite. Yes, re-watch that video to look at how shallow the approach is. All three use the top cap to guide your angle, but the Blackbird is much more shallow. Your experience with others might have you going too steep. Yes, I had better luck with a sharper blade, but that does increase the risk, so be careful.

Good luck!

Thanks for all of the responses. I am going to keep at it and try this razor with a Nacet or perma sharp and also work on a more shallow angle. AJMiami also confirmed it was more work with the Astra SP, which I typically love in all my razors. Now I can't wait to give this another shot. Thank you for confirming the blade tabs Blackland !

Just had another shave using the Blackbird Lite using a shallow shaving angle with a new Nacet blade. I did get the BBS result I like, though it took a little more cleanup. The shave was very comfortable and absolutely no weepers or "overshave". Redemption for the Blackbird Lite in my shave den, and definite user proficiency issue, not a razor problem. I need to shave with this the next couple of weeks so I can zoom through shaves with it. I think I am going to end up really liking this razor.

I am not a fan of feather blades, and most of my feathers remain unused. However, I have a feeling like the feather blade may be a perfect match for me in this razor. I only like feather blades in my merkur 34c, but I am going to try it in the BB as well.

I may even want to try the standard base plate now. Can I buy just the standard plate if I already have the Blackbird Lite razor/top cap ? Does Blackland ever have sales? The base plate is 82$ yikes !

Thanks for tips and link to the video really helped. Peace !

It is pretty amazing that a few engineers that make satellite components managed to change safety razors basically forever. My question is if your favorite razor is your Henson medium why spend a dime on something inferior? I have a blue Henson medium and the last thing on my mind is another razor. Well a Ti Henson is on my mind once in a while.

Just had another shave using the Blackbird Lite using a shallow shaving angle with a new Nacet blade. I did get the BBS result I like, though it took a little more cleanup. The shave was very comfortable and absolutely no weepers or "overshave". Redemption for the Blackbird Lite in my shave den, and definite user proficiency issue, not a razor problem. I need to shave with this the next couple of weeks so I can zoom through shaves with it. I think I am going to end up really liking this razor.

I am not a fan of feather blades, and most of my feathers remain unused. However, I have a feeling like the feather blade may be a perfect match for me in this razor. I only like feather blades in my merkur 34c, but I am going to try it in the BB as well.

I may even want to try the standard base plate now. Can I buy just the standard plate if I already have the Blackbird Lite razor/top cap ? Does Blackland ever have sales? The base plate is 82$ yikes !

The Nacet works best for me in both the standard and lite BB. Yes, you can buy just the plate and yes they do have sales although not very often. And usually it's a specific item on sale for a few days. Black Friday/Cyber Monday is usually the best bet for sales.

How do you gents like your Blackland Lite? I really like it but I hesitate due to the cost.
What are you looking for from your shave? What razors do you like now? What are you looking to improve?

Reason I ask is because we all have different goals here. Some want BBS or as close to it as possible. Others have sensitive skin and want a gentle shave without irritation.

Glad you dialed it in. The Lite plate, for me, is very much an autopilot daily driver shave. My favorite is the standard plate. In my opinion it’s well worth the money. I own several high end razors including Wolfman and Timeless offerings. If I could only keep one razor it would be my Blackbird With the standard plate. Enjoy!

Top Bottom