What's new

More Efficient But as Smooth As Overlander -- Daily Shaver

For a daily shaver with a combination of tough beard but mild skin and a VERY angular face with loose skin (I'm very thin), I've been struggling to find something more efficient than the Overlander but equally smooth/mild. I've tried MANY razors thus far, from Masamune to Hensons (thru Aggressive) to standard Blackbird (too aggressive).

Thus far the Overlander appears as close to "goldilocks" as it's gonna get for me, but curious if anyone has recommendations? I find the Overlander even with a (corked) Feather a bit too mild

I have to use a lot of face pulling, neck craning, cheek blowing, etc. due to my loose skin

Alternately, should I just give up the grail quest for near BBS daily? For those who do shave daily, do you simply go for "DFS" with 2, maybe 3 passes max, and call it good using a milder razor?

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to read the suggestions. Every time I pick up my Overlander after using a different razor, I'm blown away again at how gentle yet efficient it is. I admit I'm curious about the Timeless .95.

Edit to add: I've seen the Aylsworth Stainless Apex referred to as an Overlander Plus (the aluminum is not the same razor).

It'll be interesting to read the suggestions. Every time I pick up my Overlander after using a different razor, I'm blown away again at how gentle yet efficient it is. I admit I'm curious about the Timeless .95.

Edit to add: I've seen the Aylsworth Stainless Apex referred to as an Overlander Plus (the aluminum is not the same razor).
Well, I tried both the 0.68SB and 0.95SB and found the former too mild and the latter too aggressive for daily shaving. The 0.95SB I couldn't find a good blade for -- mild blades "tugged" at my whiskers (which is horrible) and sharp blades like Nacet, Israeli Reds, etc. were weaper / razor burn city. One that I probably should have kept was the SS Syntesi, which I think is right up there with the Overlander. Pity it's apparently gone in SS for good

The Lambda Athena may be the ticket. It's smooth and gentle but just not as much as the Overlander. It's the tradeoff for the extra efficiency. It's not crazy more efficient, but it's noticeable. You should check out the pass around.

Edit to add: Back when I was using my Lupo .95 I found the Dorco Titan to be a great blade -- sharp enough, but telegraphed enough warning to not get me in trouble. The Dorco Prime is the same.

Here’s what I own/use that work for me as a daily shaver - (and the Overlander is tremendous for me):

Atelier Durdan Le Maurice 1.0
Wolfman WR2 .95
Lambda Athena

Or are you open to SE’s?

I find Atelier Durdan La Faulx ++ to be as smooth or smother then the Overlander (mine is brass) and more efficient

Last edited:

The Apex is a great razor but it's definitely a big step up in efficiency compared to the Overlander, it also comes with much less safety. I think it's a very nice razor, the manufacturing quality is top notch and the design is extremely efficient for how little blade feel it has, but personally, it's too much for daily shaving for me. Granted I have sensitive skin so perhaps other people would have a different experience but to me, the Apex is so efficient yet lacks pronounced blade feel which makes it easy to perform your whole shave with no discomfort and find you have several weepers you did not even feel during the shave.

I would recommend giving up on the obsessive BBS everyday and going for a comfortable DFS+.
As far as a razor which is as gentle as the Overlander and more efficient, I'm not sure exists.
These razors come to mind but are not exactly as gentle as the Overlander:

• Lambda Athena --> the only one I think is almost as gentle as the Overlander and more efficient
  • Muhle Rocca --> more efficient but more blade feel
  • EJ 3one6 --> same as Muhle Rocca
  • Chiseled face legacy --> Never tried it but supposedly high gap neutral exposure and quite efficient
  • Yates model 921 with H plate --> probably a bit more blade feel and more efficiency
  • Aylsworth Apex SS --> much more efficiency, not a ton of blade feel but beware what you ask for, you won't feel weepers.
  • Yaqi Ghost .90mm --> I have not tried it but on paper it's .90mm gap and neutral exposure, should be more efficient than the Overlander and not very aggressive

Last edited:
In my experience, the razor that is a step above the Overlander in efficiency is the Henson AL13+++. It's not quite as easy on the skin as the Overlander, but if used with proper technique, can be very easy on the skin, with no irritation. And it gives a wonderful, close shave.

If you still have yours, you might want to give it another try, using a light touch.

YMMV

I'd say Apex SS, with a smooth blade and a light touch, might be that step up you are looking for. I've owned one for a few months and shave with it on 36-48 hours of growth, Overlander for 24-36.

I've recently revisited the Henson +++ and have gotten better results with it, I think I'd been using too much pressure to (over)compenate for the light weight. Light touch!

Looking up the Athena...

For a daily shaver with a combination of tough beard but mild skin and a VERY angular face with loose skin (I'm very thin), I've been struggling to find something more efficient than the Overlander but equally smooth/mild. I've tried MANY razors thus far, from Masamune to Hensons (thru Aggressive) to standard Blackbird (too aggressive).

Thus far the Overlander appears as close to "goldilocks" as it's gonna get for me, but curious if anyone has recommendations? I find the Overlander even with a (corked) Feather a bit too mild

I have to use a lot of face pulling, neck craning, cheek blowing, etc. due to my loose skin

Alternately, should I just give up the grail quest for near BBS daily? For those who do shave daily, do you simply go for "DFS" with 2, maybe 3 passes max, and call it good using a milder razor?

Believe the Bison by Karve is milder than the Overlander, there was a recent U-Tube by Karve Dealer in Phoenix, Razor Emporium Bison v/s Overlander. Might go to U-Tube, and check out the info. Deal is with Bison is ONLY TODAY AVAILABLE in Aluminum, Brass, and Stainless are in pipe for the future. U-Tube was recent in last 7-8 days so should be east to find. Bison is Milder Like Gillette Tech.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I think all my Top Razors, as far as I can tell.... are 1/2 a step more efficient than the Overlander....

I don't want to list them all... but if you are interested, you can check out my journal...

Standouts?

if forced, I'd say the La Faulx Classic would be a solid recommendation but it's an AC razor and that might not work for you. And it's ummmmmmm expensive, another disqualifier, perhaps.

That leads me to:

1. Lambda Athena
2. Timeless Ti 0.68OC.... more efficient than the scalloped or solid safety bars, or so I've read and not as efficient as the 0.95 versions so for many, it can be used daily.
3. Goodfella's Smile Bayonetta.... a very economical one to try... For me, it shaves very, Very well.
4. PAA Filament... It's a double slant, OC plastic razor but don't let the light weight and cheap price fool you... For me, it's wonderful.

The rest of my Top Razors are not available at the moment or are pretty pricey.

I like the suggestion of the Athena.
Another one to consider is the current Paradigm Diamondback being offered in
shiny Titanium.
In its SS form, many reviewers have described as very efficient and with "a ghost
blade feel". They explain this by saying that they almost don't seem to feel the blade.
The maker will release more in a couple of months I guess but they will be priced
at $350...certainly not a blind buy.

I think all my Top Razors, as far as I can tell.... are 1/2 a step more efficient than the Overlander....

I don't want to list them all... but if you are interested, you can check out my journal...

Standouts?

if forced, I'd say the La Faulx Classic would be a solid recommendation but it's an AC razor and that might not work for you. And it's ummmmmmm expensive, another disqualifier, perhaps.

That leads me to:

1. Lambda Athena
2. Timeless Ti 0.68OC.... more efficient than the scalloped or solid safety bars, or so I've read and not as efficient as the 0.95 versions so for many, it can be used daily.
3. Goodfella's Smile Bayonetta.... a very economical one to try... For me, it shaves very, Very well.
4. PAA Filament... It's a double slant, OC plastic razor but don't let the light weight and cheap price fool you... For me, it's wonderful.

The rest of my Top Razors are not available at the moment or are pretty pricey.

How would you describe the bayonetta in terms of blade feel and efficiency ? It seems you put it above the Overlander in efficiency, does it amplify the blade feel quite a bit ? I read it has a 0.15mm blade exposure which is twice bigger than the Overlander but it also has a different geometry so that's why I'm asking.

Top Bottom