What's new

Am I a good candidate for Blackbird Lite?

I've been shaving with a DE for almost 2 years now. My favorite razor is a Henson medium, but I've gotten pretty good results with any Henson, a Karve Overlander, and Le Maurice 1.0-1.4 plates. I've also tried a Lupo .58 which was ok, and am using a Fatip Piccolo right now which is going pretty well so far, if not quite as well as my favorites. "Good results" to me is a close shave (DFS+/BBS-) with few weepers (ideally none) without spending too much time in front of the sink. I'm currently the only member of B&B who doesn't have a coarse beard and sensitive skin; as far as I know, both are pretty average.

So I got a steel SB Blackbird back in March/April. First couple of shaves went ok. Took my time, didn't push things past DFS, got 4-5 little pinprick weepers that didn't last past the rinse. When I tried to start pushing for a closer shave though, that's when the trouble really started. I was able to get to DFS+ level shaves, but drew a lot of blood in the process. And it was taking way too long to get there, being very careful and meticulous with my strokes and shaving angle so as to not cut myself even more. After 3 weeks or so shaving about every other day with little improvement, I put the Blackbird away.

I want to give the Blackbird 1 more try, see if a few more months of improving technique with other razors helps me out here. But first I wanted to ask the Blackbird connoisseurs, am I a good candidate for the Lite plate? It seems targeted at folks who don't like the blade feel of the standard. I don't mind the blade feel, I just don't like getting a metric crap-ton of weepers. Will the Lite plate will solve all my problems, let me more easily achieve the closeness I'm looking for without all the cuts? Or will I get somewhat fewer weepers, but take even longer to shave and/or get an even less close shave?

So... Is it worth my while trying out a Lite plate, or am I best off just trying again with the standard and see how it goes? Is there any reason to think that someone like me would benefit from the Lite? Seems a good time to ask with the 15% off sale, but it's still a lot of money to shell out if it's unlikely to be much better for me. Anyone here try out the standard plate, hate it, then go on to love the Lite? If so, why? What's so different about it that made it a much better fit for you?

Ordered a Blackbird as well as the Lite plate yesterday. Figured it might be a little gentler for head shaves.

Have you tried different razor blades in your Blackbird?

Reactions: Kix
I've been shaving with a DE for almost 2 years now. My favorite razor is a Henson medium, but I've gotten pretty good results with any Henson, a Karve Overlander, and Le Maurice 1.0-1.4 plates. I've also tried a Lupo .58 which was ok, and am using a Fatip Piccolo right now which is going pretty well so far, if not quite as well as my favorites. "Good results" to me is a close shave (DFS+/BBS-) with few weepers (ideally none) without spending too much time in front of the sink. I'm currently the only member of B&B who doesn't have a coarse beard and sensitive skin; as far as I know, both are pretty average.

So I got a steel SB Blackbird back in March/April. First couple of shaves went ok. Took my time, didn't push things past DFS, got 4-5 little pinprick weepers that didn't last past the rinse. When I tried to start pushing for a closer shave though, that's when the trouble really started. I was able to get to DFS+ level shaves, but drew a lot of blood in the process. And it was taking way too long to get there, being very careful and meticulous with my strokes and shaving angle so as to not cut myself even more. After 3 weeks or so shaving about every other day with little improvement, I put the Blackbird away.

I want to give the Blackbird 1 more try, see if a few more months of improving technique with other razors helps me out here. But first I wanted to ask the Blackbird connoisseurs, am I a good candidate for the Lite plate? It seems targeted at folks who don't like the blade feel of the standard. I don't mind the blade feel, I just don't like getting a metric crap-ton of weepers. Will the Lite plate will solve all my problems, let me more easily achieve the closeness I'm looking for without all the cuts? Or will I get somewhat fewer weepers, but take even longer to shave and/or get an even less close shave?

So... Is it worth my while trying out a Lite plate, or am I best off just trying again with the standard and see how it goes? Is there any reason to think that someone like me would benefit from the Lite? Seems a good time to ask with the 15% off sale, but it's still a lot of money to shell out if it's unlikely to be much better for me. Anyone here try out the standard plate, hate it, then go on to love the Lite? If so, why? What's so different about it that made it a much better fit for you?
I would suggest trying the regular BB with a very shallow angle. Makes a world of difference to me.

I'm currently the only member of B&B who doesn't have a coarse beard and sensitive skin; as far as I know, both are pretty average.

I hope this was tongue-in-cheek, because I find it hilarious. My beard seems average to the point of boredom. Remember, without us there would be no "bell" in the curve.

Sorry that I cannot offer any useful advice. 🙂

The BB is the only efficient razor I have used that needs a little pressure, but you need to engage the top cap using a shallow angle. The lite is less efficient, but the design is the same, so the required technique is the same.

Ordered a Blackbird as well as the Lite plate yesterday. Figured it might be a little gentler for head shaves.

Have you tried different razor blades in your Blackbird?
I tried an Indian Wilkinson Sword, a Polsilver, and a Voskhod. None of them did a thing for me, but the Wilkie was the least bad.

I would suggest trying the regular BB with a very shallow angle. Makes a world of difference to me.
The BB is the only efficient razor I have used that needs a little pressure, but you need to engage the top cap using a shallow angle. The lite is less efficient, but the design is the same, so the required technique is the same.
I tried my best to keep as shallow as I could while still cutting. Probably wasn't perfect, but part of why the shaves took so long I think was paying such close attention to the angle.

I hope this was tongue-in-cheek, because I find it hilarious. My beard seems average to the point of boredom. Remember, without us there would be no "bell" in the curve.

Sorry that I cannot offer any useful advice. 🙂
It was. Seems a common combination here. 🙂 But I've seen some mention recently that they didn't try the standard plate because of sensitive skin but love the Lite. Just wanted to be clear that's not why I'm considering the Lite.

That's an impressive collection you're building!!

They offer a risk-free trial…
That is a good point. Still, if there's a consensus that it's probably not going to do what I want it to, then I don't want to bother ordering if I'm most likely going to return. My feeling from what I've read is that either I'll make the standard 'Bird work or I won't, but the Lite isn't what I'm looking for. But if there's folks who have had the same problems as me with the standard and liked the Lite, I'll give the Lite a shot.

I hate to say it, but I don't think you'll like the Lite much better than the standard BB. It sounds like the standard BB is not for you, not sure why you've kept it, but the Lite is much the same....just with a bit less blade exposure and less blade gap, resulting in less blade feel and a less aggressive shave.

I love the Lite. But then I also love the standard BB.

Can you get hold of a pack of Gillette 7 O’Clock Sharp Edge (yellow pack). It’s what I use in my steel BB and absolutely love the results.

That's an impressive collection you're building!!
LOL, that's the other thing, I'd rather be paring down the collection than building up. I'm a simple guy, I only have 1 face, I feel like I really only need 1 razor. (Or maybe 2, a nice daily driver, and another razor for travel.) But I want to try a few out and keep 1-2 favorites.

I hate to say it, but I don't think you'll like the Lite much better than the standard BB. It sounds like the standard BB is not for you, not sure why you've kept it, but the Lite is much the same....just with a bit less blade exposure and less blade gap, resulting in less blade feel and a less aggressive shave.

I love the Lite. But then I also love the standard BB.
That was my initial thought too, so I really appreciate this feedback. I almost didn't post because I expected mostly fans and enablers to tell me that the Blackbird is the best, if you didn't like it, you'll definitely love the Lite.

Reason I've kept it? I know it does have a lot of fans who love it, and I wanted to give it another try after a few months. It's very different from the razors that have worked best for me, but maybe it'll click with me second time around. But if not, I do have others that work well for me.

LOL, that's the other thing, I'd rather be paring down the collection than building up. I'm a simple guy, I only have 1 face, I feel like I really only need 1 razor. (Or maybe 2, a nice daily driver, and another razor for travel.) But I want to try a few out and keep 1-2 favorites.
I agree but I find pairing down easier said than done.
Until recently I used the same brush everyday for about 18 months. Now I'm up to five and seriously considering a sixth! LOL

Top Bottom