What's new

Christopher Bradley replacement for 34c (or maybe a Henson?)

Hi, I am currently using a Merkur 34C which I have used for 10+ years but is in the advanced stages of zamak rot.

I also own a Muhle r89, but find this bit too mild for my liking, and a tad unforgiving, in the sense that without proper attention you will get a crappy shave, even with two passes.

I am currently toying with buying a Karve Christopher Bradley razor as a replacement for my trusty HD - could anybody suggest which plate is closes to the HD in terms of aggression/efficiency?

The Henson is also under consideration, just to throw that in there

Thanks.

I haven't tried a Karve (a little pricey for my taste) but if you like the 34C and want a little bit more efficiency without breaking the bank, you might get along well with the Pearl Blaze.
Thanks, that's not one I had considered, I'll check it out

Yes, the C would be a good choice. I found D to be a sweet spot. I will also muddy the water by suggesting the Overlander. The razors are both butter smooth, but I am currently in the honeymoon period with the Overlander and am finding it magical.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I also don't have a Christopher Bradley.... but I do enjoy the Goodfellas' Smile Bayonetta.... It falls into the upper end of the mild efficiency zone for me.... I get 12 hour shaves with it... I didn't care for the finish so I hand polished the brass with Simichrome a couple times and it looks brilliant now. Bonus? It's under $60 on Amazon.

All my Top Razors fit into that narrow zone: from the upper mild to the lower medium efficiency range, as a point of reference.

I also don't have a Christopher Bradley.... but I do enjoy the Goodfellas' Smile Bayonetta.... It falls into the upper end of the mild efficiency zone for me.... I get 12 hour shaves with it... I didn't care for the finish so I hand polished the brass with Simichrome a couple times and it looks brilliant now. Bonus? It's under $60 on Amazon.

All my Top Razors fit into that narrow zone: from the upper mild to the lower medium efficiency range, as a point of reference.
Thanks, I've been looking at the Bayonetta, but was concerned it might be a tad aggressive for me. You have reassured me somewhat, although it seems to be currently unavailable here in the UK.

Which part of the 34C is corroding? If only the top cap and post, it may be worth replacing. I believe Merkur will give a free replacement for its European customers if you contact their support. Here in the USA, we have to buy that part. However, if the bottom plate on the handle is corroded, then it is probably unrestorable.

The Karve brass CB was the second razor I ever bought, and many more have followed. With that said the Karve is still in my rotation. I started with the B and C closed comb plates and have progressed to G closed comb and F open comb. If you decide on the Karve CB, I would suggest getting both the C & D closed comb plates. The plates not expensive to buy, but the freight is when adding a plate later on.

Which part of the 34C is corroding? If only the top cap and post, it may be worth replacing. I believe Merkur will give a free replacement for its European customers if you contact their support. Here in the USA, we have to buy that part. However, if the bottom plate on the handle is corroded, then it is probably unrestorable.
Sadly it is the bottom plate - not much to be done about that, I agree.

Hi, I am currently using a Merkur 34C which I have used for 10+ years but is in the advanced stages of zamak rot.

I also own a Muhle r89, but find this bit too mild for my liking, and a tad unforgiving, in the sense that without proper attention you will get a crappy shave, even with two passes.

I am currently toying with buying a Karve Christopher Bradley razor as a replacement for my trusty HD - could anybody suggest which plate is closes to the HD in terms of aggression/efficiency?

The Henson is also under consideration, just to throw that in there

Thanks.
Why not buy a Rockwell 6s or T2s and have a solid razor from stainless steel for life?

Another option, depending on your budget, is to consider a Yates. The Merica is quite a nice performing razor IMO.
A little pricey for me, also hard to source in the UK (although that isn't stopping me from eyeing a Karve)

Top Bottom