What's new

Am I a good candidate for Blackbird Lite?

Nacet is my blade of choice in the BB and BB Lite. Always scores around 9.5-10.0 for me.
I was a bit scared to try a really sharp blade, Polsilver was about as sharp as I was willing to go the first time. I’ve only recently gotten to where I prefer sharper blades in other razors. That said, Nacet is my favorite sharp right now, I’ll give that one a go too when I get the ‘Bird back out.

@T Bone The good news is you still have the Blackbird so all you'll need is the Lite plate and as mentioned earlier there's always the 30 day return policy if you don't like it.

If I might make a suggestion it would be to try a few blades that Shane has suggested in the past being Feathers, Perma-Sharps which is what I received with my TiBB, and the Personna's send out nowadays with the razors. I'd also suggest for the regular Blackbird you have to try to use the first angle on the top cap as a guide which is in the 30 deg range in stead of a full on shallow angle. Shane did a video not too far back on shaving with the Blackbird and the optimal angle the razor was designed to use.

If I might make a suggestion it would be to try a few blades that Shane has suggested in the past being Feathers, Perma-Sharps which is what I received with my TiBB, and the Personna's send out nowadays with the razors. I'd also suggest for the regular Blackbird you have to try to use the first angle on the top cap as a guide which is in the 30 deg range in stead of a full on shallow angle. Shane did a video not too far back on shaving with the Blackbird and the optimal angle the razor was designed to use.
Appreciate the suggestions, I’ll definitely be trying out some different blades. I’ll see if I can’t find those videos you mentioned too, thank you.

You are exactly who we made the Lite for! It's designed specifically for people who find the Blackbird to be too much razor. It's a more manageable, user-friendly version of the Blackbird and it sounds like that's precisely what you need.
Hey, thanks for the response. Nobody knows the Blackbird better than you, and you don't seem one to recommend a bad fit, maybe I will give it a shot then. I'll order in a few days, I have a short trip coming up and won't get to trying it out until I get back anyways. Don't want to start the return clock running too soon, just in case it doesn't work out.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for the response. Nobody knows the Blackbird better than you, and you don't seem one to recommend a bad fit, maybe I will give it a shot then. I'll order in a few days, I have a short trip coming up and won't get to trying it out until I get back anyways. Don't want to start the return clock running too soon, just in case it doesn't work out.

Sounds good! We also don’t mind extending the return window for a week or so when appropriate. If needed, just shoot an email to support.

I think you will find it a homerun. It’s a bit more efficient than the Overlander or Henson ++.
The Lite is? Ok, now I’m definitely intrigued. I was afraid that even if it reduces the weeper count, it would take twice as long as those other 2 razors to get as close as I’m looking for.

The Lite is? Ok, now I’m definitely intrigued. I was afraid that even if it reduces the weeper count, it would take twice as long as those other 2 razors to get as close as I’m looking for.
I would say you will never get a weeper with the Lite compared to the standard BB Ti. You definitely will get closer shaves than the Henson ++. The Overlander with a feather also does a great job, but I would definitely say the lite plate is more efficient. There is more blade feel, but definitely not menacing. I love that plate, I have 2 of them in Ti (one is at a friend who has alligator skin, he shaves with a WR2 1.55/1.65 which is crazy). He also can get BBS shaves with it. If you hold on a few days, I’ll get mine back out and compare again. I have a review of it somewhere here, link it.

I think it’s around February 3rd in it.

I would say you will never get a weeper with the Lite compared to the standard BB Ti.
Hehe, challenge accepted. I’m fully capable of giving myself a weeper or 2 with a Henson+ in pursuit of BBS. But point taken. 🙂

You definitely will get closer shaves than the Henson ++. The Overlander with a feather also does a great job, but I would definitely say the lite plate is more efficient. There is more blade feel, but definitely not menacing.
Well I’m convinced that it’s at least worth a shot. Blade feel doesn’t bother me, so if it’s in the same ballpark as Henson++ and Overlander for safety and efficiency, then it’ll be worth it. And if I can’t make it work, I’m only out the cost of shipping.

Hehe, challenge accepted. I’m fully capable of giving myself a weeper or 2 with a Henson+ in pursuit of BBS. But point taken. 🙂

Well I’m convinced that it’s at least worth a shot. Blade feel doesn’t bother me, so if it’s in the same ballpark as Henson++ and Overlander for safety and efficiency, then it’ll be worth it. And if I can’t make it work, I’m only out the cost of shipping.
The gap is smaller, less chance of a weeper than the Henson, yet it’s more efficient. It’s a winner for those with sensitive skin in my eyes.

Good choice guys! What do you have to loose! Shane is great at keeping you in the loop and communicating with. That’s why I am a returning customer. Have 3 Blackbirds ti + 1 lite ti plate. Call me a fan ;)

edit : lately my neck passes are amazing with the lite plate, highly recommended for those with sensitive necks like mine

Good choice guys! What do you have to loose! Shane is great at keeping you in the loop and communicating with. That’s why I am a returning customer. Have 3 Blackbirds ti + 1 lite ti plate. Call me a fan ;)

edit : lately my neck passes are amazing with the lite plate, highly recommended for those with sensitive necks like mine
Hi Marius, that is exactly where it shines for me… very few razors allow me BBS without irritation at the neck.

Blackbird Lite, first flight

IMG_3343.jpeg

The Lite plate came on Wednesday after I already shaved, so first shave today. I was tentative and took things slower than usual, but otherwise shaved 2 passes as I normally would. First pass is a XTG/ATG hybrid, second pass is heavy cleanup.

First thing I noticed was remarkably less blade feel than I remember with the standard plate, though as I said in my first post, it wasn't the blade feel that bothered me, it was all the cuts. In that respect, things went great until near the end. I did get a weeper off the corner of my mouth, and then maybe 3 little pinpricks on my upper lip from stupidly over-buffing. But I won't blame the razor for me being stupid. 🙂 This plate is clearly gentler than the standard, as alum feedback was basically nil except for my mustache and just under my chin.

Next thing I look for is how close it gets. Face is BBS, neck and jawlines are smooth in parts and a bit rough ATG in others, definitely DFS+ range, I'd call it 8/10 (which is good, I don't rate 9+ very often). Last thing is I want to be able to finish quickly and get on with my day, but I intentionally took my time today, so I'll see if I can shave faster and get these results as I get more comfortable with it.

Overall, a great start - DFS+ with essentially 1 weeper. I'm cautiously optimistic. Of course, that's also how I felt after my first shave with the standard plate, but this was objectively a better shave, and I was much more tentative with the standard plate; this was much closer to how I normally shave. I have a short trip next week, so I'll start a solid couple of weeks with the Litebird when I get back and decide then if I'm going to stick with it.

Blackbird Lite, first flight

View attachment 1671808

The Lite plate came on Wednesday after I already shaved, so first shave today. I was tentative and took things slower than usual, but otherwise shaved 2 passes as I normally would. First pass is a XTG/ATG hybrid, second pass is heavy cleanup.

First thing I noticed was remarkably less blade feel than I remember with the standard plate, though as I said in my first post, it wasn't the blade feel that bothered me, it was all the cuts. In that respect, things went great until near the end. I did get a weeper off the corner of my mouth, and then maybe 3 little pinpricks on my upper lip from stupidly over-buffing. But I won't blame the razor for me being stupid. 🙂 This plate is clearly gentler than the standard, as alum feedback was basically nil except for my mustache and just under my chin.

Next thing I look for is how close it gets. Face is BBS, neck and jawlines are smooth in parts and a bit rough ATG in others, definitely DFS+ range, I'd call it 8/10 (which is good, I don't rate 9+ very often). Last thing is I want to be able to finish quickly and get on with my day, but I intentionally took my time today, so I'll see if I can shave faster and get these results as I get more comfortable with it.

Overall, a great start - DFS+ with essentially 1 weeper. I'm cautiously optimistic. Of course, that's also how I felt after my first shave with the standard plate, but this was objectively a better shave, and I was much more tentative with the standard plate; this was much closer to how I normally shave. I have a short trip next week, so I'll start a solid couple of weeks with the Litebird when I get back and decide then if I'm going to stick with it.
Try using the Nacet or Minora Stainless blade

I've been shaving with a DE for almost 2 years now. My favorite razor is a Henson medium, but I've gotten pretty good results with any Henson, a Karve Overlander, and Le Maurice 1.0-1.4 plates. I've also tried a Lupo .58 which was ok, and am using a Fatip Piccolo right now which is going pretty well so far, if not quite as well as my favorites. "Good results" to me is a close shave (DFS+/BBS-) with few weepers (ideally none) without spending too much time in front of the sink. I'm currently the only member of B&B who doesn't have a coarse beard and sensitive skin; as far as I know, both are pretty average.

So I got a steel SB Blackbird back in March/April. First couple of shaves went ok. Took my time, didn't push things past DFS, got 4-5 little pinprick weepers that didn't last past the rinse. When I tried to start pushing for a closer shave though, that's when the trouble really started. I was able to get to DFS+ level shaves, but drew a lot of blood in the process. And it was taking way too long to get there, being very careful and meticulous with my strokes and shaving angle so as to not cut myself even more. After 3 weeks or so shaving about every other day with little improvement, I put the Blackbird away.

I want to give the Blackbird 1 more try, see if a few more months of improving technique with other razors helps me out here. But first I wanted to ask the Blackbird connoisseurs, am I a good candidate for the Lite plate? It seems targeted at folks who don't like the blade feel of the standard. I don't mind the blade feel, I just don't like getting a metric crap-ton of weepers. Will the Lite plate will solve all my problems, let me more easily achieve the closeness I'm looking for without all the cuts? Or will I get somewhat fewer weepers, but take even longer to shave and/or get an even less close shave?

So... Is it worth my while trying out a Lite plate, or am I best off just trying again with the standard and see how it goes? Is there any reason to think that someone like me would benefit from the Lite? Seems a good time to ask with the 15% off sale, but it's still a lot of money to shell out if it's unlikely to be much better for me. Anyone here try out the standard plate, hate it, then go on to love the Lite? If so, why? What's so different about it that made it a much better fit for you?
I had a blackbird lite and sold the plate. It was not very efficient. The blackbird requires a very steep angle almost with the handle parallel to the skin. With this angle you can control the shave. Try it, master the angle and you will enjoy the razor. Angle is everything in a comfortable efficient shave. The blackbird happens to be very forgiving...

Top Bottom