I just don't get any luck with fatboys!

IMG_20180907_210602734.jpg
IMG_20180907_210608646.jpg
IMG_20180907_210612848.jpg
IMG_20180907_210618554.jpg

Is it salvageable?

I just don't get any luck with fatboys!

Is it salvageable?
Easily salvageable, and if you have patience, you can do it yourself. There are tons of threads here on B&B that will walk you through it. Basically, bend a *tiny* amount, measure, repeat until you get an even gap all along - about 0.032" at Setting 5.

Easily salvageable, and if you have patience, you can do it yourself. There are tons of threads here on B&B that will walk you through it. Basically, bend a *tiny* amount, measure, repeat until you get an even gap all along - about 0.032" at Setting 5.

Does the cable tie method around the safety bar beat out the flat head screwdriver or are they about as risky as eachother?

Also one of the silo doors has bent inward slightly. Not obvious from pics.

Thanks for advice

Does the cable tie method around the safety bar beat out the flat head screwdriver or are they about as risky as eachother?

Also one of the silo doors has bent inward slightly. Not obvious from pics.
Sorry, I've never used anything other than a butter knife - never considered the cable tie or screwdriver since the butter knife works so well fire me.

As for the bent door, you'll need to address that before evening out the gap. The gap measurements are made with respect to the blade positioned by the doors.

Right I have made some adjustments.

Didn't notice originally until I put a blade in but it was under clocked & the "good" side safety bar bent upwards slightly!

However after some ticketing with a small hammer & a little pry bar ( spanner you get with IKEA furniture)

I have got it back to something almost even.

IMG_20180912_190305412.jpg
IMG_20180912_190328388.jpg
IMG_20180912_190315822.jpg
IMG_20180912_190259368.jpg
IMG_20180912_190249900.jpg

This is the result of pry bar & a hammer.

I cannot think of an easy way to unbend the door.

Going to try a shave tomorrow.

Surprised I can get a decent shave with this.

My other better condition fat boy shaves better, it feels smoother.

However this one does work, it will replace my lord l6 razor I keep in work

Sorry for digging up this thread but I'm also having an issue with my Slim Adjustable.
It's only a small difference but it's noticeable.

In the attached image the razor is on setting 5 and you can see the safety bar is slightly out of alignment. (red lines)
When you look inside the gap you can see that on the right side the "endblock" of the safety bar is almost touching the door and on the left side it has a bigger gap. (green lines)

I assume that the right side of the safety bar should be lowered.

I tried the screwdriver and the zip-tie technique and when I do this the safety bar moves but also gets back to the same position afterwards. I'm hesitant to put more pressure on it as I don't want to screw up my razor.

It shaves well enough but obviously I want it to shave perfectly :)

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Kim

Attachments

• Slim.jpg
    Slim.jpg
    9.7 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:
R

romsitsa

Sorry for digging up this thread but I'm also having an issue with my Slim Adjustable.
It's only a small difference but it's noticeable.

In the attached image the razor is on setting 5 and you can see the safety bar is slightly out of alignment. (red lines)
When you look inside the gap you can see that on the right side the "endblock" of the safety bar is almost touching the door and on the left side it has a bigger gap. (green lines)

I assume that the right side of the safety bar should be lowered.

I tried the screwdriver and the zip-tie technique and when I do this the safety bar moves but also gets back to the same position afterwards. I'm hesitant to put more pressure on it as I don't want to screw up my razor.

It shaves well enough but obviously I want it to shave perfectly :)

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Kim

Hello Kim,

I'm not sure that the base plate is bent.
The later slim variant, like yours, has the end connectors pressed onto the T-bar. This connection can become loose and the adjuster plate will push the affected side of the door slightly higher. Open the doors and check wether the end connectors have a slight play.

Adam

Hi, it's a 1967 (M date code).
I can "rock" the end connectors from left to right a little bit and the t-bar moves along with them.
When I push the left end connector with 2 fingers on both sides of it it moves very slightly but the doors stay still.
When I push the right end connector the same way it moves more and the doors wiggle along with it.

Is this what you mean? If yes, can I solve that myself?

R

romsitsa

Hello Kim,

yes, this could also cause the uneven gap. If you can adjust the gap by fiddling around with the end connector on the closed head, this will be the root of the problem. It can be crimped back, but it's really tedious to do as there is almost zero space next to the connectors.

Adam

Also,

Now I'm looking at it differently it seems that the safety bar is straight but that the doors are out of alignment.
They open and close perfectly en smoothly but when you look at them in de direction as I took the picture and close them slowly you can see that 1 side is higher than the other...

Hi,
Sorry for bringing back an old thread but this is the best one I’ve found about bending things straight. I have recently acquired a slim adjustable that looks like it’s been thrown across a room. I’ve got no problem with bending things back and stripping it down. What I’m struggling with is working out exactly what part or parts are bent. The safety bars look bent but also when raising the doors one end looks to reach the baseplate faster. One door looks a little lower to me and they open different to my aristocrat Jr tried to add a video. I’ve already bent the end plate back as this was very obviously out with one door miles ahead. Ive felt the crimps and I can wobble both sides a tiny amount but no up and down movement. I’ve tried to include as much detail in the pictures as possible. I’ve heard Caps name mentioned a lot in many threads but as I’m in the UK I’m not sure sending it anywhere would be worth it.
869F8C51-D748-4840-83A6-569A2FEF76A0.jpeg
11724E22-0422-46B0-BE7F-DD5AAB698E18.jpeg
EB40410A-F153-42D6-86C5-B92979121D97.jpeg
04EF2834-A032-4E55-97EF-932126638FD9.jpeg
D8DD729C-E2A4-4CB0-B10C-8AD7EE568ED5.jpeg
7ACC5D80-B432-45D8-82DF-E99B4D9E5DCC.jpeg
E6FE08A7-3423-42B3-B769-FC9176658408.jpeg
01C304AE-CFD2-4719-8EDF-B93236E5B77E.jpeg
6B8003F0-DB3D-4E0C-82C6-C3DB7CE3D7B8.jpeg
8B8D36C8-0871-4791-8825-A85D774D94E3.jpeg

This is the video of the doors opening
1A556406-9157-4E4E-80D1-7ACCE824703F.gif

Also some more pictures let me know if anymore would help
38A0BE35-BE16-40A7-A071-9766C8EDFC23.jpeg
FE8FF3B0-9225-471C-A23A-1C714FED065A.jpeg
2F602480-1993-42E9-B2A3-5976768AF93C.jpeg

thanks for the help looking forward to trying my first shave with this if I can get it sorted out.

Thought I would answer a question in a thread for the benefit of the B&B. I mentioned in a recent thread that many Fat Boy and slim adjustables that I have had in my possession have asymmetric safety bars. Most likely this is due to the soft brass safety bar being bent after being dropped or bumped. If you look closely and your razor looks like a slant, you might need to carefully even out the safety bar.

It is relatively easy to do this with a regular flat head screwdriver. First, please use caution and if you are afraid of scratching the finish DO NOT PROCEED. For those who are more brave first set the adjustable to 1. This lowers the base plate in the razor head. If you don't do this, the torque can sometimes strip the adjustment mechanism downward resulting in an under clocked razor (also fixable). Next, insert the head of the screwdriver in the slot on the bottom of the razor head underneath the side of the safety bar that has been bent down. If you are careful and keep the blade flat against the metal you can minimize any wear on the razor's finish. If you want, you can cover the screwdriver blade with a thin cloth or a folded paper towel. Then with the screwdriver wedged firmly in place, carefully pull the screwdriver away from the razor handle. This lifts the safety bar that is in direct contact with the screwdriver blade. A few gentle but firm pulls will slowly bend the safety bar back up to the propoer position. Remove the screwdriver frequently to check if the blade gap is even and try not to over correct. Most razors have safety bars bent downwards. Voila! Your slant is now a restored razor!

Please only do this on your shaver grade razors that are out of alignment!!
Thank you!

While searching for some advice on how to fix a Slim adjustable I purchased at auction, I came across this thread. Mine has "slanted" safety bars on both sides, with the gap going from mild at one end to aggressive at the other.

You often hear advice on this site to buy a wonderful Gillette adjustable for the shave of your life, etc. But you don't hear much about the risks of getting a damaged razor, and what to look for. Judging from this and other threads, as well as photos of razors at auction, this is not an uncommon problem.

Back in the 50s and 60s, I bet a lot of guys in a hurry shaved in the shower, provided the razor was mild enough, and dropped them. The damage was not as devastating as a broken post on a three-piece razor, so most went on using the razor, especially young shavers. Other older, more knowledgeable guys would buy a new one, and put the damaged razor away, sometimes in excellent condition; decades later, these are showing up for sale.

I suspect one reason many Gillette razors were so mild during this period was to make it easier to shave in the shower. But when they got bent, they were no longer so mild, and the adjustable settings that had worked before were now more like a shark attack. I came to hate my Gillette adjustable, and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Now I know.

I have another clean, top of the line Gillette adjustable that is not damaged at all, but it does not provide a close, efficient, comfortable shave. So I am moving on.

But there are plenty of others who might like them, perhaps just to look at in their collection. Look closely at the photos of the razors online before buying. And if there aren't clear photos allowing you to see if parts are out of alignment, don't buy them, unless the price is right and you think you can repair them. Or, buy a clean, inspected razor BIN from a reputable seller, which in the long run can be cheaper than hit-or-miss quality auction razors.

It's one thing to scrape some grime and corrosion off a New Type long comb brass razor with a toothbrush and have the satisfaction of rehabilitating an ancient razor to working condition. It's quite another to try to repair a pressed metal razor with complex internal and external moving parts that have to line up just right.

The heading of this post might be a bit misleading. Many DE razors are asymmetrical by design, with different gaps, angles, etc. on both sides (this is NOT due to incompetent manufacturing or handling of the razor in shipping, as some reviewers allege). But what I presume he is referring to is asymmetrical through damage.

BTW, I've learned my lesson: Never shave in the shower with a DE razor! That's what cartridges were designed for.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips guys. I have tried to follow the instructions here and managed to get my first ever shave with my Slim, however it felt rather “razory” and pulling on my face even on lower settings.

I am wondering if I bent the safety bars too much on the wrong direction. My reference was that the caps open simultaneously so they must be straight, but then I do not know how the safety bars look like on a new Slim.

Should there be minimum gap between the caps little arms and the safety bars, while they are closed and on setting 1? Or is there meant to be a wider space there?

Top Bottom