What's new

Adjusting a bent or asymmetric safety bar on a slim or Fat Boy adjustable

I actually had luck with taking my Fatboy completely apart and measuring it with calipers and then bending the bent safety bar with a set of needle nose plyers. Which ever way best works for you :thumbup1:

Did you measure the gap compared to the other side, or did you use an absolute reference value?

All right, I fixed the Slim I had that was slant like on one side, and the procedure with the screwdriver worked beautifully...almost.

The problem is that in my over-zealousness, I bent upward the safety guard a bit too much and now I cannot lower it :(

So now the shave on one side is really mild compared to the other one.

I tried holding the screwdriver upside-down and pulling away from razor in hopes to lower it, but that doesn't seem to work. I don't think the leverage is good enough and it feels like I am pulling the safety bar away from the razor rather than to the bottom of it.

Any tips?

Update: Fixed the high safety bar by hitting it delicately with a hammer.

Last edited:
OK. This thread is old, but does anyone have a suggestion for the post preceding this one ... what to do if the bars are level on both sides (no slant affect), but the gap is bigger on one side than the other.

OK. This thread is old, but does anyone have a suggestion for the post preceding this one ... what to do if the bars are level on both sides (no slant affect), but the gap is bigger on one side than the other.

Ummm,. wouldn't it be pretty much the same, only that you'd pry upward on both ends in succession on the side that was presumably bent downward? Have to figure out which side suffered the damage of course.

I would like to know also, I have a Slim that has a smaller gap on the left end of one side. It appears that that corner is bent UP. I'm thinking about trying to use smooth jawed jewelers pliers to bend that end of the bar down, but I'm worried about how to keep the bar straight. I think I'd rather have a slanted overly mild bar than a curved one.

I'm not sure how to tell the difference. I took a couple of photos if anyone can see anything from them. $IMAg0038_2.jpg$IMAg0039_2.jpg
These may be too small (or not) to be helpful, but the of the endcap shows that there is a difference in the gap between the door lift arm and the safety bar (on the right the bar is higher relative to everything) and the pic of the safety bar shows the uneven gap with the left side being higher.

Last edited:
Looking from the ends, observe the end caps (2) as you open and close the doors. They should all break the plane of the head plate (1) at the same time left/right and both ends.

Attachments

• $slim head.jpg
    $slim head.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 484
Looking from the ends, observe the end caps (2) as you open and close the doors. They should all break the plane of the head plate (1) at the same time left/right and both ends.

Both sides, both left and right of each, appear to be perfectly even. Does that imply only the bar is bent?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. I gave it a try on my '58 Fat Boy Slant (bet you didn't knew they made those) yesterday evening. When I gave the razor a test run this AM, it had gone from a skin-munching torture device that I didn't know what to do with to a BBS-producing precision instrument that I won't be parted from.

Both sides, both left and right of each, appear to be perfectly even. Does that imply only the bar is bent?

Possibly, sometimes photos do not convey everything. Do all four of the lungs on the doors contact the underside of the safety bars at the same time when they are raised?

Tried this on my misaligned 1972 Super Adjustable. It works until I change the adjustment setting, then it goes back to the way it was. One blade side is more exposed than the other, and it's also at a slight slant..so I think it's more than just a slight bend with mine.

I'd honestly be willing to send it to someone to fix it. Any suggestions?

Copier Guy, you seem to be the expert here and so I would like to ask your opinion on how to straighten the silo doors on Gillette fat boys. I have a couple of these razors and when I put the blade in the razor, the edge of the blade is not parallel to the safety bar all the way across the blade. Usually the razors edge is a little closer to the safety bar on one side and further away on the other side of the razor and this repeats the same way on both sides of the razor. I dont see that it is the safety bar that is slanted. It seems to be the edges of the silo doors that have become bent over time. I would love to have the blade sit even in the razor so please help if you can. Thanks, have a wonderful day, Ken

Littleshaver101, I dropped my slim once and got it bent all out of shape. I used some jeweler's pliers to try to be it back in to shape but I made it worse. I ended up sending the razor to Razor Emporium as they have a repair service and I got it back working perfectly.

Copier Guy, you seem to be the expert here and so I would like to ask your opinion on how to straighten the silo doors on Gillette fat boys. I have a couple of these razors and when I put the blade in the razor, the edge of the blade is not parallel to the safety bar all the way across the blade. Usually the razors edge is a little closer to the safety bar on one side and further away on the other side of the razor and this repeats the same way on both sides of the razor. I dont see that it is the safety bar that is slanted. It seems to be the edges of the silo doors that have become bent over time. I would love to have the blade sit even in the razor so please help if you can. Thanks, have a wonderful day, Ken
Hey watch the name calling....:001_smile No there are lots of talented folks around here.

If everything else is correct with the handle and baseplate of the head, then you may wish to look at the center bar to determine if it is truly vertical and in the center. Both of those attributes are controlled by the rod on which the center bar is mounted.

Top Bottom