What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
View attachment 1012593 View attachment 1012594

Given recent discussions on the .40S&W, I decided to take one of my old duty weapons out to the range, a SIG P229. I haven't shot this one in years and it shows. I hate the DA first shot, aim at the head and hit in the belly, but the SA is sweet. Gun shoots a tad low with 165 gr. WW white box target/range loads. I wonder how some peppy 180 gr. loads would do? Or maybe I just need more practice, probably the latter.

Nice pistol! I love the looks of the Sig P220's, P226's, P229's, etc..

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Went out and did 100 rounds with the Warrior this morning... Shooting low and left. I have some bad habits to unlearn :(

image.jpg
As I sit here in Brugge at the Brasserie De Carre, enjoying a Leffe, I ponder on the fact John Browning's Hi Powers were made in Belgium. There is magic in the air here; small wonder the P35 is such an excellent piece of work.

nikonNUT

Off to the range with the Mossy 930 Pro today !After a few weeks of waiting I finally got the OR3GUN Pro kit installed (Marine spacer, adjustable recoil kit, enhanced fore end spacer, and competition follower) as well as the SBE Precision stainless competition piston (eliminates the inner gas piston ring and redirects the gases to reducing fouling) so now we get to see how she runs! Also got all the brown goopy stuff Mossberg calls lube out of the works!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Spent several hours at the range today. Shot my SIG P365 briefly, then did my Range Safety Officer training shift for about 5 hrs. Had fun helping new shooters with impromptu, on the spot training.

nikonNUT

Well, the mods worked flawlessly in the 930 (Sorry OkieStubble just me at the range so no pics). 100 rounds of STS 1-1/8oz No.9 shot and 5 rounds of reduced recoil 00 buckshot with nary a hick-up! The 930 is fast too! I'm looking to some action shotgun matches with it soon!

Last edited:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I put 300 rounds through my VP9SK earlier today. One failure to fire occured, but it was the Fiocchi 124 FMJ that was was the culprit. There was a deep indent on the primer and it still didn't fire when I tried it again. I've gone through roughly 7,000 rounds of Fiocchi 9mm, and this was my first ammo related failure.

I also rented an H&K HK45 to try out. I ended up putting 100 rounds of Speer Lawman through it. It's making me seriously consider picking up an HK45C.

20190929_135959.jpg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I put 300 rounds through my VP9SK earlier today. One failure to fire occured, but it was the Fiocchi 124 FMJ that was was the culprit. There was a deep indent on the primer and it still didn't fire when I tried it again. I've gone through roughly 7,000 rounds of Fiocchi 9mm, and this was my first ammo related failure.

I also rented an H&K HK45 to try out. I ended up putting 100 rounds of Speer Lawman through it. It's making me seriously consider picking up an HK45C.

View attachment 1021199

The HK.45C is one of the nicest shooting .45 pistols I have had the pleasure to shoot.

nikonNUT

Nothing special but I did get to go out! Pretty much a shoot one, run a bore snake with a bit of solvent, repeat x 20... I did learn that either XM855 ammo is REALLY hot or my gun is seriously over gassed! The cases are ejecting at about the 1 o'clock position.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Shot the weekly Range Safety Officer's match this morning with my Glock 19, lots of good natured ribbing and comradery among the contestants. Slowly regaining my former skills, I came in 5th. But this is not as competitive as a normal IDPA or IPSC match I used to shoot back in the day. Pretty tame course of fire. No movement, started in a (very) low ready position holding the gun one handed, but as the gun was raised the support hand came into play, so using both hands shooting. Three targets at different close ranges, engage center , right and then left with two shots to the body, mandatory reload, then engage the three targets in the reverse order of left, right and center with one head shot. Nine shots total, and you could only load 9 shots total between two magazines and you had to end with an empty gun and two empty magazines. No extra shots. Of course it was timed. Each contestant shot the course 4 times for a total score.

After the match was over, I shot another 200 rounds through my SIG P365 on the plate racks.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Shot the weekly Range Safety Officer's match this morning with my Glock 19, lots of good natured ribbing and comradery among the contestants. Slowly regaining my former skills, I came in 5th. But this is not as competitive as a normal IDPA or IPSC match I used to shoot back in the day. Pretty tame course of fire. No movement, started in a (very) low ready position holding the gun one handed, but as the gun was raised the support hand came into play, so using both hands shooting. Three targets at different close ranges, engage center , right and then left with two shots to the body, mandatory reload, then engage the three targets in the reverse order of left, right and center with one head shot. Nine shots total, and you could only load 9 shots total between two magazines and you had to end with an empty gun and two empty magazines. No extra shots. Of course it was timed. Each contestant shot the course 4 times for a total score.

After the match was over, I shot another 200 rounds through my SIG P365 on the plate racks.
Congrats! I'm jealous.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I put 100 more rounds through my P365 today. I slowed way down on it after the initial 2000 rounds. I'm just under 2500 now. It would have been shot more today, but I started shooting with only about 45 minutes before the range/store closed and I wanted enough time to check out some rifle optics.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Today was back to one of my Colt 1903s that hasn't been for WalkAbout in ages. I keep thinking I need to replace the recoil spring in it but then it just sweeps through a couple boxes of ammo without a hickup and I figure well maybe I'll replace the recoil spring next time I order supplies.

This one just became a Centenarian this year and is still a joy to use.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Today was back to one of my Colt 1903s that hasn't been for WalkAbout in ages. I keep thinking I need to replace the recoil spring in it but then it just sweeps through a couple boxes of ammo without a hickup and I figure well maybe I'll replace the recoil spring next time I order supplies.

This one just became a Centenarian this year and is still a joy to use.

proxy.php

proxy.php
I love that. A beautiful firearm.

Top Bottom