What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Man-o-man, I'm out of practice! This was from six days ago, which was my first time at a range in about 3 months. I forgot my phone, so no "at the range" pics.

A quick disclaimer (excuse). I went to my local DNR range, where safety is harder to provide than the indoor range I frequent. When I first walked to my station and started to load my mags, I heard the guy next to me say to his range partner, "No, no, no... you're trying to load 9mm into a 40 cal." For the next 20 minutes, I was halfway expecting to hear a major malfunction and possibly take some shrapnel to my left side. After I relaxed from that a bit, I heard the station two down from me being warned of keeping the pistol pointed downrange a couple different times. Needless to say, it wasn't the most therapeutic range session that I've had.

20190616_154741.jpg

I brought my VP9SK and my PM-45. Just to get back into the groove, the SK was up first. To start, I shot at the top left circle of the first target at ten yards with Fiocchi 124gr FMJTC (truncated cone). I then put a mag (only 6 rounds can be loaded per mag at the MI DNR ranges) through the bottom left target. That was followed up by the rest of the rounds in the top center target.

The DW Pointman came next. I would love to say that I blew a big hold in the center of the target, but my first shot was a few inches left of center. I figured that it was just do to my absence from the range lately. So, I squeezed off a second shot, and again, it was to the left. I was chalking it up to user error, but come to find out, the front sight appears to be slightly right of center. It shouldn't be too difficult to correct, but it made my first session with it a bit confusing and frustrating. The top right target was first, followed by bottom middle second, then the bottom right. At that point a target check was called.

20190616_154747.jpg

On the second set of targets, I started with my 1911 on the top center target. I was using Speer Lawman 230gr TMJ on the first sets of targets. For this target I loaded my mag with Sellier & Bellot 230gr FMJ, and started to shoot. Four rounds in with the S&B, I had a FTF. Just ever so slightly. The round was making the mag unable to drop without giving it a good tug. Once the mag came out, the semi-chambered round slid into place, and it fired just fine. I shot twenty one more rounds of the S&B (all in the top center target). Then, I worked on the top right target with the rest of the box of Speer Lawman. The manual recommends only shooting 50 rounds between cleaning and lubing for the initial break-in period, so I figured that 75 rounds was a fine stopping point.

The last four targets on the second set of targets were me just messing around with my VP9SK.

Despite my shooting being less than desired, I'm loving my new DW. Since 1911's with tight tolerances can be finicky during break-in (at least that's what I've read), I'm not too disappointed with the one FTF. A few Wilson Combat mags should be arriving in the next week, so it'll be interesting to see how they perform. The gun also feels so much smoother after putting some live rounds through it. There's still no rattle whatsoever, but the slide and action don't seem so tight and resistant anymore. I am eager to get that front sight adjusted though.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Glad you were able to put your DW through it's initial paces! Is the front sight drift-able in a dove tail? If so, should be an easy fix.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
A quick disclaimer (excuse). I went to my local DNR range, where safety is harder to provide than the indoor range I frequent. When I first walked to my station and started to load my mags, I heard the guy next to me say to his range partner, "No, no, no... you're trying to load 9mm into a 40 cal." For the next 20 minutes, I was halfway expecting to hear a major malfunction and possibly take some shrapnel to my left side. After I relaxed from that a bit, I heard the station two down from me being warned of keeping the pistol pointed downrange a couple different times. Needless to say, it wasn't the most therapeutic range session that I've had.

This makes me glad I have a small range in the backyard. The few times I've been to the local outdoor range a buddy and I were by ourselves, or I was with some local LE. That sounds scary.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Nice range report Erik! Clearly, your DW likes Speer Lawman! It's hard to concentrate on groupings when you think someone might be pointing a pistol at you from several lanes away. :)

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Glad you were able to put your DW through it's initial paces! Is the front sight drift-able in a dove tail? If so, should be an easy fix.

It's indeed a dove tail. I was going to already have it adjusted by now, but decided to go to the range once again just to make sure it was not user error.

This makes me glad I have a small range in the backyard. The few times I've been to the local outdoor range a buddy and I were by ourselves, or I was with some local LE. That sounds scary.

When I go to the DNR range, I usually try to isolate myself from the other shooters, but they only have five 10 yard stations. So, it's hard to distance myself when using a handgun there. Up until last week, I'd only shot rifles at that range.

Nice range report Erik! Clearly, your DW likes Speer Lawman! It's hard to concentrate on groupings when you think someone might be pointing a pistol at you from several lanes away. :)

Thanks, Rob. I won't hunt on public land because I rarely trust anyone around me when it comes to firearms. I was taught at a very young age to respect sharp objects and firearms, and have seen my fair share of people being dumb and irresponsible over the years. One time is all it takes.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
When I go to the DNR range, I usually try to isolate myself from the other shooters, but they only have five 10 yard stations. So, it's hard to distance myself when using a handgun there. Up until last week, I'd only shot rifles at that range.

That's about what we have at the range just outside of town, but they have about 10 rifle stations out to 200 yards or better. Maybe about 500 yards. I've not done rifle there. Handgun stations can go back to about 40 yards or so but the firing tables are at 25 yards. I can get a bit over 300 yards in my pasture, and over 50 yards in the back yard. The police range goes out to 50 yards, and I tried my .41 Mag. there at 200 yards and had to go across the fence to the pasture there. I did not do well at 200 with a handgun on metallic silhouette targets.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
It's indeed a dove tail. I was going to already have it adjusted by now, but decided to go to the range once again just to make sure it was not...

If you have dial or digital calipers, you can lay a straight edge against the flat side of the slide and measure from the straight edge to the side of the front sight post. If it is not the same distances on both sides, then the sight is not centered on the slide.

OkieStubble

If you have dial or digital calipers, you can lay a straight edge against the flat side of the slide and measure from the straight edge to the side of the front sight post. If it is not the same distances on both sides, then the sight is not centered on the slide.

Excellent idea. That's experience talkin' right there and the best part is. it's free! :) I learn more stuff here about firearms, then anywhere else I can think of.

OkieStubble

Lernt it on yew tube 'bout installing front sights.

I always just push the sight with the vice and then just close one eye looking from the business end. Never thought about using a straight edge. So simple it's genius. I must admit though, The 365 is the only pistol I own with a front sight dovetail. :)

I need to remedy that.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Trying to get back in the grove. I went back to the DNR range yesterday. Started off with a little over sixty rounds through the VP9SK. I did okay with it. My targets were a set of six circles like the one I shot at last week. They're ever so slightly larger than a CD. I did a little two handed shooting, then one handed with each hand, the back to two. Once I had messed around with the SK, I switched to the 1911.

I still hadn't adjusted the front sight, but it only took a few rounds to realize that the sight was off-center. After putting a couple of mags through it, I started to realize my problem with being "out of practice." I was just thinking too much. Once I stopped trying to put all of my shots into the same hole, my groupings became tighter and tighter. The incredibly light trigger, competition sights, and heft (weight and recoil) of a .45 were just messing with me. I even shot a couple of mags one-handed and did fine. Altogether, I ran fifty Speer Lawman and twenty-five Sellier & Bellot through it. Zero malfunctions.

Since the DNR range has a three seconds between shots and a six rounds per mag rule, I didn't bring as much ammo as I should have. I was left with fifty rounds of 9mm when the next target check was called, so I only put up a single target. The next fifty were better than the first.

20190624_200255.jpg

OkieStubble

That HK and DW look pretty good sittin' next to each other. How do you like the fiber optic front sight on your DW?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
That HK and DW look pretty good sittin' next to each other. How do you like the fiber optic front sight on your DW?

Thanks. Truthfully, I'm not too crazy about it. My eyes don't pick up the contrast with the rear sight in sunlight as much as I thought they would. I might just not have a good grasp on how to utilize it to it's full potential.

OkieStubble

Thanks. Truthfully, I'm not too crazy about it. My eyes don't pick up the contrast with the rear sight in sunlight as much as I thought they would. I might just not have a good grasp on how to utilize it to it's full potential.

I don't really care them either. I't not the color or contrast for me, it's just the diameter of the fiber optic itself seems too small. I don't even think it's 2mm around. I like at least a 3mm for a front post

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I don't really care them either. I't not the color or contrast for me, it's just the diameter of the fiber optic itself seems too small. I don't even think it's 2mm around. I like at least a 3mm for a front post
That is an easy cure. Fortunately most of them can be enlarged by a quick push with the hot windbreak of an old Zippo.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
That is an easy cure. Fortunately most of them can be enlarged by a quick push with the hot windbreak of an old Zippo.

I was thinking along those lines as well, but it wouldn't alter the overall width of the sight blade, if that is an issue. I've been contemplating some "10-8" brand sights and they offer different widths and height front sight blades.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I was thinking along those lines as well, but it wouldn't alter the overall width of the sight blade, if that is an issue. I've been contemplating some "10-8" brand sights and they offer different widths and height front sight blades.
But you use the dot not the sight blade when aiming.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
But you use the dot not the sight blade when aiming.

Granted, but in shaded conditions (or dark, using a flashlight) without adequate side lighting, does the FO dot remain prominent, or is the front sight picture reduced to a solid blade. I don't have any FO sights yet, but where I shoot most, the firing line is covered and faces to the east. So most non-FO dots are indistinct at best and the front sight picture is reduced to essentially a solid blade, particularly if early morning sun is to my front. That has been my deliberation on whether to try a FO front sight.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Granted, but in shaded conditions (or dark, using a flashlight) without adequate side lighting, does the FO dot remain prominent, or is the front sight picture reduced to a solid blade. I don't have any FO sights yet, but where I shoot most, the firing line is covered and faces to the east. So most non-FO dots are indistinct at best and the front sight picture is reduced to essentially a solid blade, particularly if early morning sun is to my front. That has been my deliberation on whether to try a FO front sight.
I only have one gun with a fiber sight and honestly, I have been underwhelmed by it.

Top Bottom