What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I've only ever shot a shotgun with a bead. Define modern? :)

Perhaps modern is not exactly accurate, just that there was a time that brass/gold beads were much more popular, particularly with older revolvers. They seem be be less so with current semi-autos. My Glock 19 has the XS 24/7 Big Dot front with the Express rear sight, and while quick to place on target for defensive shooting, they are some what slow and finicky for precise alignment for precision shooting. 10-8 Precision offers a brass bead front sight that I'm considering along with their U-notch rear.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
That’s interesting. I just imagined a brass bead sitting on top of the slide instead of being set into the front post like that. What are the advantages of the bead in the sight over say, a white dot or colored dot in the post?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
That’s interesting. I just imagined a brass bead sitting on top of the slide instead of being set into the front post like that. What are the advantages of the bead in the sight over say, a white dot or colored dot in the post?
I personally don't have any experience with them, but I suspect they would be less dependent on ambient light, to a certain extent. Painted on dots are rather useless, IMHO. Obviously the brass bead would have no advantage in darkness.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
One hundred more rounds through the DW Pointman 45 today. My groupings are becoming more consistent with it. I still haven't adjusted the sights, but I need to.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm in training to become a Range Safety Officer at the range I shoot at. The range is only open to the public Friday, Saturday and Sunday. During the week, the RSOs have their own private little fun matches. Today was such a day and I was able to participate for the first time. We shot a combo of plates and and stationary paper targets at about 20 yds with semi auto rifle. These were short timed runs with times mostly running sub 5 sec. to 20 something seconds if the shooter had misses or malfunctions. There were mostly AR variants but other popular semi-autos as well. A few pistol caliber carbines. I shot an M1 Carbine as did a couple of others. I had not shot this gun in several years. I was relieved that the Burris Fast Fire II sight was still dead on and working! The official scores were not posted yet, and as a trainee I wasn't eligible to win anything, but it was a fun shoot. I don't think I threatened the top shooters too much, but at least I didn't make a fool of myself!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I'm in training to become a Range Safety Officer at the range I shoot at. The range is only open to the public Friday, Saturday and Sunday. During the week, the RSOs have their own private little fun matches. Today was such a day and I was able to participate for the first time. We shot a combo of plates and and stationary paper targets at about 20 yds with semi auto rifle. These were short timed runs with times mostly running sub 5 sec. to 20 something seconds if the shooter had misses or malfunctions. There were mostly AR variants but other popular semi-autos as well. A few pistol caliber carbines. I shot an M1 Carbine as did a couple of others. I had not shot this gun in several years. I was relieved that the Burris Fast Fire II sight was still dead on and working! The official scores were not posted yet, and as a trainee I wasn't eligible to win anything, but it was a fun shoot. I don't think I threatened the top shooters too much, but at least I didn't make a fool of myself!

What a great benefit!!

OkieStubble

You got to have some fun and look set up to have even more fun in the future. That will get you back in the groove quick.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
3349A0DF-D9A2-4846-B40C-90451209AEEE.jpeg
547F45A3-4E70-40B7-915A-E68FFEDC2219.jpeg

Given recent discussions on the .40S&W, I decided to take one of my old duty weapons out to the range, a SIG P229. I haven't shot this one in years and it shows. I hate the DA first shot, aim at the head and hit in the belly, but the SA is sweet. Gun shoots a tad low with 165 gr. WW white box target/range loads. I wonder how some peppy 180 gr. loads would do? Or maybe I just need more practice, probably the latter.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

View attachment 1012593 View attachment 1012594

Given recent discussions on the .40S&W, I decided to take one of my old duty weapons out to the range, a SIG P229. I haven't shot this one in years and it shows. I hate the DA first shot, aim at the head and hit in the belly, but the SA is sweet. Gun shoots a tad low with 165 gr. WW white box target/range loads. I wonder how some peppy 180 gr. loads would do? Or maybe I just need more practice, probably the latter.

Say what you want, but that's still an ok looking target for the amount of rounds you fired and not having shot .40 for awhile. I bet those 5 rounds outside are all from first DA pulls? :)

And that old school looking Sig 229 is just cool. No rail, but looks smaller thinner and more compact then the modern 229. If I was going to own an older model Sig, it would be the one you just showed. I'm jealous, and that's from a guy who doesn't prefer Sigs.

You need to do whatever you can do, to make that first double action pull better, and appreciate and hang onto that thing. I am a bought and paid for striker guy, so I don't understand what people like about a double action hammer. But I wish I did... I do plan on owning a couple of pistols with a hammer, but it will be a Browning High Power and a 1911.

I just do not get along or understand why someone would want, a long, heavy, double action first pull in a gunfight, just to then transition to a single action. Absolutely perplexes me. If I am going to deploy a hammer fired pistol, I'd just as soon just flip the safety off during the draw and rock it single action from the get go. But that's just me. :)

P.S. Just wanted to recognize that E12 in your pic. :)

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I just do not get along or understand why someone would want, a long, heavy, double action first pull in a gunfight, just to then transition to a single action. Absolutely perplexes me. If I am going to deploy a hammer fired pistol, I'd just as soon just flip the safety off during the draw and rock it single action from the get go. But that's just me. :)

I hear ya. I HATE the DA/SA triggers...I always pull the first DA shot to the right, and this is from someone who was initially trained on a DA revolver. The only DA/SA I have is a little Walther. Great gun but I hate the trigger. I'm like you...High Power, 1911, or a DA only.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have no intention of ever getting rid of my P229. But it will probably never be carried for self defense, too bulky for concealed carry and the DA thing. The SA is very smooth and feels pretty light, I haven't gauged it yet. Catching the reset was a little tricky and I had a couple of unintentional double taps. I will be leaving the trigger stock. I've thought about replacing the grips but probably won't do that anytime soon. The Tritium sights are dead, but since it is now a "range gun", it really doesn't matter.

That P229
And that old school looking Sig 229 is just cool. No rail, but looks smaller thinner and more compact then the modern 229. If I was going to own an older model Sig, it would be the one you just showed. I'm jealous, and that's from a guy who doesn't prefer Sigs.

I agree, great looking gun and not bad shooting either, especially to my standards.
DA/SA does not bother me for some reason. I started shooting with revolvers and still shoot them regularly. Of course I shoot best with SA, Browning HP or 1911, but that’s an unfair comparison.

Okie, if you haven’t bought a Browning HP by now, whatcha waitin for?? It’s probably my favorite gun to shoot. I’ve got medium size hands and that gun just fits and shoots like a dream. It’s almost always in my range bag.

OkieStubble

That P229

I agree, great looking gun and not bad shooting either, especially to my standards.
DA/SA does not bother me for some reason. I started shooting with revolvers and still shoot them regularly. Of course I shoot best with SA, Browning HP or 1911, but that’s an unfair comparison.

Okie, if you haven’t bought a Browning HP by now, whatcha waitin for?? It’s probably my favorite gun to shoot. I’ve got medium size hands and that gun just fits and shoots like a dream. It’s almost always in my range bag.

@Acmemfg to give me his? :)

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Two hundred rounds went through my Dan Wesson Pointman 45 and 122 went through my P365 this past Sunday. I needed the range time. Not only for lack of regularity, but for the relaxation and satisfaction that I get afterwards. This was the first range trip I've had in a month. It was also the first time that I've shot my P365 since January, and the first time I've been back to my indoor pistol range since February.

I started with my P365. The thing's been on my hip almost every day since April or May, but, as stated above, it hasn't been shot since February. So, I let her rip with the Federal 124gr HSTs that I've been carrying to start with. I was fairly surprised that I was shooting as well as I was with it. After I dumped my two carry mags on a silhouette target, I switched to two circular targets and ran a box of Blazer Brass 124gr FMJ through it. No issues of any kind.

I put up two fresh targets and loaded up the 1911 with some Sellier & Bellot 230gr FMJ. The first six rounds were all through the same hole at 7 yards. My next two rounds were about an inch high, and an inch low, respectively. The range officer hollered out to me, "You got tired of putting them through the same hole, didn't you!" I started to pick up the pace, so for the rest of the box, my groupings weren't as tight.

I jumped back onto my P365 for 50 more rounds on a silhouette target.

I finished my time with the 1911 and 100 rounds of Speer Lawman 230gr FMJ. Things started to really concern me for the start of these last 100. The mag kept on dropping after the first few shots when I started to pick up the pace. I started to think that there was a major flaw in my Dan Wesson. It turns out that I was clenching up on my support hand grip too much and slightly tapping the extended mag release when I was shooting fast.

I'll probably be able to head back to the range tomorrow.

Top Bottom