What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
A couple of beauties there @jar_ !
I gotta admit that the Colt 1903 is for me about as close to the perfect semi-automatic handgun of all I've ever used. I've been lucky enough over the decades to get four of them so far and every one of them has been extremely controllable, a natural pointer, totally reliable and with sights that though small can actually be used.

I have tried the 1908 which is the 380 version but honestly it just doesn't feel right. They keep tempting me though and just a few weeks ago I was about ready to buy one but the dealer would not accept my 03FFL and frankly, I just don't buy from folk the won't honor my C&R license. Probably a good thing since as I said I've never found a 1908 I really enjoyed.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I gotta admit that the Colt 1903 is for me about as close to the perfect semi-automatic handgun of all I've ever used. I've been lucky enough over the decades to get four of them so far and every one of them has been extremely controllable, a natural pointer, totally reliable and with sights that though small can actually be used.

I have tried the 1908 which is the 380 version but honestly it just doesn't feel right. They keep tempting me though and just a few weeks ago I was about ready to buy one but the dealer would not accept my 03FFL and frankly, I just don't buy from folk the won't honor my C&R license. Probably a good thing since as I said I've never found a 1908 I really enjoyed.
He may have saved you some cash and headaches then!

Well, after a very lengthy process here in Canada, I finally got to the range for my first outing.

Sig Extreme 1911 in .45 (I'm still waiting on my M&P9 2.0 long slide)
Went through 150 rounds then shot 2 clips at 10 meters (not sure the range in measured in yards or not)

proxy.php

Very happy with the Sig.
I don't think the night sights are so great for the range though. I'm going to look into a fiber optic front sight.
With so little practice at this point I'm sure this will be the proverbial tack driver soon!

FarmerTan

Well, after a very lengthy process here in Canada, I finally got to the range for my first outing.

Went through 150 rounds then shot 2 clips at 10 meters (not sure the range in measured in yards or not)

proxy.php

Very happy with the Sig.
I don't think the night sights are so great for the range though. I'm going to look into a fiber optic front sight.
With so little practice at this point I'm sure this will be the proverbial tack driver soon!
Nice!

FarmerTan

You guys keep putting up pics like those and I may have to rethink my revolver bias!

Ah... I'm not foolin' anyone. I'm too lazy and cheap to change formats now.

Thank guys. I was a little surprised myself.
After all the hoop jumping I can now go/access the club 24hrs a day.
When I had the chance to go yesterday there was nobody there and it was very relaxing so I had a little time to get to know the gun better.

I fear now this is going to be a little more expensive than razors and stones :), however, I can see myself doing this as a hobby for the next 30 years - should I live so long.

FarmerTan

Thank guys. I was a little surprised myself.
After all the hoop jumping I can now go/access the club 24hrs a day.
When I had the chance to go yesterday there was nobody there and it was very relaxing so I had a little time to get to know the gun better.

I fear now this is going to be a little more expensive than razors and stones :), however, I can see myself doing this as a hobby for the next 30 years - should I live so long.
At my age I don't buy green bananas! But I do buy ammo, go figure.

Just got back from the range. Needed to blow off some steam after work.. Took my Beretta 96 in .40 S&W.

First group. Two clips rapid fire @ 21'

IMG-2338.jpg

Two clips rapid fire @ 30'

IMG-2341.jpg

Finally here's another two clips this time at only 15'. The center grouping is one clip with with my dominant hand. The grouping at the top is one clip with my non-dominant hand. Working to get that non-dominant grouping tighter.

IMG-2336.jpg

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member

proxy.php

Very happy with the Sig.

Nice! It's awesome that you have a 24 hour club to go to. In the long run, this will definitely be more expensive than straights and stones, but I find it to be far more therapeutic and entertaining. Anxiety and stress seem to just melt away after I get back from a trip of the range.

At my age I don't buy green bananas!

Lol!

Just got back from the range. Needed to blow off some steam after work.. Took my Beretta 96 in .40 S&W.

View attachment 1028637

View attachment 1028638

Finally here's another two clips this time at only 15'. The center grouping is one clip with with my dominant hand. The grouping at the top is one clip with my non-dominant hand. Working to get that non-dominant grouping tighter.

View attachment 1028639

Nice shooting.

FarmerTan

View attachment 1028637

View attachment 1028638

View attachment 1028639
Wow. Really good work. As @Claudel Xerxes said "nice shooting".... actually, very nice. I used to be good with my off hand. NEVER that good. Keep it up my friend.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Well, today was the day! Had a beautiful sunny fall day I stumbled on to a small range that offers covered shooting and 200 yards for a whopping $40.00/ year and is WAY off the radar so a win in my book. Bore sighted the savage at 50 yards. Lobbed three shots (Hornady 140gr ELD-M) at the target and moved to 200 yards. No changes or adjustments just shot. Managed a 4 shot group that measured 1.682" center to center so .803 MOA group. This was with a 6-7 mph left to right wind so I am pretty pleased with the Savage and I know there is more accuracy in her! Soft shooting and has the potential to be a laser beam! Target is a 5.5" shoot-n-see...

P.S. I was messing with the gas block the whole time. Not sure if that effects accuracy but... Tomorrow is FGMM with the 130gr Berger Hybrids! I'll share pics of the range then!

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Accuracy, thy name is Savage! What is" FGMM"? Sounds like a super deal for the range membership! What caliber, 6.5 Creedmore?

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Accuracy, thy name is Savage! What is" FGMM"? Sounds like a super deal for the range membership! What caliber, 6.5 Creedmore?
Sorry, FGMM is Federal Gold Medal Match and it is 6.5 Creedmoor. The rifle and the round definitely inspire confidence to reach out there!

Top Bottom