What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
There's cheaper self defense and bear ammo out there. I like Gold Dot. Probably go with Buffalo Bore for Bear. Heard hard cast is good. Haven't had my G20 very long, so still playing around with what she likes.

Speer Gold Dot 10mm AUTO Ammo 200 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point

Yup, I'd go with the heaviest hard cast, high velocity bullet for that...if l your handgun will function with it. The Buffalo Bore 10mm load is at the lower .41 mag. loading effectiveness for that.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
There's cheaper self defense and bear ammo out there. I like Gold Dot. Probably go with Buffalo Bore for Bear. Heard hard cast is good. Haven't had my G20 very long, so still playing around with what she likes.

Speer Gold Dot 10mm AUTO Ammo 200 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point

I looked into reloading 10mm for a friend but read conflicting opinions on how reliable and safe the resulting ammo was. Reminded me of the same info going around reloading Glock shot .40SW brass.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yes it does. An extremely reliable semi-auto. :)

You may want to try different recoil springs in it with that hot a load...it's not a Desert Eagle. But...BB site says their ammo is safe in a Glock 20. I'd hate to see your Glock blow up with that dynamite in it. Although the 220gr. at 1,200 fps. is not as hot as the .41 mag. 265gr. at 1,300 fps.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Glocks barrels in .40 S&W are notorious for not fully supporting the base of the cases and brass shot in Glocks does not fully resize in standard reloading dies. To get the "Glock bulge" out of .40 S&W brass, Redding makes a "GRX" die to correct the bulge after standard resizing. This die is a "push through" die, sort of like a bullet swaging die. I wonder if the same occurs with 10 mm? An aftermarket barrel would probably eliminate that issue, in addition to allowing lead projos to be used.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Glocks barrels in .40 S&W are notorious for not fully supporting the base of the cases and brass shot in Glocks does not fully resize in standard reloading dies. To get the "Glock bulge" out of .40 S&W brass, Redding makes a "GRX" die to correct the bulge after standard resizing. This die is a "push through" die, sort of like a bullet swaging die. I wonder if the same occurs with 10 mm? An aftermarket barrel would probably eliminate that issue, in addition to allowing lead projos to be used.

Exactly! Will have one on the way soon! :)

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member

Gen 4 Barrels have better support than Gen 3, which had better support than Gen2. After much research and angst I settled on pushing my brass all the way through my .40 sizing die. TBO I don’t think it’s needed on Gen3/4 barrels if the rounds are going to shot in said Gen3/4 barrels but I’m not taking that chance.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I rarely shoot my Glock 27 anymore. I should get an aftermarket barrel for it and shoot it more often.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Have you seen what the young kids are doing to Glocks nowadays?
206A99E4-2B0F-4FEA-A8BF-51CE4E966D60.jpeg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Probably go with Buffalo Bore for Bear. Heard hard cast is good.

Are there even any black bear in your area? From what I've seen the highest population is just across the river from me in S.E Okieland. I've never seen one here, but there was one that supposedly wandered across the Red River and was spotted in town in a small residential area many years ago. We never found it.

Another cop buddy of mine got a picture of a baby one on the game camera at his deer lease the next county over several years ago. That's the only picture documentation I've seen of one around here.

proxy.php

Although it wouldn't be that much of a trip to go to the Idabel or Broken Bow area if they hold hunts around there. I "think" I heard that a .40 caliber (or better) bullet of 200 gr. (or better) weight at about 1,200 fps. (or better) was adequate for little black bear. That Glock 20 should do just fine, and I've heard a lot of people carry them just for black bear. I looked at the unsupported chamber in the Glock and supposedly the Lone Wolf barrel has better support. But a .41 magnum it ain't. For those that have heard that a 10mm has .41 Mag. power in a semi-auto:

OkieStubble

Are there even any black bear in your area? From what I've seen the highest population is just across the river from me in S.E Okieland. I've never seen one here, but there was one that supposedly wandered across the Red River and was spotted in town in a small residential area many years ago. We never found it.

Another cop buddy of mine got a picture of a baby one on the game camera at his deer lease the next county over several years ago. That's the only picture documentation I've seen of one around here.

Although it wouldn't be that much of a trip to go to the Idabel or Broken Bow area if they hold hunts around there. I "think" I heard that a .40 caliber (or better) bullet of 200 gr. (or better) weight at about 1,200 fps. (or better) was adequate for little black bear. That Glock 20 should do just fine, and I've heard a lot of people carry them just for black bear. I looked at the unsupported chamber in the Glock and supposedly the Lone Wolf barrel has better support. But a .41 magnum it ain't. For those that have heard that a 10mm has .41 Mag. power in a semi-auto:

No black bear in my area. But sooner or later, I will be packing up the RV and pulling along the Jeep and will be hitting the beautiful high point tourist destinations of our country, to do some Overlanding and camping out of the Jeep. The Glock 20 with 4-6 magazines loaded with 200 gr. Gold Dot and/or 220 gr. Buffalo Bore will be comforting insurance against man or beast.

I was trying to decide between Lone Wolf or Bar-Sto for an aftermarket but I have been reading alot of good things about the barrels from KKM Precision. Reviews say match grade accuracy and shoots Hard Cast well. Also fully supported barrel for Glocks.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
No black bear in my area. But sooner or later, I will be packing up the RV and pulling along the Jeep and will be hitting the beautiful high point tourist destinations of our country, to do some Overlanding and camping out of the Jeep. The Glock 20 with 4-6 magazines loaded with 200 gr. Gold Dot and/or 220 gr. Buffalo Bore will be comforting insurance against man or beast.

I was trying to decide between Lone Wolf or Bar-Sto for an aftermarket but I have been reading alot of good things about the barrels from KKM Precision. Reviews say match grade accuracy and shoots Hard Cast well. Also fully supported barrel for Glocks.

Bar-Sto is a classic. I've also heard good things about KKM. But...you are the Glock expert. Buffalo Bore is about the best for hot, heavy for caliber factory rounds that you can get. Their rounds are supposed to be safe pressure, and I believe that, but their standard pressure, gas checked, soft lead FBI load in my 14oz. Cobra seemed to have a lot more bite, on both ends, than the current whimpy Winchester or Remington +P. My little Colt .38 Special was designed to handle a limited amount of the older, more powerful, +P from the '60s and '70s. I'm not pushing that classic Colt though. But no leading with the gas checked Buffalo Bore rounds.

Your Glock 20 will probably do fine for what you want...unless you go to Grizzly country. Then I'd be carrying a Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun. If I was going to buy a large caliber revolver now I'd go with a .44 Mag. Better ammo availability and more choice in bullet styles and weight. But I've had the .41 for years and know how it shoots.

The factory HSM Bear Load I got for the wild hogs here in .41 are 220gr. at about 1,200 fps., which is about a 10mm load. It's not that hot for a .41, but the feral hogs are not that much of a threat. I load the little Colt Cobra with three rounds of shot cartridges for snakes when I go fishing at the pond, and three rounds of Keith SWC for the vicious, killer chipmunks we have here.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Took my Glock 19 to the range this morning early. Ran 250 rounds of reloads through it on the plate rack. Geeze I gotta lot of remedial shooting to do! I gotta lot of reloading to do to. I was up at O'dark 30 reloading for this mornings shoot.

OkieStubble

Took my Glock 19 to the range this morning early. Ran 250 rounds of reloads through it on the plate rack. Geeze I gotta lot of remedial shooting to do! I gotta lot of reloading to do to. I was up at O'dark 30 reloading for this mornings shoot.

I thought people milked cows @ o'dark 30? :)

Top Bottom