What's new

3017 a puck of Williams

First Williams shave in the books.... and it was glorious! The slickness paired so well with my Feather blade. Probably my best shave all year!

Happy 200th Birthday James Baker Williams!

proxy.php

First shave of the 3017 campaign. Not the greatest lather ever. I had to compensate by being extra careful. I got a good shave, though. I know the lather will improve after another use or two.

I started soaking the puck on Tuesday night. The box told me I should try Aqua Velva, so yesterday I got a bottle. Paired it with the Williams today. They work well together. At -8 or -9F it's a little chilly for AV, but I'll survive.

Last edited:
First shave on What's the Dilly Willy (with AV Musk), badger brush, day two on Derby Extra blade in my shiny gold Gillette OLD. Finished with AV Musk AS because of course. Pretty happy with the shave, I can do better but not by much. Pretty smooth, irritation and weeper free, and efficiently done in two passes with a couple quick touch ups.

I jumped the gun by about 4 hrs and got my second test lather in last night. It's still a bit thirsty, but the Brutal Blue-Green Willy is gonna work out just fine.
This is a ten second load with a boar brush, after the first pass was completed and the lather "matured".
Happy Birthday, J.B.W.!
Brutal Willy.jpg

@TheVez2
that is one nifty PIF you have for February...

as for the 3017 Williams Challenge.. last year I created a Wilkinson Sword AS Willie.. it was moderately successful and mostly disappointing..it might have been the mixture or it might have been the synthetic brush or it might have been just basic operator failure and I don't want that frustration again.
So , this year, I'm going with an unaltered puck of Modern Williams and with the new-ish WD Badger I bought last year just for this event.
However, since I've been kind of out of it lately, I only just noticed that this started...so I'll start soaking the puck tonight and see how it does in the morning...

My first Williams 3017 shave today. Straight up Plain Willie using a puck that I started last week. Its been my experience that Williams' performance improves if the puck is used every day. The outside of the puck retains moisture making it easier to load.

In any event a fantastic 3 pass BBS shave using a Razorock Old Type razor loaded with a Personna Red (4). I used an Omega 49 to lather with. Finished off with an icy blast of Floid Vigoroso aftershave.

I will be going all vintage for this Williams 3017. I will use this set up for the entire 3017. It's weird to say I am "only" using one set up for shaving as , back in the day, most men only used one setup.

proxy.php

Vintage Williams
Fuller w/ Omega boar
Filarmonica Doble Temple 13
Virgin Island Bay Rum

I have that same Fuller brush! It was a gift from my FIL and still has the original knot - and based on the smell, I don't think it was every used.

Unfortunately, I'm losing 2+ hairs with each shave. It won't be long before I re-knot it with something. Either way, I love the handle.

I will be going all vintage for this Williams 3017. I will use this set up for the entire 3017. It's weird to say I am "only" using one set up for shaving as , back in the day, most men only used one setup.

proxy.php

Vintage Williams
Fuller w/ Omega boar
Filarmonica Doble Temple 13
Virgin Island Bay Rum

I have that same Fuller brush! It was a gift from my FIL and still has the original knot - and based on the smell, I don't think it was every used.

Unfortunately, I'm losing 2+ hairs with each shave. It won't be long before I re-knot it with something. Either way, I love the handle.
Nice!!! I love the handles. I've restored two, the other with a TGN Finest. If you've never restored a brush, it's a fun little project.

I'm on the 2018 Sabbatical, otherwise I would have bought a puck of Williams and tried this challenge. Maybe, I'll give it a go for 2019.

Question for the group, I know the new formula for Williams is notorious for being hard to keep a lather. I noticed some of you added glycerin after grating, does this resolve/assist with this issue? Inquiring minds would like to know.

You’re in. We just kicked it off today. Are you gonna be using it plain? Also TheVez2 has a killer Williams PIF going, so don’t miss out on that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, looks like I'm going to fail/bail on this....just received some unexpected goodies from Captain's Choice and I cannot resist the temptation. Besides, I've been working this puck since November/December...I'm already getting burned-out.

You’re in. We just kicked it off today. Are you gonna be using it plain? Also TheVez2 has a killer Williams PIF going, so don’t miss out on that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for letting me in.

This is a vintage puck so I'm sticking with it undefiled!

Top Bottom