What's new

You can keep your groundhog day ... I'll just eat crepes

I understand that in the US this is Groundhog day and many many folks were excited about it.

Well in France it's La Chandeleur .. aka lets stuff ourselves eating crepes day. With 70 millions folks in the country and maybe a third of them eating crepes today, lets face it you do not eat a crepe but a few (can you eat 1 Pancake only) 100 millions of those buggers have been or will be eaten already or will be during the week end.

Well I did my country proud and made a few.

For those interested, this pan if I am not mistaken is either 20 or 21 year old, was purchased at the BHV in Paris . Well purchased kind of, it was a nice sale, buy, send your receipt you'll get a full refund. I remember riding from my work outside of Paris in the RER to go buy it and then riding back out of Paris with it. Yeah Yeah Yeah, I was already cheap chum at the time.

Now the real question. Would you be a roller or a folder ?

IMG_1675.jpg

I am a roller, fold the bottom of it to avoid than anything fold down and eat it up. My son is a roller too and got a few weird look at iHop for not using his knife and fork to eat his crepes.

Oh yeah I forgot we are among gentleman, while must recipe for grown up will call for Grand Marnier or Cointreau, wherever you are in the France, just spice it up with the local liquor ... Benedictine for this Man from Fécamp it is of course.

IMG_1677.jpg

Of I almost forgot the recipe easy peasy

1/2 cup flour
1 cup whole milk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla exract
1 tsp aged rum

The last two being optional but who are we kidding here.

Mix, let rest at lest 30 min and get flipping those crepes.

Ready to serve sugar, jam, nutela will get you to the right place or get the high road and booze it up

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Roller for a hearty filling like champignons Bourguignon, folder for lemon and sugar.

Folder as it is quicker and less messy.
We will do some today so I might take some pics.

Strawberry Vanilla jam, Seville Orange marmalade and Maple Syrup

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Love sweet crepes. Love savory crepes. Wish I could make them. Never had much luck getting them as thin as the pros do.

Oh yeah, folded!

I totally roll mine.

I don't have a larger non stick pan right now. But these came out pretty well today. I posted my breakfast earlier and then saw yours on crepes as well!

I love making them.

For those who have trouble making them, heat control is the most important part. A helpful trick is to preheat the pan for longer than you think at a slightly lower temp. Then bring it up. I didn't even kill my first one today!

I haven't tried them like you made them, with liqueur in them. That sounds pretty good. I may have to give that a shot.

The thinness? You just gotta experiment a couple times. My 8" pan used 1/4 cup (a dry measure, for scooping batter and I just pour it, didn't bother with dripping or scraping any extra out. That amount worked pretty well to fill to the edges using a couple gentle swirls.

If you've got your pan temp right and the batter the right consistency, there's no real trick to getting them that thin. It's just the volume of batter for the pan size. Just takes a few tries to figure out the pan.

Attachments

• 20240226_075059.jpg
    20240226_075059.jpg
    857.1 KB · Views: 4
I'll have to remember this. I'm in favor of an excuse for making crepes.
I got another one for you, make the crepe, splash a bit of your favorite liquor once you are done cooking them with some sugar , wait for it to evaporate and enjoy

I totally roll mine.

I don't have a larger non stick pan right now. But these came out pretty well today. I posted my breakfast earlier and then saw yours on crepes as well!

I love making them.

For those who have trouble making them, heat control is the most important part. A helpful trick is to preheat the pan for longer than you think at a slightly lower temp. Then bring it up. I didn't even kill my first one today!

I haven't tried them like you made them, with liqueur in them. That sounds pretty good. I may have to give that a shot.

The thinness? You just gotta experiment a couple times. My 8" pan used 1/4 cup (a dry measure, for scooping batter and I just pour it, didn't bother with dripping or scraping any extra out. That amount worked pretty well to fill to the edges using a couple gentle swirls.

If you've got your pan temp right and the batter the right consistency, there's no real trick to getting them that thin. It's just the volume of batter for the pan size. Just takes a few tries to figure out the pan.
I see you are in the I need a few more crepe category too, nice stack

I grew up having crepes made with thinky sliced apples (usually a Macintosh or other tart apple) and served with sprinkles sugar on them. I usually ate them flat out on a plate with a fork but I wouldn't be adverse to folding or rolling. They were a great treat for us. I'll make them on occasion just to commune with my memories.

not really a few hours would be fine, I generrally scale up my batter depending on how many crepes I want to make. 4 crepe to an egg as this is the limiting factor

Top Bottom