What's new

22lr Aguila Interceptor + PPK/S KABOOM

Went to the range to check/adjust two red dots. While being there, I decided to fire some 22lr. Modern Walther PPK/S, was cleaned a day before. There is a post before here asking for accurate ammo, and I have always thought Eley. Anywhat I fired 10 CCI Mini (flawless), 2 Federal Red box OK (most accurate), 2 Federal Premium (OK). Then I loaded 2 Aguila Interceptor rounds: first hit the paper , did not eject case so I did manually. Second: Kaboom. Very loud, hand burnt some, and lots of smoke coming out of gun....lots. I got some debris to the face (good thing I was wearing a sturdy mask and protective goggles). Ejector system flew out (never found), case stuck in barrel , has two holes (one where firing pin hit it and one where the ejector holds it...... Mag has a small area that looks bent. Safety/decocker does NOT work. My fave plinker is gone...... Not sure it's worth sending to get fixed, just get a new one (there is one in the whole 7M city area), or give up and use a different 22 for plinking. I am glad I was not injured but at the same time utterly annoyed by this unfortunate event that I guess is due to mediocre QC (bet overloaded round). The barrel is unobstructed, can't verify any structural damages.

Has anyone ever experienced this.......
unnamed-4.jpg

Attachments

• unnamed-3.jpg
    unnamed-3.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 58
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 57
  • unnamed-2.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 61
I’d be curious to know what caused it. First guess is the gun, but it’s a reputable firearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at the specs on that ammo 1470fps for 40 gr bullet, it has to be very high pressure for a 22 to start with, then add an overload, possibly double load and trouble here you come. Add a blowback semi auto and that probably compounds the problem. a good bolt action rifle might have held it without any problems, but who knows. I'm not familiar with that model in .22, have one in .380, and a smaller TPH, .22 and never had a problem. Considering the price of one of those I think I would explore repairs, they are really rather stout and I doubt that the frame or slide is harmed.

First, glad you're safe.

Second, contact both Eley and wherever you bought the ammo with the lot number for that batch.
This. They will need to check the rest of the box and pull the lot if double loaded.

I am glad you are ok as well. Good lesson for sturdy glasses.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
From their website HANDGUN listed!
Thanks for the clarification ... I was referencing what I had read earlier this year while purchasing a few bricks from Midway... (underlined text, mine)
Link:

“Aguila ammunition features a wide variety of unique loads for special rimfire applications. Aguila Interceptor ammunition is the fastest 40 grain 22 Long Rifle load on the market with an impressive 1470 feet per second muzzle velocity. This ammunition is new-production and non-corrosive and is recommended for use in bolt action rifles.”

From their website HANDGUN listed!

and here it shows rilfe only, hollowpoints. Makes you wonder. I just think I shall stay away from it. I do have a Ruger single six with a 22Mag cylinder, probably ok in it.

View attachment 1184452

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Aguila also has a SuperMaxium 30 gr ammo that is rated at 1700fps. I've never tried it in anything but my bolt action rifles. It has been super reliable and fairly accurate but not super accurate.

Here is some more info: waiting response from Walther. Aguila sent some forms.
I found one new gun at Academy....40min drive. Got it. Fired CCI mini mags working great. Remington golden bullets just 5, number five had similar issue: loud bang, fumes. Case blown in the back.... Internals look OK.... Fired Federal Auto was basically single action. Cleaned , then fired 10-20 CCI works well.... NOW the safety is very hard to activate.....
Double bad luck? defect in design.... Only advice: use CCI if you can find.
Ammo: store had nothing. They did have Glocks, Smiths and Canik.....
The only reason I got the PPKs is sentimental, was the first I fired (old one from Dad) and my buddies also had those growing up. The old ones were sturdy, now they don't seem the same quality.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I hate hearing about your experience. I have a fairly recent Walther PPKs and it's been flawless with any ammo I've tried so far; several types of CCI and Aguila, Remington & Federal bulk. In fact the Walther PPK/s has been the most reliable and forgiving 22 semi-automatic of the few I own.

Again, get the lot number off to Vista.

I’ve been considering a .22 PPK for my grandson when he’s old enough. I’m thinking it’s size would be great got s young’un.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Interesting. I see that your box say Eley Prime but the stuff on their website is Aguilla Prime (as is the Super Extra brick I have sitting in my ammo locker). It makes me wonder 1) How old the ammo is. Not that it should matter but it looks like Aquilla dropped the Eley Prime 4-ish years ago... and 2) And this might just be my old eyes but it looks to me like the case is slightly unsupported where the blow out occurred. Maybe a slightly hotter charge than was intended / slight lack of case support where the extractor cut (I think that is what that is?) is lead to a perfect storm and a kaboom happened?

No response from Walther so far, may need to call them next week. Interestingly, these new (and I don't know when it changed) barrels are just a 2mm sleeve they stick into a steel pipe....., these are not like the old type "real solid" steel barrels. It's the same on their HK MP5 22clone, like a metal straw into the tube, glued?? I really have no idea how these are made, but they are different to what I had 30yrs ago....
Will speak w them before I clear the case off the barrel.....wonder if that thin sleeve cracked...., now that would be bad. Replacing the whole extractor system (spring, extractor and bearing is probably easy....(though no parts to be found).

Top Bottom