What's new

My RDS EDC Journey to Date- Cautiously Optimistic

My RDS Journey-apologies for any formatting issues as I typed it out first on a couple of different platforms. LONG, LONG RAMBLE FOLLOWS:

In the last few months, due to the encouragement and generosity of two PF members, I am presently on the cusp of carrying a Gen 3 G17 Direct milled Upper with a Holosun 507 w/ all black Ameriglo suppressor height BUIS for EDC. I have been relatively agnostic to the pistol RDS scene though I was a mainstream adopter of such for my carbine in the early 2000’s with a Rev E EoTech and its replacement- an Aimpoint Pro.

I traded texturing services for the RDS/BUIS “set”. While I have not been shy in trying to buy NON-PRC goods when there is a viable alternative, even if such alternative costs more, not acknowledging the overall reliability/value/innovation/quality of Holosun would be less than candid. Holosun is clearly positioning themselves in the same way Apple has-the products tend to work and work well so long as they work fresh from the box. They continue to innovate/duplicate as much as they can get away with in the market. They are clearly not resting on laurels and/or large govt/mil/leo contracts.

Aimpoint’s continued missteps with the ACRO in terms of battery life and availability is creating opportunity for Holosun and others. Given the battery access advantage possessed by Holosun & Aimpoint, I would find having to remove a sight to change the battery a non-starter on a personally owned/maintained firearm. Having said that, I am on a wait list for an Acro P2 with an ETA of 1 Sept 22. It will likely get direct milled to a G22 .40 cal upper.

The set-up has proven quite reliable with a variety of range and carry ammo, primarily expended during client agency open quals over the last 8 weeks. (115 blazer aluminum, 115/124 Lawman, WWB, Fiocchi and Speer.) My prior RDS pistol experience consisted of one 200ish round session with a Leopold equipped USMS SOG Staccato in 2020 and one 15 round session in 2010 ish with a Glock 23 wearing just a Dr Optic al la Kelly McCann.

As per my RDS guru, I shot without a BUIS to “drive home” a target focused approach. I found my accuracy and qualification scores to be equal to that of iron sights. My shots at 15 yards were immediately tighter. My head shots during the qual course of 4 iterations - 2 body/1 head were tighter as well.

After approximately 700 rounds, I mounted the BUIS last Thurs with my new MGW 309 Glock Sight Pusher (slanted) and shot a 98/100 shooting as fast as I could on every evolution during which I launched a round just out of the scoring line dropping 2 points during high teens split I was deliberately running the gun as hard as I could re function checking my various training mags (OEM and Magpul.) There was no thought of "co witnessing" anything. I installed the all black irons as per my standard (1cc width right oriented as a right handed) They were POI/POA ish 3 to 15yrds. Next time I get outside or when it works indoors, I will see what there is to see at 20-25.

I also shot the Rangemaster June DTOM shooting 185/200 (My scoring presumed 10 on the 3x5, 9 on the exposed 9 black area not covered by the card and 8 in the 8 area, 0 if it was outside of the 8). I dumped 2 round low right when I was support hand shooting only. (Therein lies a clue btw.)

What really knocked me over the top re likely EDC was an exercise the line did after the qual. The instructor drew what was essentially a 5x 8 horizontal scoring area over the face of the target to simulate the exposure area of the Buffalo NY shooter who was wearing body armor and a helmet when he was reportedly shot center mass but not put down by a retired Buffalo area LEO. We were to shoot 2 rounds within a 3 second exposure from the low ready at 7 and 15 yards. While I suspect I could have made the 7-yard shots without an RDS, in the real world, pre RDS, I would not have attempted the 15-yard shots absent a very open field of fire AND a significant backstop. In short-2/2@7. 2/2@15 with time to spare on both 3 second exposures.

Simply put, the RDS allowed me to make shoots at speed that I could not have made with irons. I fully acknowledge the odds of me ever having to make such a shot may be remote. Having said that, I have always been an Odds v. Stakes kind of person for a long-time vis a vis Tom Givens and my first shooting mentor- Maj Douglas Smith (USAR Ret/RIP)

Vision Issues:
I am 20/60 needing a moderate distance correction with some astigmatism. I do not need readers at all UNLESS I have my distance contacts in. I am at the point that I see the iron front sight of a pistol clearer without my corrective lenses than with. Shooting workarounds have included both monovision contacts and reduced power corrective lenses/contacts whereby my dominant eye was under corrected. Alternatively, I can perceive the need to shoot and then look over my correction when wearing glasses to see a crisp front sight and go from there. Those approaches can cost visual acuity and/or time.

RDS Interplay:
With the RDS and my standard corrective lenses/glasses, I see a very crisp dot. Without, I see a pixelated blob that increases with the size of the dot/reticle. In short, using an RDS would allow me to have maximum distance vision to better read
faces/body language with overall visual acuity. While the blob is a bit off putting, I know that out to the edge of my visual acuity without corrective lenses, 10 ish yards, I can still make rapid, high center mass hits. Perhaps the ultimate solution is some type of multifocal lenses.

Concealability:
There is no doubt that with the holsters I have used to date in the AIWB position (Graith/Mastermind Tactics Kydex/SOB Condom/CCC Shaggy) there is a concealment penalty with a bit of printing of the optic relative to a non RDS gun.
I would note that I am on the cusp of L v XL in shirt sizing and I have been tending to go smaller for fashion/fit. I would also note that the vast majority of the time, concealed means concealed, it does not mean invisible to the naked trained eye at 1 meter. Having said that, this fact for me is still under consideration for the next optic I buy ( as opposed to trade for) as the ACRO 2 is undoubtedly bigger than the 407/507 Holosun offerings that continue to review well on PF and elsewhere.

Next Steps:
I am likely to buy a Gen 5 Glock MOS next. First in 9 and then in .40 as those remain the calibers my client agencies train with. Should Glock release their rumored ACRO optimized pistol here (i.e. milled rail as per the M&P LEO sku of the same ilk) I would likely spend the extra and go that route presuming availability when I was ready to buy. If not, given the experiences of the SMEs on this board with the Holosun line, I could be forced to make the Apple exception and buy despite the PRC status.

1st time shooting at 15 with RDS (5 shots in 6 seconds/4 in 5/1 in 2, all from low ready behind a barricade. Targets face and then turn away) That super low shot was me chasing the dot v being target focused.

[IMG alt="Name: 47FEFE56-1EFE-4F3E-B17D-AD48E24E8D3F.jpg
Views: 132
Size: 47.7 KB"]https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=90161&d=1655217879[/IMG]

Same a few weeks later
[IMG alt="Name: 907D3EB0-D28D-4001-8B3A-E4449F9F342E.jpg
Size: 37.2 KB"]https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=90162&d=1655218049[/IMG]

Same a few weeks later still
[IMG alt="Name: 669DE279-FAB8-42B2-BC99-A67964F5D607.jpg
Views: 131
Size: 40.1 KB"]https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=90163&d=1655218090[/IMG]

Note high right just outside the line. Deliberately shooting faster than I could likely process. (high teen splits)
[IMG alt="Name: 9EA7817F-09BB-440B-932E-AE5D42DA8BA9.jpg
Size: 35.6 KB"]https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=90164&d=1655218165[/IMG]

2 at 7 in 3 seconds from the low ready as described above
[IMG alt="Name: BE1C350B-20CE-4A0E-8585-FCF9068D4F02.jpg
Size: 18.4 KB"]https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=90165&d=1655218220[/IMG]

2 at 15 in 3 seconds from the low ready as described above
[IMG alt="Name: 6E9BD643-98D1-4038-ADF4-9A1EBAB63453.jpg
Size: 25.8 KB"]https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=90166&d=1655218255[/IMG]

June 2022 Rangemaster DOTM.
1659543414190.png

Top Bottom