What's new

New Pellet Pistol

I have Beeman's pneumatic version. Lower power but it's a tack driver.

Beeman used to sell my favorite brand of pellets.
I haven't seen Silver Jets in decades.
They had a slightly higher tin content which made them harder than most.
I've been saving them for the day when I get a 1000+ fps rifle.

DSCN1339b.jpg

DSCN1342b.jpg

I have an old tobacco pouch that was sold by Beeman for a pellet pouch, that has what looks like about 1 1/2 tins of Silver Jet's. I cannot find where any are for sale, but here are some that look similar, I have a couple of tins but have not tried any

Kind of pricy from amazon, I know mine did not come from there.

I have an old tobacco pouch that was sold by Beeman for a pellet pouch, that has what looks like about 1 1/2 tins of Silver Jet's. I cannot find where any are for sale, but here are some that look similar, I have a couple of tins but have not tried any

Kind of pricy from amazon, I know mine did not come from there.
H&N makes a great line of pellets. I use one of their flat pellets with a narrow skirt to cut paper targets.

I just got in a new pellet pistol a Weihrauch HW 45. A break barrel in .177 that looks like a 1911 on steroids, at least the slide area, It uses the same grips as a standare 1911. I ran a patch through the barrel, and took it for a bit of zeroing. A little left windeage and a bit of up and I was centering a 1" bull at about ten yards then back to 25 shooting at some hanging soda cans dancing in the breeze, Easy hits and then tried it offhand and again real easy. I have a higher priced lower powered version that is a single stroke piston vs the spring air of this one. The springer is much easier to ****, probably not as accurate due to the spring recoil, vs absolutly no firing impulse on the other but it seems to be more fun.
I've had a Beeman P-1 for 20-25 years a really like it. Your version is similar but I'm sure much improved. I have a Beeman scope for it but make the pistol very heavy and I prefer to shoot it with open sights. I should probably try a red dot on it.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
These are the best pellets I’ve ever used. These were purchased by my grandfather and he passed away in 1989 so they’re at least that old. I have no idea if the modern production version is any good. I’m saving these for shots at the tree rats and chipmunks in my yard.
A74AD4FB-13D9-410B-BC51-912549AC6EA4.jpeg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I haven't pulled out the old P1 for a while. I've had it for about 30 years. It was orginally in .177 but I rebarreled it to .22 for a while. Had to find lighter .22 pellets for it, otherwise it was like shooting softballs -- had to loft 'em. I eventually put it back to .177.

I also have a Webley Tempest I got from Beeman. I put their competition grips on it, tore it all down and cleaned things up and used super-lube on the spring and piston. Very nice little piece.

Here in Canada I have to have a gun-club membership in order to own the P1 because it looks so much like a larger firearm and has higher muzzle velocity. The lower muzzle velocity of the Tempest is under the legal limit.

My son's been saying he wants it. As soon as he finds a gunsmith willing to accept a shipment, away it goes. I'm just not shooting as much as I used to, even with a nice rock quarry literally in my back yard. He'll also get the revolver my Dad carried every day to school from age 6 to 17, back in a much different world where boys took a gun to school so they could hunt their way back home.

O.H.

I haven't pulled out the old P1 for a while. I've had it for about 30 years. It was orginally in .177 but I rebarreled it to .22 for a while. Had to find lighter .22 pellets for it, otherwise it was like shooting softballs -- had to loft 'em. I eventually put it back to .177.

I also have a Webley Tempest I got from Beeman. I put their competition grips on it, tore it all down and cleaned things up and used super-lube on the spring and piston. Very nice little piece.

Here in Canada I have to have a gun-club membership in order to own the P1 because it looks so much like a larger firearm and has higher muzzle velocity. The lower muzzle velocity of the Tempest is under the legal limit.

My son's been saying he wants it. As soon as he finds a gunsmith willing to accept a shipment, away it goes. I'm just not shooting as much as I used to, even with a nice rock quarry literally in my back yard. He'll also get the revolver my Dad carried every day to school from age 6 to 17, back in a much different world where boys took a gun to school so they could hunt their way back home.

O.H.
Your post makes me think I need to get my P1 out and at least take a few shots of it and accessories, pellets, etc to post here.

Given the higher muzzle velocity, do you find the report of the P1 noticeably louder than the Tempest? I'd love to pick up an HW45/P1 but the Tempest noise level is about upper limits for my situation.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Given the higher muzzle velocity, do you find the report of the P1 noticeably louder than the Tempest? I'd love to pick up an HW45/P1 but the Tempest noise level is about upper limits for my situation.

Early on I converted the P1 to .22 but after having a hard time finding some good pellets for it I went back to .177. I found that it had a little quieter pop at .22 than .177, which seems to make sense from the physics. As I think about it, I think the Tempest is slightly louder than the P1. That may be due to the Tempest's muzzle opening not being enclosed by the bodywork as the P1 is. I can imagine that the enclosure would help to send some of the pressure wave away from the shooter.

O.H.

Reactions: tm3
Early on I converted the P1 to .22 but after having a hard time finding some good pellets for it I went back to .177. I found that it had a little quieter pop at .22 than .177, which seems to make sense from the physics. As I think about it, I think the Tempest is slightly louder than the P1. That may be due to the Tempest's muzzle opening not being enclosed by the bodywork as the P1 is. I can imagine that the enclosure would help to send some of the pressure wave away from the shooter.

O.H.
Thanks for that. Yes I've also heard that the .22 is a little quieter than the .177.

Interesting that the Tempest is louder. Knowing that may be the push I need to pull the trigger on an HW45/P1. It's one of my bucket list pistols and I wish that I had bought one in the early 80's for $200 or so.

I have been wanting a pure target pistol, and "bit the bullet" and ordered a Air Venturi AV-46, made it Russia. I went ahead and got it before supplies dried up. That thing is super accurate, out of the box the two stage trigger is about 4 oz. I got an upgrade trigger that replaces the standard fixed trigger blade with a shaft that moves fore and aft and a trigger shoe that moves up and down on that shaft and rotates side to side so you can adjust to your finger. I only fired about 20 ronds yesterday before it got too warm to be comfortable , firing at a measured 33 feet, 10 meters, and off a rest could get ragged one shot groups. That long unwieldly looking underlever makes cocking a breeze. Another advantage is that it can be dry fired. That's when you really sense how light the trigger is. It is also adjustable for pull weight, first and second stage let off. The red/black lamaitate stock/handgrip is a bit large and bulky but made that way so you can trim it to a custom fit.

1652447379339.jpeg

Not the prettiest thing going, but accurate. It's by todays standards old school, a single stroke pneumatic, rather easy to ****, specs say 18 lbs of force to ****, but it seems less

I liked the look of the earlier IZH models which had a plain wood grip, the red/black really does nothing for me, but with this gun looks is not high on the list of requirements. It looks awkward, but is slightly muzzle heavy and holds good in the offhand position. My problem there is I am 76 years old, and have always worked a job that did not require a lot of muscle strength, so kind lacking there, I need to get a weight and just hold it out some and increase thaat arm strength.

Top Bottom