What's new

2023 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Year of The Prisoner

MdC/Muhle Monday

PXL_20230522_141055139.jpg

New brush in the den: 1x 28 mm Tut B&B Contributors Brush, Satin Jade, PSB 2-band

The MdC/Muhle crowd know about the excellent results we get on Mondays. Today's attraction is the new Paladin brush. It passed the first shave with flying colors.
Onward tomorrow to Tallow Tabac Tuesdays!

Please take care of yourself and each other.

05.22.23_Shave_Pic.jpg

2023 GRUYERE #49 - Still in
May 2023 GRUME #31 - Still in

Date: 05.22.23
Days growth: 3

Head shaver

Razor: Schick Krona
Blade: Treet Platinum (5)
Brush: Vintage Ever Ready R110 pure badger

Pre-shave: Hot shower using CeraVe Renewing SA cleanser on face and head with facial scrubber

Lather: Proraso Sensitive Skin cream
Lather bowl fine accoutrements

Passes: 1 plus pick-ups

Post Shave Routine and products:
1 - Hot rinse with microfiber towel X2
2 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
3 - Alum block
4 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
5 - Aftershave - Black Magic Private Collection Alcohol Free
6 - Balm: Pure Aloe gel

Time from shower on to dressed and ready: 40

NOTES: I got a lot of sun this weekend up here in the Colorado Rockies. I needed a mild shave. I picked the razor for it's mildness, same with the Proraso sensitive skin shave cream, alcohol free aftershave, and the pure aloe gel. It was a good shave and just what I needed. Unfortunately the alum block quarter size piece I had left after breaking it just crumbled. I will be ordering a replacement alum block, I do not think it will disqualify me from GRUYERE or May GRUME but if it does, I can accept that.

Quality: 9/10, some light stubble in places but I did not want to do additional passes as to avoid any irritation.
Comfort: 10/10 I had zero irritation or burn with anything. It was good.
Enjoyment: 10/10
Overall: 9.66/10

linty1

My wallet cries.
E8EAA1FA-2401-4BCF-B43A-64104054A4E2.jpeg

Still in.

After a long stretch of using razors such as the asd2 and feather popular, switching over to the Colonial general feels downright aggressive. Relatively feeling. This is prob my favourite razor, if the guys over at Colonial ever get back to producing razors, it would have my attention. 2 pass shave, the first shave was sorta scrapey, so a little more water, and a lighter touch and the second pass was wonderful. This razor... even though I had set it a bit lower, it feels kinda floppy. Super soft though, I can see how it used to be my main/workhorse brush. I do like a little more density/backbone these days, but can't beat the softness. I may need to ask Rudy for a second one to put in a denser knot... maybe thats a "long term" thing. We'll see.

Hi,

I'm back home after working elsewhere for the past four days. My ground travel razor is a Schick Type C repeater. Most think of them as Injectors, except the early ones housed a blade clip in the handle and one swung the head to allow a new blade to push the old one out. Modern injector blades don't work this way quite right so one needs to use a pair of pliers to change blades.

Well, anyway, I use this because it has a nice cap over the head. That makes it great in the dopp kit. And it shaves pretty well, but it isn't the Fasan Double Slant which I leave at home.

Anyway, back home now and just about to wander off to the bathroom and shave with the Fasan. :)

Stan

linty1

My wallet cries.
1D14A5A6-E1DB-4608-A282-D7AF13071CDD.jpeg

Still in, got a shave in before a busy few days/weekend. In this photo I also wanted to get the handle on the razor, one of those Timeless handles. I really like his one, its quite grippy. I also like the look of their spiral handle, but I don't have that one. Also a bloomed brush photo:

434BAC6E-CB6E-4757-9BDE-3BC39C565BB2.jpeg

Hope everyone has a good finish to the week.

20230525_065557.jpg

Date: 05.25.23

Head shaver

Razor: 1940s Gillette Tech razor
Blade: Vidyut Supermax - Super Stainless (1)
Brush: Vielong black horsehair

Pre-shave: Hot shower using Duke Cannon Bay Rum on face and head with facial scrubber.

Lather: Clubman Pinaud hard soap

Passes: 1.5

3 - Alum block << brand new Osma block 1st use
5 - Aftershave: Clubman Coachman
6 - Balm: LEA 3IN1

Time from shower on to dressed and ready: 49 min.

NOTES: Great shave! DFS+ / DCS This was the first use and first time using a Vidyut Supermax - Super. The blade was reasonably sharp and smooth but not awesome/remarkable. First time using my replacement Osma alum block that replaced the shattered and crumbled Gentleman Jon. The Osma is far superior to the Gentleman Jon (see this thread at my last post for my further opinion Witch hazel and alum - http://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/witch-hazel-and-alum.634937/
Quality: 9.5/10
Comfort: 10/10
Overall: 9.8/10

Date26.05.2023
365 daily shaves / GRUYERE146/365 (100%)
146/363 (99%)
GRUME May / Soap of the Month Club(SOTMC)
26/29 (94%)
26/31 (100%)
Modern May21/31
(84%)

RazorBladeBrush
Lambda Athena
Gillette Black (17)Omega Roma
SoapPasses
Pre- & Post-shave
Haslinger
Sandelholz
WTG XTG
ATG
1. Cold splash
2. KCG Face Wash
3. Proraso Green preshave
4. Cold splash
5. Aftershave
6. Balm

Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
8/10 (~20 m)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
7.5/10 (DFS)10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to these shaves:

First facial shave with the Athena - my exception for GRUYERE. Bought for a special occasion and that occasion occurred yesterday. The blade gave such a great performance yesterday I just had to reward that with another shave. And again it performed marvellous.

I noticed that parts of my face were either in or approaching marble status telling me that when I get the angle right this will be an even more effective razor.

For extended notes click here.

Enjoy your shave.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
View attachment 1660412

Date: 05.25.23

Head shaver

Razor: 1940s Gillette Tech razor
Blade: Vidyut Supermax - Super Stainless (1)
Brush: Vielong black horsehair

Pre-shave: Hot shower using Duke Cannon Bay Rum on face and head with facial scrubber.

Lather: Clubman Pinaud hard soap

Passes: 1.5

3 - Alum block << brand new Osma block 1st use
5 - Aftershave: Clubman Coachman
6 - Balm: LEA 3IN1

Time from shower on to dressed and ready: 49 min.

NOTES: Great shave! DFS+ / DCS This was the first use and first time using a Vidyut Supermax - Super. The blade was reasonably sharp and smooth but not awesome/remarkable. First time using my replacement Osma alum block that replaced the shattered and crumbled Gentleman Jon. The Osma is far superior to the Gentleman Jon (see this thread at my last post for my further opinion Witch hazel and alum - http://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/witch-hazel-and-alum.634937/
Quality: 9.5/10
Comfort: 10/10
Overall: 9.8/10
Never heard of that after shave how is it

I’ve been using my Karve Chris Bradley razor since last Sunday and I’m reminded with every shave how good this razor really is. I’ve alternated with the B and C plates. I’m on blood thinners, so I have to keep things on the mild side. I find that there’s not much difference between these two plates, but, understandably, the C plate gives me a slightly closer shave. I like the weight and balance of this razor and the knurling on the handle makes it easy to control even when wet. The Chris Bradley is one fine razor!

#10 here and I’m still in.

IMG_3487.jpeg

Date27.05.2023
365 daily shaves / GRUYERE147/365 (100%)
147/363 (99%)
GRUME May / Soap of the Month Club(SOTMC)
27/29 (94%)
27/31 (100%)
Modern May22/31
(84%)

RazorBladeBrush
Lambda Athena
001_wub.gif

Gillette Black (19)Zenith 502B XSE
001_wub.gif
SoapPasses
Pre- & Post-shave
Haslinger
Sandelholz
WTG
XTG
ATG
1. Cold splash
2. KCG Face Wash
3. Proraso Green preshave

4. Cold splash
5. Aftershave
6. Balm

Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
8/10 (~20 m)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to these shaves:

Still out as warder - but feeling quite at ease. Experienced some sudden FOMO because of news about MWF, but I believe there are equally good soaps and I have just started this puck.

Another top tier shave with the Athena. Maybe faintly less than yesterday, but there was also less stubble to deal with than yesterday. The blade continues to perform so I will grant its 20 shave as well and we’ll see what tomorrow brings after that.

For extended notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
A question for you gentlemen... I am going to have to get some more electric pre shave soon. I would rather spend $30 for 10 of the same thing, than $7 for 1. Seems wasteful to get a terrible deal. That being said I will abide by the rules of GRUYERE.

Still in, finally nearing the end of my stirling bay rum puck and occasionally finding lost packs of dollar shave club cartridges around the house as I work through my blade sampler. Never ended up buying a new shave mug yet, been far too distracted with my car….
Looks like I’ll be well stocked through the rest of the year though.

Top Bottom