What's new

2023 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Year of The Prisoner

A question for you gentlemen... I am going to have to get some more electric pre shave soon. I would rather spend $30 for 10 of the same thing, than $7 for 1. Seems wasteful to get a terrible deal. That being said I will abide by the rules of GRUYERE.
Hi,

I don't know what this is. One is supposed to stock up on what one needs for shaving for an entire year prior to the start, or during the restock period for those who were In last year.

However, the word Electric along with Pre Shave tells me this is for use with an electric shaver. If so, then I can see where it doesn't apply to us. We usually ignore things Electric around here. ;)

Someone needed to switch (get it?) to Electric in the beginning this year and it wasn't counted. Doctor's Orders. Was this you? I can't recall just who it was.

For the usual wet shaving supplies, buying 1 would be enough to put one Out. I'm not inclined to count anything for electric shavers, though.

Stan

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Hi,

I don't know what this is. One is supposed to stock up on what one needs for shaving for an entire year prior to the start, or during the restock period for those who were In last year.

However, the word Electric along with Pre Shave tells me this is for use with an electric shaver. If so, then I can see where it doesn't apply to us. We usually ignore things Electric around here. ;)

Someone needed to switch (get it?) to Electric in the beginning this year and it wasn't counted. Doctor's Orders. Was this you? I can't recall just who it was.

For the usual wet shaving supplies, buying 1 would be enough to put one Out. I'm not inclined to count anything for electric shavers, though.

Stan
Yes, this was me. Doctors orders to switch to electric.

Technically speaking there was no way you could have known to have to be stocking up for this event at the beginning of the year.

So I would say that you can stock up in a similar way you would have during the time frame of stocking up should you have known.

But that’s just my 2ct as warder - so what do I know.

Guido
I’ll agree with this decision. No way @CzechCzar would have known back at the start of the year.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Technically speaking there was no way you could have known to have to be stocking up for this event at the beginning of the year.

So I would say that you can stock up in a similar way you would have during the time frame of stocking up should you have known.

But that’s just my 2ct as warder - so what do I know.

Guido

I’ll agree with this decision. No way @CzechCzar would have known back at the start of the year.
Thank you gentleman. I'll consider eventually purchasing it.

Porkins still somehow in!

Stay On Target.gif

Date31.05.2023
365 daily shaves / GRUYERE151/365 (100%)
151/363 (99%)
GRUME May / Soap of the Month Club(SOTMC)
31/29 (94%)
31/31 (100%)
Modern May26/31
(84%)

RazorBladeBrush
Lambda Athena
Gillette Black (22)Kox Blue Synthetic
SoapPasses
Pre- & Post-shave
Haslinger
Sandelholz
WTG
XTG
ATG
1. Cold splash
2. KCG Face Wash
3. Proraso Green preshave
4. Cold splash
5. Aftershave
6. Balm

Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
8/10 (~20 m)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
7/10 (DFS)10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to these shaves:

Warder #44 checking in to congratulate all those that completed yet another month! Way to go! Not much going on here. After switching sides in the village I had two purchases (for two items) and that was it. All things considering feeling good about my progress on getting the ADs under control.

Considered to do a last minute switch to my Tech, but decided to do that for another time and finish May on a high with the Athena. Superb shave with excellent results.

For extended notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Still in!

Screenshot_20230110_130349_YouTube-01.jpeg

From the warder report...

... No. 31 did not suffer from any temptations as of lately. Still, he's far from being ready to disclose the relevant information we want to get from him (inter alia, why did he buy that much stuff in the past).
We might have to monitor #31 further to get more insight... Anyway, no attempts were made by #31 to leave The Village. "

Another month is in the books!
Congrats! 😀👍

Be seeing you!

Yes, this was me. Doctors orders to switch to electric.
Hi,

I thought that was you. Well, you are good in any event. There was no way to do a stock-up in the beginning for you. Buy what makes sense.

And, I think I shall follow my thought from yesterday. We all tend to over do it with wet shaving gear (No! Not Us! Perish the thought!). I just can't see where Electric specific stuff ought to count. Unless someone should sign up saying they need to join us because they have a pile of electric shavers. And that's possible. There have been some really cool looking electric shavers and some wild mechanical designs (as to how well they do or don't work, I don't know).

Yes, it's shaving. And so is dry shaving. Which I do sometimes after I spot a missed spot and don't want to drag the brush and soap back out. I don't recommend dry shaving except in these very small areas worth.....

Stan

Congrats to all GRUME graduates! I even consider the 29-30/31ers to have had a good month.
Thanks again Brandon, @FoolishMortal for being a GREAT host of this thread and its tradition.
Thanks Stan, @KQY61 for the longer term commitment in GRUYERE.

1685548985826.jpeg

I have mostly thought of myself as a mild razor kinda guy. Today I used plate R5 on the Rockwell 6S and the shave was as smooth as silk. Considering that I used to use plate 2 and then 3 and 4 and now 5, I am wondering about the use of more aggressive geometry razors???
Onward to June GRUME and the continuation of GRUYERE.
Please take care of yourself and each other.

Back from 5 days citytrip Rome, What a wonderfull city.
Resisted visiting a shaving shop so still in.
Glad to change traveling Glillette Mach3 for something descent again.

Last shave of the month

Fatip piccolo
BIC Chrome Platinum (4)
Anbbas synth brush
Proraso Red (SOTM) La Toja shaving stick
Nivea sensitive ASB
Brut Musk EdT

Not a great shave this morning. Used bic chrome platinum . Felt quite a burn with Lilac Vegx and a little irritation early in the day. Shaved again this evening and changed blade to a Rapira. It was more comfortable and less irritating. Will be paying closer attention when using bic blades.

Be seeing you!!

Be seeing you.

Wow, haven’t posted for awhile here. Still in, still enjoying what I have and learning how to use some of it. My repaired Badger is holding up and I’m grateful to have it back.
I mentioned elsewhere that I realized it is a lot easier for me to use a 1-10 rating system than the SAS-BBS system. Much less thinking involved.
Today’s shave: For the first time in a while I wasn’t rushed, so I spent some extra time on my shave. I found out it takes almost an extra 10 minutes to go from a 9.4 to a 9.75. (Shave 293 on my Feather.)
Be seeing you!

linty1

My wallet cries.
I present to you my current case for everyone to judge:

I purchased the Beagle brush that was in the BST. That normally would kick me out... except the Beagle is a group buy brush... so does:

Group exceptions:

• ALL Badger and Blade branded items including B&B Group Buys

this still apply? Let me know, much appreciated.

Well another month went by and I am still in, trying to figure out what June will be about shave wise. Keep the Merkur 34 HD C and a known blade and enjoy easy peasy shave or torment myself and try my hand with a different razor / razors ? After all I have plenty of razor that have not yet seen the day of light this year , not to count the blades that I bought just to try ...

On the bright side, another shaving staple kicked the dust this month .

Bye Bye Proraso White AS balm, you and I had a few great months together.

IMG-0987.jpg

I present to you my current case for everyone to judge:

I purchased the Beagle brush that was in the BST. That normally would kick me out... except the Beagle is a group buy brush... so does:

Group exceptions:

• ALL Badger and Blade branded items including B&B Group Buys

this still apply? Let me know, much appreciated.
Hi,

Hmmmm. I can't say as I know....for sure....

I figure it means the Group Buy at the time it's brand new. Such as the 2023 Contributor brush we just had (which I passed on).

But, then, there is the fact that these things are branded B&B. And should one on the BST be different than one not yet made?

Finally, I presume the BST price tag was lower than it was when it wasn't yet made? That'd be a case of Smart Saving....

Aw, heck. My head hurts now. :p

So now that I have waffled enough to warrant a bottle of maple syrup, what do others think? Maybe this needs to be a Group Decision....

Stan

Hi,

Hmmmm. I can't say as I know....for sure....

I figure it means the Group Buy at the time it's brand new. Such as the 2023 Contributor brush we just had (which I passed on).

But, then, there is the fact that these things are branded B&B. And should one on the BST be different than one not yet made?

Finally, I presume the BST price tag was lower than it was when it wasn't yet made? That'd be a case of Smart Saving....

Aw, heck. My head hurts now. :p

So now that I have waffled enough to warrant a bottle of maple syrup, what do others think? Maybe this needs to be a Group Decision....

Stan
I always took the exception to mean okay to participate in the group buy. When something hits BST, it’s just another shaving item.

That being said, fine by me if the group wants to amend or clarify the rules to allow. I would take myself out anyway but that is my personal decision.

The beagle is a great brush. Mine gets used every other day.

Top Bottom