What's new

2021 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek

Still in (..)

I'm able to resume shaving after suffering from the aftermath of some terrible skin irritations, mainly due to stress and lack of proper aftershave in my regimen.

I purchased 2 aftershave at the beginning of the year :
Anherb and Nivea, I had a few years old Old Spice Original ASL as backup.

Turns out my skin didn't respond favorably to the Old Spice aftershave lotion, Nivea balm was unusable in the Summer heat and Anherb aftershave died mid Summer.

Anherb turned watery in a matter of days and the liquid was of no use as aftershave.

So, after contemplating on what factors to work on and how to make my shaves irritation free, I decided to discontinue use of Old Spice Original ASL, Anherb was thrown in the dustbin and Nivea balm was given a rest till winters.

I had to order some ingredients to make a homemade aftershave as I didn't have anything suitable to use.

These are the things that were ordered :
Vegetal Glycerine is not in the photo

IMG_20210628_230124.jpg

I did not had an alternative to this purchase, shaves weren't comfortable as skin needed aftershave care.

Let me know if I'm still in or not.

Still in (..)

I'm able to resume shaving after suffering from the aftermath of some terrible skin irritations, mainly due to stress and lack of proper aftershave in my regimen.

I purchased 2 aftershave at the beginning of the year :
Anherb and Nivea, I had a few years old Old Spice Original ASL as backup.

Turns out my skin didn't respond favorably to the Old Spice aftershave lotion, Nivea balm was unusable in the Summer heat and Anherb aftershave died mid Summer.

Anherb turned watery in a matter of days and the liquid was of no use as aftershave.

So, after contemplating on what factors to work on and how to make my shaves irritation free, I decided to discontinue use of Old Spice Original ASL, Anherb was thrown in the dustbin and Nivea balm was given a rest till winters.

I had to order some ingredients to make a homemade aftershave as I didn't have anything suitable to use.

These are the things that were ordered :
Vegetal Glycerine is not in the photo

View attachment 1289724

I did not had an alternative to this purchase, shaves weren't comfortable as skin needed aftershave care.

Let me know if I'm still in or not.
I've been using a mixture of witch hazel, aloe vera gel, and tea tree oil as my after-shave splash for well over a year and it has worked very well for me. I wish you much success with your recipe. Be well and stay safe...

I've been using a mixture of witch hazel, aloe vera gel, and tea tree oil as my after-shave splash for well over a year and it has worked very well for me. I wish you much success with your recipe. Be well and stay safe...
In my case - Better late than never.

I too should have searched for this combination of ingredients earlier, I saw witch hazel and Aloe Vera in many member's after shave but didn't paid much attention to it, though Nivea would suffice.

I'm already seeing the benefits of witch hazel, another member also suggested me the same.

Still in.
First shave with the Vector today.
Razor: Blackland Vector SB
Blade: Schick Proline
Brush: 22mm SHD Maggard re-knot
Bowl: Timeless
Soap & A/S: Stirling Executive Man
Fantastic first shave with the Vector! Thoroughly enjoyed it, and I’m looking forward to getting more proficient with it. Have a great day y’all!
BF3FA23E-2E47-4EF6-BEBE-F732F33B00D9.jpeg

Still in. I binned a Bic blade after 115 shaves, and now have a Bic blade in one of my techs, nice and sharp and smooth.

Not tempted by anything. Have decided that if I do one day decide I need to try a Fatip slant it will be a gold OC with the piccolo handle.

Finishing up a tub of Proraso white. After that I will open a tub of the red, which will be new for me. Proraso tubs are excellent for Haslinger soaps. I have a green one with Schafmilch in it, and the white one will get loaded with sage. I will have the full tricolore going.

Go Habs!

Still in

Pretty much just going through the motions and my kit has not varied a great deal. I have been using my homemade brushes, the synthetic more than the boar. I rotate between homemade soap, Vitos that I think is going to last forever, and Tabac on special occasions. I have been using the Rockwell 6c and GC .68 SB. Variable blades most recently an Indian GWS. I am having great shaves.

I have found that if I cut up the Vitos 1kg block that I purchased, press it into a bowl (I am using old cups), and then let it sit covered with a towel for several weeks that the soap will dry out. After the soap has dried out, I wrap the cups in plastic wrap. I think the soap will live for all the years it will take me to use it. I have had no trouble lathering the dried out Vitos. It even seems to keep its almond scent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom