What's new

2021 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek

Still in (..)

I'm able to resume shaving after suffering from the aftermath of some terrible skin irritations, mainly due to stress and lack of proper aftershave in my regimen.

I purchased 2 aftershave at the beginning of the year :
Anherb and Nivea, I had a few years old Old Spice Original ASL as backup.

Turns out my skin didn't respond favorably to the Old Spice aftershave lotion, Nivea balm was unusable in the Summer heat and Anherb aftershave died mid Summer.

Anherb turned watery in a matter of days and the liquid was of no use as aftershave.

So, after contemplating on what factors to work on and how to make my shaves irritation free, I decided to discontinue use of Old Spice Original ASL, Anherb was thrown in the dustbin and Nivea balm was given a rest till winters.

I had to order some ingredients to make a homemade aftershave as I didn't have anything suitable to use.

These are the things that were ordered :
Vegetal Glycerine is not in the photo

View attachment 1289724

I did not had an alternative to this purchase, shaves weren't comfortable as skin needed aftershave care.

Let me know if I'm still in or not.

I'm out!

That post wasn't sitting well with me and it was certainly wrong on my part to put the burden of deciding whether I was still in or not, that is after the fact that I purchased some shaving related items.

Although my aftershave "broke" and went unusable, but still it was a purchase and not a simple replacement but various items, abd that is playing loose with the guidelines.

I sensed that not one but several points/ rules were touched due to the purchase and that is enough for me to consider myself as being "Knocked out"
After all, it is supposed to be our call.

Even if nobody would have said that I was out, I won't have felt as good about completing the GRUYERE because I knew that I purchased something in the year.

I'll join fellow gentlemen in next adventure and hopefully I will be able to finish the year long journey without a hiccup.

I practiced restraint and developed a better sense of control, GRUYERE has helped me a lot.

Good luck to all of you and I must say that I am a better person after being in such fine company.

SS Enterprise.JPG Ship's log; crewman #Contact_vs_Feedback is the latest retirement.
SPS2021-3jul.JPG

...I sensed that not one but several points/ rules were touched due to the purchase and that is enough for me to consider myself as being "Knocked out"...
Latest casualty report follows:

Lt. j.g. @Contact_vs_Feedback beamed down to the planet Psi 2000 where he was inadvertently exposed to polywater. After returning to the ship, the crewman began acting strangely. It was later determined he stabbed himself while under the effects of polywater intoxication. Though his injuries should not have been fatal, the crewman apparently lost his will to live.

1625307374676.png

1625307424073.png

All casualty reports should now be up-to-date.

Latest casualty report follows:

Lt. j.g. @Contact_vs_Feedback beamed down to the planet Psi 2000 where he was inadvertently exposed to polywater. After returning to the ship, the crewman began acting strangely. It was later determined he stabbed himself while under the effects of polywater intoxication. Though his injuries should not have been fatal, the crewman apparently lost his will to live.

View attachment 1290929

View attachment 1290930

All casualty reports should now be up-to-date.
Thank you @Atlantic59 for the unique scenario, I'm honored.

... lost the will to live - yes, that is true.

I'll be better prepared for the next challenge.

@Contact_vs_Feedback, I admire your honesty and integrity. Six months in a sabbatical is a significant accomplishment. Many of us already have more than enough tools and consumables for several restraints. It's one thing to be out because of a good deal on a razor, brush, or limited edition soap that comes along during the year (not that there's really anything wrong with that). But I can't imagine anyone expecting you to endure another six months of discomfort and irritation because of the availability of post-shave products, or finding fault with your decision to seek a suitable replacement. Have a good shave today and a better one tomorrow...

Last edited:
I'm out!

That post wasn't sitting well with me and it was certainly wrong on my part to put the burden of deciding whether I was still in or not, that is after the fact that I purchased some shaving related items.

Although my aftershave "broke" and went unusable, but still it was a purchase and not a simple replacement but various items, abd that is playing loose with the guidelines.

I sensed that not one but several points/ rules were touched due to the purchase and that is enough for me to consider myself as being "Knocked out"
After all, it is supposed to be our call.

Even if nobody would have said that I was out, I won't have felt as good about completing the GRUYERE because I knew that I purchased something in the year.

I'll join fellow gentlemen in next adventure and hopefully I will be able to finish the year long journey without a hiccup.

I practiced restraint and developed a better sense of control, GRUYERE has helped me a lot.

Good luck to all of you and I must say that I am a better person after being in such fine company.
@Contact_vs_Feedback you made it to the 1/2 way point which is not too shabby! I appreciate your view and why you called out, a very honorable way to approach it. I look forward to seeing you next month in the August GRUME!

Still in.

Yesterday I finally finished off a Kiss My Face cream that I've been 3017ing since... last October I think. I made my last shaving purchase on black friday 2019, but with working from home this whole time, plus having my hours reduced and still not back to full time, I only shave 3 days per week. I can't see buying anything for a very long time at this point.

This KMF, I'm glad to be at the end finally. 11oz is a lot of product. I switched from my usual synthetic to an animal hair brush these last few weeks to help use it faster. Getting into some Ariana & Evans "SoCal Hipster" scent now for the next couple months at least, seems appropriate for the LA summer. Less work means more beach days--can't complain about that!

Hi,

Some of you may know that I am an Electronics R&D engineer. Specializing on those small portable radios for the most part. As in cell phones. But, before any of that, I worked for my first few years out of school as a Broadcast engineer. In the days when one needed an FCC 1st Class licence to do so.

And, so FM and AM broadcast where the power levels were well above what we are all used to these days. And the antennas were pretty darned large. Those towers you see at an AM Bcast station are not towers holding the antennas up like for everything else you see. They *are* the antennas. And they might be fed with just a few hundred watts or up to 50,000 of them. Yeah!

And, when you see an AM station with more than one antenna, that is to form a pattern that fits what the FCC requires that station to transmit. How does one make that happen? With a device made by the Gates Radio Company. It is called a:

Phaser.

Sometimes it is spelled Phasor.

Phasor.jpg

Those cranks at the bottom of the pic are the controls to set the energy phase to the antennas.

Anyway, I always wondered if Gene got the idea for ST phasers from these things.

The box to the left is a 5,000 watt AM transmitter.

I have seen all sorts of surplus electronics stuff used in the series. Too bad they never shot a scene in a 50,000 watt AM station with the really large transmitter. Would have made for an impressive phaser bank. ;)

Stan

Top Bottom