What's new

2019 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Maltese Falcon Razor

IMG_20190115_222353.jpg
Drop a picture of the cap and comb when you can. I also have a couple of Canadian heads, but they are ABC heads.
Here is a side shot of the head.
And another of the comb, from back just after I got it (forgot to take a new picture)
20170922_204612.jpg

Leaving for two weeks vacation today. This sabbatical makes it vitally important to make sure I have everything I need packed before I go.

Hope nobody gets “whacked” while I’m gone.

#52 still in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Leaving for two weeks vacation today. This sabbatical makes it vitally important to make sure I have everything I need packed before I go.

Hope nobody gets “whacked” while I’m gone.

#52 still in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I have a few week long trips coming up and packing is already on my mind. I joined the Sabbatical to curb my impulse (more for the sake of more) purchases. I hadn't factored in purchases based on need. Washing out of the challenge due to poor planning would be disappointing.

I need a rule call.

During the restock, I ordered two boar brushes since it wasn't clear if the one I wanted was actually in stock. I ended up getting both (A Semogue SOC and a 2000 by the same mfg). I want to keep the SOC, but now the 2000 is excess to my needs. I could return it to WCS since it's still in its wrapper.

1. Just get the cash back. (no restraint issues)
  2. Get a store credit and use it to buy something less than or equal to the credit. I'd already spent the money during the restock, so no new money spent.
  3. Get the cash back and spend it (or less) at another vendor.
  4. Put the brush up on the BST board and trade for something.
I'm fairly sure 1 and 4 are no problem. Two and three are much more dicey. If the money was spent in the restock period, technically, I'm not spending any "new" cash but I'd be making a new "purchase" outside the restock. I won't be cranky if it turns out 1 and 4 are my options to stay in.

jim

Last edited:
I need a rule call.

During the restock, I ordered two boar brushes since it wasn't clear if the one I wanted was actually in stock. I ended up getting both (A Semogue SOC and a 2000 by the same mfg). I want to keep the SOC, but now the 2000 is excess to my needs. I could return it to WCS since it's still in its wrapper.
  2. Get a store credit and use it to buy something less than or equal to the credit. I'd already spent the money during the restock, so no new money spent.
I'm fairly sure 1 and 4 are no problem. Two and three are much more dicey. If the money was spent in the restock period, technically, I'm not spending any "new" cash but I'd be making a new "purchase" outside the restock. I won't be cranky if it turns out 1 and 4 are my options to stay in. jim

Yes, as you say #1 and #4 are your best options.

#3 you are spending money on a new purchase during the restraint = out
#2 The credit would be like a gift certificate. Save it for 2020, or if you use it now for a new purchase, it would put you out.

You did spend the money during the restock, but on a brush. Now it sounds like a coupon or gift card.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I need a rule call.

I'm fairly sure 1 and 4 are no problem. Two and three are much more dicey. If the money was spent in the restock period, technically, I'm not spending any "new" cash but I'd be making a new "purchase" outside the restock. I won't be cranky if it turns out 1 and 4 are my options to stay in.

jim
My gut is to say you should stick with 1 or 4

I've also decided to buy myself a 12 year old single malt (one year for every month of the sabbatical). If I make it through, I will pull the cork and celebrate. If I don't, I'll give it away and hang my head in shame.
Love this idea!

I was in London over the weekend and made sure to stay away from any streets that shaving goods are sold on.
London would be a very dangerous one. My last trip there would have put me out. TWICE

I need a rule call.
I’d concur with the current consensus. 1 & 4 are in the clear. 2 & 3 would constitute purchases executed outside of the restock and void restraint. I’d hate to sit on store credit for 11.5 months, the refund wouldn’t hurt my feelings, but I’d probably be posting that up as trade bait. Any pics?

L
I’d concur with the current consensus. 1 & 4 are in the clear. 2 & 3 would constitute purchases executed outside of the restock and void restraint. I’d hate to sit on store credit for 11.5 months, the refund wouldn’t hurt my feelings, but I’d probably be posting that up as trade bait. Any pics?

Just a stock NiB Semogue 2000. Amazon and WCS have the pics.

Would buying a shave related gift for someone else put you out?

Fair question. Looking at the rules, this is falls into that ubiquitous grey, shadowy area.

"The fine print on the grey areas: ........ Since we're all gentlemen here, we leave it up to you to decide if PIF purchases for others count as purchases."

"Gifts you receive are also dicey. Because these and other fuzzy areas may pop up, let's agree to be gentlemanly in our appraisal of still in or knocked out. In other words, you're in until you say "I'm out" and you're out if you spent money! If you buy something, announce what you bought so we can get our vicarious thrills at your expense and strike you from the list in an exciting chapter of our ongoing storyline."

So it comes down to how you feel about it. Do you feel it is good as you are not spending money on yourself, or shaving items are shaving items and you are out.

My opinion would be that if you are not going to be getting any sort of shaving items from this transaction, you are still in.

Are you making a kit for a potential new DE/SE shaver?

.....So it comes down to how you feel about it. Do you feel it is good as you are not spending money on yourself, or shaving items are shaving items and you are out.

My opinion would be that if you are not going to be getting any sort of shaving items from this transaction, you are still in.

Are you making a kit for a potential new DE/SE shaver?

My thought process is that the sabbatical's purpose is to enjoy and use up what shave supplies one currently has in stock and that one is vowing not to spend any money on shave supplies that would add to that stock putting the buyer in a position of having to use up even more stock than before. If I'm buying a gift for someone else, I'm not adding to my stock but instead, adding it to his stock for him to use. I won't be benefitting from the purchase or the use. (So I think I could do it and still be in.)

I half-turned my brother into a traditional shaver. He uses a DE razor with canned lather. I got him a Tech head which he has been using as a daily shaver and a SLAB head which he uses only sometimes because he said it's too aggressive for him to use daily. I'd like to get him one of those double open comb heads from AliExpress because I love it, I think it's a smooth and effective shaver and it would be a nice fit for him because I think it's a more effective head than the Tech but it is less aggressive than the SLAB head.

Top Bottom