What's new

2019 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Maltese Falcon Razor

Damaged gear that can only be replaced because there is not a suitable replacement can be replaced without burning your exception.

I've also decided to buy myself a 12 year old single malt (one year for every month of the sabbatical). If I make it through, I will pull the cork and celebrate. If I don't, I'll give it away and hang my head in shame.

Stay strong...

Love this idea! Something to buy with all this extra money we should have. Something to stare at as a reward. Something tangible to work towards and reward yourself with!

we should do a one soap one year challenge, lets really get nuts

A few years ago there was a one soap brand challenge. I entered with a puck of DRH Marlborough because I had had another puck and I figured I could make both last the entire year. To make things a bit more interesting I was also in the sabbatical. What I found out was it took me 428 shaves to finish the DRH Marlborough. I think being in the sabbatical does not preclude you from joining other groups... Although the buy a new soap friday group might not be reccomended. :001_unsur

I have about 14 Haslinger pucks and could do it. Would have to be different scents though. I love Haslinger so much I think I could get through it, but I’d feel guilt about so many friends left behind.

Welp, broke my Captain's Choice Shave Bowl last night. Now rather than finding a backup or god forbid Face lather (something I have only done most of my life) I got a Captain's Choice Copper one.
I probably had enough soaps, razors brushes and blades to get me through 6-8 years.
And I had just sold a Therry Issard SR which more than covered the cost of it so financially I am way ahead.. But Rules be Rules.

Therefore, I am out.

You may not be as out as you seem to think you are.
Agreed. I don’t believe you are out....
proxy.php

Well..., it has been decided then. You have bowls around you, you are out.

"Her voice was queer as the expression on her face. "You did that, Sharp, to her?"
He nodded. "Your Sharp's a detective." He looked sharply at her. He put his arm around her waist, his hand on her hip. "I did kill Captain's Choice, angel," he said gently, "offhand, like that." He snapped the fingers of his other hand.
Therry escaped from his arm as if it had hurt her. "Don't, please, don't touch me," she said brokenly. "I know--I know you're right. You're right. But don't touch me now--not now."
Sharp's face became pale as his collar.
The corridor-door's knob rattled. Therry turned quickly and went into the outer office, shutting the door behind her. When she came in again she shut it behind her.
She said in a small flat voice: "Copper is here."
Sharp, looking down at his desk, nodded almost imperceptibly. "Yes," he said, and shivered. "Well, send her in."

Last edited:
we should do a one soap one year challenge, lets really get nuts

I assume that means you use one type of soap for a year! I cannot fathom why I would even want to do that. I would rather use 1 razor and blade brand for a year, and I've already used 3 different types of razors this week. :)

Welp, broke my Captain's Choice Shave Bowl last night. Now rather than finding a backup or god forbid Face lather (something I have only done most of my life) I got a Captain's Choice Copper one.
I probably had enough soaps, razors brushes and blades to get me through 6-8 years.
And I had just sold a Therry Issard SR which more than covered the cost of it so financially I am way ahead.. But Rules be Rules.

Therefore, I am out.

I would have done the same. Been using my captains choice bowl everyday for 4 years. I love the ridges, really helps whip up a thick lather. I wouldn't want to switch to a cereal bowl.

Last edited:
I believe the call is going to be up to him on whether he wants to stay in. I cobbled things together in the beginning, but once I bought a scuttle, it changed everything. Hopefully he will chime in.

Emwolf: Nick Danger, 3rd eye. So many great quotes in that script.

Phone rings:
Nick: "Nick Danger, 3rd eye"
caller: "I'd like to order a pizza to go with no anchovies."
Nick: "No anchovies? You've got the wrong man. I spell my name DANGER"
caller: "what?"

Last edited:
If the consensus is that because I broke the bowl I can replace my exception with this replacement copper bowl then I will take that and not get the charcoal Goods razor if my number comes up as my exception. .

But if people think that I should be out than I except my fate. I do have bowls in the house but I like my ridges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I had just sold a Therry Issard SR which more than covered the cost of it so financially I am way ahead.. But Rules be Rules. Therefore, I am out.

It is as stated previously; "If a shaving item breaks in restraint and you have no backup handy, one replacement may be purchased as a exception (example if the knot comes out of your brush when traveling, a cheap brush or superglue to fix broken brush is deemed acceptable in the 2019 restraint)"

So you are still in as far as the rules go. Are you okay with that?

It is as stated previously; "If a shaving item breaks in restraint and you have no backup handy, one replacement may be purchased as a exception (example if the knot comes out of your brush when traveling, a cheap brush or superglue to fix broken brush is deemed acceptable in the 2019 restraint)"

I consider that official then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember, unless otherwise stated, replacing a scuttle with a cereal bowl is not a replacement any more than using your wife's blush brush(risking your life) to create lather upon the demise of your shaving brush.

Still in. I've been doing a lot of window shopping, but no purchases. I've also been keeping a journal listing all the stuff I want along with notes on why I don't need it.

I've also decided to buy myself a 12 year old single malt (one year for every month of the sabbatical). If I make it through, I will pull the cork and celebrate. If I don't, I'll give it away and hang my head in shame.

Stay strong...
I decided to buy a 12 year old single malt today (Old Pulteney) and also decided to drink it now.

Therefore, I am out.
As a couple others mentioned--if you have other bowls or mugs around that you can suitably use to whip up a lather, then you may be out (I have 3 mugs, a bowl with ridges, and a scuttle so I wouldn't have to steal a mug or bowl from the kitchen). At the end of the day, though, it's a gentleman honor as to if he's out or not!

Remember, unless otherwise stated, replacing a scuttle with a cereal bowl is not a replacement any more than using your wife's blush brush(risking your life) to create lather upon the demise of your shaving brush.
Where Angels fear to tread...:behead: Though I must say my bride filled my Dopp kit for me to drop by my Dad’s house tomorrow and she easily identified all the stuff needed. I even forgot to ask her for a brush but she caught it and wonderfully asked “if I am not packing the bowl, do you want Chubby 2?...now how can you complain about that. However, if I did sub one of her brushes for mine?...Dismemberment...

@Sharp's your still in!

Last edited:
As a couple others mentioned--if you have other bowls or mugs around that you can suitably use to whip up a lather, then you may be out (I have 3 mugs, a bowl with ridges, and a scuttle so I wouldn't have to steal a mug or bowl from the kitchen). At the end of the day, though, it's a gentleman honor as to if he's out or not!

pretty sure that covers it.

Top Bottom