What's new

2019 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Maltese Falcon Razor

I am by no means an authoritative source... but I interpretet the sabbatical as no purchases. In recent years I make about 10 week long trips for work. I would solve the problem by a) checking a bag with my DE stuff in it, b) carry on with a cartridge razor (that TSA is happy with) or c) checking a straight and hoping it makes it. I have also had a few 1 day trips where I decide shaving is not really possible. I have not done it but if you know your schedule in advance it may be possible to mail a blade(s) to the yourself care of the hotel.

So the key would be picking up "travel gear" or being diligent about mailing stuff to your destination. If you travel alot supply chain management will be something you need to consider.

With a bit of advanced planing it is quite possible to work within the restrictions and have some fun.

Ruckin.

I'm not required to be clean shaven at work, it's a matter of personal preference. I've gone Don-Johnson-fuzzy-look for a week before and the world didn't stop revolving.

Mailing blades to the hotel seems like a viable option. I recently mailed unused blades back home, and it was fine.
Thank you @ruckin for offering the solution.

I’ll be flying to London early December and not sure what I’ll do regarding shaves.
I don’t have any disposables and can’t fly with blades obviously. It’s just a long weekend so it’ll be carry on.
I could go hairy for the few days I suppose.

I’ll be flying to London early December and not sure what I’ll do regarding shaves.
I don’t have any disposables and can’t fly with blades obviously. It’s just a long weekend so it’ll be carry on.
I could go hairy for the few days I suppose.

I have a few disposables I could mail you. Let me know. No need to go out in December over it.

I am still torn on whether I am going to join next year. I have enjoyed the low hassle of not shopping for shaving stuff, but there are a few seasonal scents I think I want to pick up and I do like the Bingle Buddy gift exchange. I recognize that every soap scent I am thinking of getting is strongly in the want as I need absolutely nothing.

At the end of the year, I am thinking of picking up a RR Hawk and am also curious about the SLOC and the gamechanger .86 but am not sure if I would want the straight bar, the oc, or the jaws. I am also torn on this as I recognize that one of my favorite parts of this year has been getting to know what I have. It also feels strange to be thinking about a purchase when I committed to not purchase anything. It almost feels like if I decide on something now, I have broken the sabbatical in spirit.

Also,
the only thing I'm going to pick up during restock is a 100 of Nacets

Based on your post I am not sure if you have tried the Nacets before. If you haven't, I could send you a tuck to try out before getting 100 if you are interested. Just PM me.

Haven't checked in in a long time. Still in. Will be doing it again next year. Haven't thought about what I'll get during the down days, but if argrumes is in stock at Maggards that may be next year's summer soap.

Dear all,
I am new to the forum, so hello to everyone in first instance.
I have made my way through this thread. It took my quite a while but it was great fun. It finally gave me reason to sign up.

@Pepin great writeup, Sir!

Pls count me in for 2020!

Being based in Germany Englisch is Not my mother language (I am sure you already noticed that) so appollogies for any grammar-wise defaults. :facep:

Last edited:
Dear all,
I have made my way through this entire thread. It took my quite a while but it was great fun. It finally gave me reason to sign up.

Being based in Germany English is Not my mother language (I am sure you already noticed that) so apologies for any grammar-wise defaults. :facep:

When I travel, it's usually remote, and due to the nature of my work, involves hauling a bunch of gear and equipment, so there's always at least one checked bag..no issues with my minimal "travel" kit.
Still in, knocked off another bottle of AS splash, my one and only bottle of Layrite #9. It's surprisingly hard to find in Canada, but a warm, darkish gently cloved Bay Rum. I'll definitely be looking for something similar during the restock to replace it.

Aftershave - 12
Soap - 3
Frag - 2

1574115299407.png

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Dear all,
I have made my way through this entire thread. It took my quite a while but it was great fun. It finally gave me reason to sign up.

Being based in Germany English is Not my mother language (I am sure you already noticed that) so apologies for any grammar-wise defaults. :facep:
Welcome!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

During one of the restocks a few years ago, I picked up my "TSA" stash of twin blade disposables for when I'm carry-on only. I pack two for the week and usually only use up one. I've got a WD synth since they dry so quick and a screw tube of Arko. If I go Southwest or have other reason to check stuff, then in goes my Gillette Tech and Astras. I could pack my straights, but I don't want them to undergo the indignity of a strip search.

I have made my way through this thread. It took my quite a while but it was great fun. It finally gave me reason to sign up
Welcome to B&B.
There will be a new thread for next year called "2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical". It will be posted sometime in December so sign up then. Sounds like you are well down the rabbit hole. :biggrin1:

I’m gonna go ahead and make the bold prediction that we won’t lose anyone else before this sabbatical ends.....
Go ahead. Prove me wrong

I’m gonna go ahead and make the bold prediction that we won’t lose anyone else before this sabbatical ends.....
Go ahead. Prove me wrong

Last year ended with 34 of 78 being successful. Looks like we will beat the mark but it took us over 100 at the start to get there.

Top Bottom