What's new

2019 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Maltese Falcon Razor

After I see this sabbatical through to the end, my next one is going to be at least a year away from the B&B. This forum has evolved into a giant bragfest of how much stuff I have, gone are discussions on achieving better shaves but sermons on how to buy one.

I like you

After I see this sabbatical through to the end, my next one is going to be at least a year away from the B&B. This forum has evolved into a giant bragfest of how much stuff I have, gone are discussions on achieving better shaves but sermons on how to buy one.
No argument here, but that makes the restraint even more interesting. Keeping a stiff upper lip, as it were.

1573375295150.png

Like any forum, the content is all member driven. The only way to change the direction threads and content are heading is to post and encourage posts/threads that are the kind you'd like to see more of. I still see lots of threads (especially from those new/newer) asking questions on how to get better shaves. If the advice being given them is more about things to buy above what they already have, post counter point advice on how to use the kit they own more effectively. :)

Like any forum, the content is all member-driven. The only way to change the direction threads and content is heading is to post and encourage posts/threads that are the kind you'd like to see more of. I still see lots of threads (especially from those new/newer) asking questions on how to get better shaves. If the advice being given them is more about things to buy above what they already have, post counterpoint advice on how to use the kit they own more effectively. :)

+1

Like any forum, the content is all member driven. The only way to change the direction threads and content are heading is to post and encourage posts/threads that are the kind you'd like to see more of. I still see lots of threads (especially from those new/newer) asking questions on how to get better shaves. If the advice being given them is more about things to buy above what they already have, post counter point advice on how to use the kit they own more effectively. :)

+2

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Even I have a few ideas of a couple things to pick up. I can't recall the last time I bought anything, but I am starting to get a bit low on AS now.

October 30th Operative No. 52 Spookmeister: Exception Christopher Bradley razor - OUT (extra base-plate purchase)

"Hey, you! Spookmeister!" a loud voice called out. Operative Spookmeister stopped and turned around. Down the corridor of the railway station he spotted the tall heavily built figure of sgt. Hoscombe beckoning to him. He approached the plainclothes officer wondering what was up. Hoscombe took the cigar he had been smoking out of his mouth, "I've known you for sometimes, and have always considered you a above board investigator, so it puzzled me why you got involved with Spade and this crazy client of his, and ... " Spookmiester put up his hand, "Whoa there, sarge, I respect your thoughts, but I know what I am doing. This will be the big one for me." Hoscombe stuck the cigar back into the corner of his mouth and chewed on it as he stared at Spookmeister with a scowl. "You may think so, but I am the one who has to keep explaining all these deaths and disappearances to the Commissioner. What are you guys up to? sixty something gone, poof!." Operative Spookmeister just starred at Hoscombe. Finally he said "So what's up? You just busting me, or ya got something useful?" Hoscombe pulled the well chewed cigar out of his mouth and stared at it for a few seconds, 'Ya, well it looks like there is a new barbershop that this Kasper Gutman's boys have been hanging around. A place called Karve's. Odd name if you ask me. Any way trying snooping there, may get a good lead." With that he pulled his hat down, stuck the cigar back in his mouth and strode off. Operative Spookmeister stood there looking at the back of the figure disappearing in the distance.

Spookmeister eased the coupe into a parking spot down the street from the barbershop. Looking through the windscreen he observed the shop. It was decorated on the outside with fancy wooden trim, brick and stucco, it reminded Spookmeister of the pictures he had seen of shops in London England. As he watched customers as they entered, and a short time later left, no one he recognized. Then he clutched at the wheel, Joel Cairo paused outside the door, looked about him and then stepped inside. Spookmeister counted the minutes, .. it felt like an eternity until Joel Cairo left; a sly grin on his face. This is it he thought, time to go and see what I can unearth. Operative Spookmeister got out of his car and walked up to the shop. The name "Karve's" was emblazoned in gold script, olde English he thought. With decor the name gave an eerie feel to the place.

The door swung open silently on well-oiled hinges. Spookmeister stepped in and looked around the shop, rich decor was everywhere, and slim figure with slicked back hair waved him towards the barber's chair, "Welcome good sir, shave and haircut?" Spookmeister glanced around, the scent of talcum powder, lime and vetiver strong; "yes, that will be fine. I mean I don't wish to bump any other appointment that you have made." "Not at all sir, if fact we have had a cancellation, so it is perfect timing." Spookmeister looked around again, seeing no one else he took the chair. Suddenly he was sliding back as the man reclined the chair, an oily face stared down on him, "Hot towel?" "Yes, that will be fine. The hot steaming towel was wrapped around his face, as the steam worked its magic Spookmeister began to relax, he had always enjoyed his trips to the barber. he closed his eyes, and with the mellow music in the background he began to drift off. Suddenly the towels were removed and the change in temperature brought Spookmeister to his senses. He looked around, remembering his goal of finding out what was going on with this Joel Cairo character. The barber began to work the warm lather on to his face, humming a strange tune. As he paused, Spookmeister raised his hand, "I was wondering, how well do you know the gentleman that was here just before I came in?" The man stared down at him, brush in hand, "Just before you, hmmmm let me think was there someone? ........ Oh yes, you mean the well dressed and gentleman. I remember him now. No, I do not know him, he comes here on an irregular bases. You see I supply him with some imported colognes and other shaving items. He is very particular about the products he uses." Spookmeister let that sink in, and thought about his next step, "Oh, alright. he seemed familiar to me, but I could not put a name to the face. Thought he may be a regular." A silence enveloped the shop, one that gave Spookmeister the shivers. Now he wanted out, not lying under a sheet, like a sacrificial lamb. Then suddenly the chair was spun around, the mirror disappeared from view, then he saw the back wall, shelves of stock with photographs of Greek ruins scattered about them. Then an odd warm hand gripped the side of his face and he again saw the oily face peering down at him, an sly grin forming on hi slips. "We will pass on your regrets to Mr. Spade." Then a glint in the light as the razor came down in a wide slash, then again and again. Spookmeister slid out of the chair, his face and neck carved up into several pieces.

Joel Cairo reached up to the shades and pulled them down. Then he locked the front door, and turned the sign to read Back in 15 minutes. "Quick Sweeney, lets dump him in an empty laundry basket. I will get rid of his car." He dug in Spookmeisters pockets for the keys, as the barber dragged the corpse to the back room.

Still in and I vote for the car rally theme.

I think outside of a new puck of Tabac, the only thing I'm going to pick up during restock is a 100 of Nacets. I'm still looking for the right blade for my Mamba, which so far I've only had a decent shave with Rapira lux blades, which are okay, I guess. Otherwise it's been a weeper / irritation fest.

All in for a rally car theme...I've been a die hard Subie guy for years now.
As far as this year...still in, gonna see it to the end. I'm actually not that excited about the restock window, although I'm definitely not going to last another without doing so. My stockpile is comfortable, but not longer "fat".
Finally made it through my tub of Maca Root cream and started on a Stirling Gatlinburg; this will definitely hold me through the upcoming year...my tally with 49 days left:

Aftershave - 11
Soap - 3
Frag - 2

In till the bitter end!

Fellas,

I think I’m still in, and I want to be in. But I need to finish out the year with a clear conscience, so tell me what you think.

Recently my name came up for trying the Rex Ambassador during it’s US tour. I didn’t think about it until it was over, but I shipped the razor on to the next name on the list and incurred shipping charges for doing so.

I feel like I’m still in as I didn’t really make a shaving purchase, merely paying shipping as I would have done with a PIF or trade or sale. Am I within the rules here?

John

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Fellas,

I think I’m still in, and I want to be in. But I need to finish out the year with a clear conscience, so tell me what you think.

Recently my name came up for trying the Rex Ambassador during it’s US tour. I didn’t think about it until it was over, but I shipped the razor on to the next name on the list and incurred shipping charges for doing so.

I feel like I’m still in as I didn’t really make a shaving purchase, merely paying shipping as I would have done with a PIF or trade or sale. Am I within the rules here?

John
Passaround is allowed

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom