What's new

2019 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Maltese Falcon Razor

upload_2019-9-13_9-46-54.png

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
This is my second annual restraint, having done the last one year before last. I am very glad I am taking the time off.

I tend to research things to death before making purchases. Oftentimes, I'll change my mind months after beginning research, due to new information.

Currently quite happy with a PAA Ascension in stainless steel. I have tried a boatload of razors and have found nothing that can equal the comfort and efficiency of this. CG/Wolfman are the only things that I have not tried that would likely be close, but these are just too hard to obtain.

A number of new razors have come out the piqued my interest. Haircut & Shave and Carbon Shaving looked like great razors, and I would have bought them but for the restraint. Then, I heard about the Stirling Dragon razor, and read a number of incredible reviews of the prototype. Now I am glad I had the restraint to keep me from buying HS/CS.

Same with soaps and creams. I am nearly out of soaps and creams, and have a number I would have bought. I also have eczema on my hands. I had all but given up ridding myself of the eczema, when, based off another thread I posted on B&B, I tried a cleasning oil for my body wash rather than a solid or liquid soap. You see, modern "soap" is actually detergent, and in my case contributed to my eczema. Within a couple days of using the oil cleanser in the shower, my eczema had all but disappeared.

This is relevant because it led me to completely revamp my purchase list. Now, when the new year gets here, I plan to buy some shave oils.

Point is that if it had not been for the restraint, I would have bought a whole lot of product that I ultimately would not have liked.

Still in. Found the bottom of my NO Barrbarr soap today. Plan to finish this and move on to B&M first snow. The only thing that will keep me from 3017ing that as well will be if it lasts past thanksgiving in which case I am obligated to switch to Stirling's Christmas Eve.

I am fairly sure I can make it to the end of the year. I have been compiling a list of things I want to buy when this is over and for most of the year have been watching it grow (and grow, and grow, and grow) but after moving and having to touch every one of my soaps, aftershaves, handles, and blades I have started crossing some out and altering my priorities and the list is shrinking rather quickly.

I am torn on whether I plan to do another year of the sabbatical as I do have a few things I still want to try (I have only been using traditional shaving products for just shy of 2 years now) and might want the freedom to buy when things are cheap. I think this has been a great experience for me so far and has really made me stop and think before buying stuff.

Good work gentleman and good luck through the coming season of temptation.

Still in. I've decided that I'm going to use my Derby puck soap till it's gone (it's now a thin ring), and if I'm in again next year, I have to get another tub of that soap, it works very well and is super cheap! Much better than the Wilkinson tub. I'll also have to get a refill of Tabac. Blade wise I think I'm good for a decade, and I don't think I'll need a new razor or brush, though who knows when the restock time comes up... :D

I need to pick up some straight razor maint items. .5"x3"x36" balsa and 3 3x12 tiles. Maybe a backup puck of Tabac.

I was thinking of going out at the 6 month mark and picking up the balsa... but then I was getting pretty good if not perfect shaves, so WTH, I stayed in. I've found the bottom of the SR rabbit hole (for me) and had no motivation to dig deeper.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Well shucks I am out of commission for the next couple days...I had my appendix out this weekend.

Who knows some jokes?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Well shucks I am out of commission for the next couple days...I had my appendix out this weekend.

Who knows some jokes?

CzechCzar: Doctor, will I be able to play the piano after you remove my appendix?
Doctor: Absolutely!
CzechCzar: That's strange, I could never play piano before!

Who knows some jokes?

Dr.: I have some bad news.
You: Worse than about my appendix?
Dr.: Yes! You won't be able to shave for a while as well. :)

Hope your recovery goes well and is speedy.

My stash may have just gotten a lot longer. I’ve had a goatee before, but for most of my life I’ve been clean shaven. This week I decided I ought to see how I look with a beard and it turns out that it looks good on me and I get lots of compliments. I’m still shaving my neck (not going all grizzly adams with the neck beard), but that hardly uses any soap and I’m sure blade life went way up.

We’ll see if I’m still sporting a beard a month from now or if I tire of it. But if it’s still there I may not need anything new for 5+ years!

My stash may have just gotten a lot longer. I’ve had a goatee before, but for most of my life I’ve been clean shaven. This week I decided I ought to see how I look with a beard and it turns out that it looks good on me and I get lots of compliments. I’m still shaving my neck (not going all grizzly adams with the neck beard), but that hardly uses any soap and I’m sure blade life went way up.

We’ll see if I’m still sporting a beard a month from now or if I tire of it. But if it’s still there I may not need anything new for 5+ years!
Well, nothing new other than beard oil, a beard brush to keep it from being unruly, possibly beard wash.. then there's the mustache wax to keep that in check and neatly groomed. ;)

I don't understand...this beard thing you talk about. That's what you shave off every day or two right?
giphy huh.gif

Top Bottom