What's new

2019 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Maltese Falcon Razor

Excellent, do let us know what you think.

MdC was the soap that finally drove home the sad sad realization that I just don't tolerate lavander well. I am glad to have found the soap a new home.
Super generous! Hope @Brian C. enjoys it! Stay strong team, we are more than two thirds of the way there!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
The 2018 GRU final tally was 34 in/44 out if I read it right. We seem to be roughly at the same point the 2018 GRU finished with but with 4 months to go (approx).

Stay strong folks. Those holiday sales will be tough. Smallflower and WCS have been hitting me hard. I've got to delete them out of my inbox before I follow any links.

Honestly, I find the number of folks still going out a bit surprising. I can understand people who joined but were uncertain if they'd be able to make it, dropping out in the first couple months. But now we are almost 3/4 into it. The finish line in in sight!

Honestly, I find the number of folks still going out a bit surprising. I can understand people who joined but were uncertain if they'd be able to make it, dropping out in the first couple months. But now we are almost 3/4 into it. The finish line in in sight!
Well, there was a bit of a recruitment drive on leading into this year's GRU... I suspect there were probably a number of people who joined up without having a hardcore commitment to seeing it through. I certainly don't look down on anyone who did. But that might play into it a bit.

Still in here, won't manage to finish of more than one more chunk of soap by the end of the year (I figure at least another couple months on that sandalwood one). Only temptation so far is a coticule, and that will wait until later, I hardly need any more honing stuff, I don't use everything I already have.

Reminds me, it's cool enough to work in the woodshop again, I need to sharpen a pile of plane irons and chisels soon.

Martin de Candre Original
Merkur 37c
Astra SP (5th shave)
WCS Pure Badger
QShave scuttle
The Veg

I had my first shave this morning with MdC. All I can say is, I get it. Once I got the lather right, it provided an excellent shave. Excellent cushion, slickness and beautiful, thick lather. I even dusted off my scuttle to lather it with. I will try face lathering and puck loading tomorrow. It is a lot different lather than all of my tallow soaps and my glycerin soaps. The post shave was definitely not drying like most of my other soaps which I usually prefer. I will see how my face and head are when I get up this afternoon. I plan to use it for at least 2 weeks to get a really good feel for it and form my opinion on whether it is worth the price to me. I can say that based on my first shave, I am leaning towards it being worth it.

proxy.php

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

#57 still in. A little less than 4 months to go...no problems in sight. Shockingly my puck of Pdp No 63 is showing very little wear after four months of use. It's going to be a long haul to 3017 it, but thankfully it performs very well and has a nice scent to boot.

#57 still in. A little less than 4 months to go...no problems in sight. Shockingly my puck of Pdp No 63 is showing very little wear after four months of use. It's going to be a long haul to 3017 it, but thankfully it performs very well and has a nice scent to boot.

Maybe the PDP 63 stamp will wear off by the end of the year at least right?!

I can relate to a longer term project.. Today was shave 201 of my brick of Vitos extra coco. I smooshed about 253 grams or so into a container and am about a day or two from finishing the container. Later this week when I empty the container I will fill the tub again (and again...). The brick started out somewhat over 800 grams so I will be working on this 3017 project for awhile. An interesting side effect is that as I really get to know this soap I seem to be loading less now than when I started. I am not complaining as that means I just have more awesome shaves to look forward to.

Someday I will get to my tin of PDP and it sounds like I will have a bunch of great lathers there as well.

Ruckin - still in and it looks like I wont need to buy any soap before 2036 or so...

Maybe the PDP 63 stamp will wear off by the end of the year at least right?!

The stamp is gone - that took about a month to erase. So there is some noticeable progress. I also added some water to the puck early on, ala soaking MWF, so it may have increased slightly in volume after that. It doesn't help that I only shave about three times a week now, so that's cutting into soap usage. For instance, today I'm sporting two days worth of stubble - I could shave, but I'm working from home. After about four years the novelty of shaving any time I had the chance sort of wore off :).

Martin de Candre Original
Merkur 37c
Astra SP (5th shave)
WCS Pure Badger
QShave scuttle
The Veg

It had crossed my mind that whoever got the MdC might not care for the medicinal lavander scent; I don't. Fortunately, a Knight of the Veg Table was chosen. Those guys are rumored to not even have a sense of smell.

#48 still in and no temptation at all. The finish line is in sight, looks like I will be doing it for the second year in a row...

It had crossed my mind that whoever got the MdC might not care for the medicinal lavander scent; I don't. Fortunately, a Knight of the Veg Table was chosen. Those guys are rumored to not even have a sense of smell.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

This is not my first lavender soap and probably won’t be my last. There’s just something about it. I even have lavender infused WH to go with it and The Veg. I work in a place that makes lotions, shampoos, body washes and the like, so not much is stronger than the raw fragrance before it goes in the formula. Lol.

#52 just bought a Christopher Bradley solid bar d plate with 3" handle sooo... Still in.

It was my exception and really wasn't planning on getting it but a couple rum and cokes later and boom ordered. I hope it lives up to the hype.

I'll post pics when it arrives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

You’ve just gone and jinxed yourself.
I don't think so, It's my third consecutive year and I know how it goes. I still have a drawer with too many blades and soaps to try, and I'm happy with my razors and brushes. When I'm bored I can use a straight edge razor for a few days, then my DE razor feels like a new toy again :)

Top Bottom