What's new

Bear Gun

Ok guys, I sold my .357 a few years back now am in search of a pistol for backwoods camping and for now hunting. Ie bear defense.

I have heard the Glock 20 in 10mm is fine for this.

Where I bow hunt there is plenty of black bears around.

I live in Va and will not have to mess with browns or grizzlies.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Same here, I bow hunt in an area with a large black bear population. Unfortunately carrying a gun in Greece is not that easy so I carry a loud horn and a large canister of bear spray (also illegal in Greece). I would feel much better with a Smith&Wesson 460V.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Someone in here, I forget who, said they have been loading a 200gr. lead cast in 10MM that was getting close to 1000 fps. That would definitely be the ticket for bear. How many does a G20 hold?

I believe 15 rounds for 20.

I have a 9mm. But that us not going to do much on a black bear.

Also thinking maybe a Ruger 44

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Since you are considering a Ruger .44 mag. I'm guessing a lightweight one is not a requirement. Between a .44 mag. and 10mm I'd go with the .44. With some 340 grain Buffalo Bore ammo the .44 will put the 10mm to shame.

Realdog4 got charged by a black bear a few years ago and was able to beat it off with a stick, thank goodness. He ended up with a Redhawk .44 mag.

As I'm sure you are aware, recommendations will be all over the map here. There have been several "bear gun" threads. Here's a few if you'd like to peruse them.

Just thought I would post some people pics of the Ruger I bought last month

Trail / Camping / Backpacking pistols.

Recommendations for a durable and powerful handgun for backpacking

Shotgun or Pistol for Bear Defense

Also a can of OC bear spray would be good to carry in addition to the handgun, but if It's raining or the wind is blowing the OC spray may be worthless.

Last edited:
Old standby is a 4-6" 44. My preferred is a 41 Mag, 4 5/8" Blackhawk, a bit lighter to carry and almost the same power as the 44. Stout 357 loads are probably the least I would carry for brown/black bear. Grizzly I would carry the biggest boom I could pack.

I would personally avoid the autoloaders, unless you step up to something like 50AE you are giving up a lot of power.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Old standby is a 4-6" 44. My preferred is a 41 Mag, 4 5/8" Blackhawk, a bit lighter to carry and almost the same power as the 44. Stout 357 loads are probably the least I would carry for brown/black bear. Grizzly I would carry the biggest boom I could pack.

I like the .41 mag. also. I have a Blackhawk .41 on the old 3 screw .357 frame but mine has a 6 1/2 inch barrel. the 4 5/8 inch one would be good. I bought mine used in the early '70s for $75, so it's what I have. That's the one I'd carry in black bear country, but I reload so ammo availability is not a problem. I can't see buying a new .44 mag. when I already have the .41. But if someone was going to have to buy a new one the .44 would have better ammo availability. I don't remember the last time I saw .41 mag. ammo on the store shelves.

I like the .41 mag. also. I have a Blackhawk .41 on the old 3 screw .357 frame but mine has a 6 1/2 inch barrel. the 4 5/8 inch one would be good. I bought mine used in the early '70s for $75, so it's what I have. That's the one I'd carry in black bear country, but I reload so ammo availability is not a problem. I can't see buying a new .44 mag. when I already have the .41. But if someone was going to have to buy a new one the .44 would have better ammo availability. I don't remember the last time I saw .41 mag. ammo on the store shelves.

I kept a couple different 41 loads on the shelf at my last store. You are right, not a lot of factory loads available. I always encourage customers with somewhat odd cartridges to stock up when ever possible.

I have a couple of 44 mag's plus a rifle but they are big and heavy, 6 and 7 3/8 " versions of the M29, and a Marlin 1894 24". If I were to be in black bear country I would carry my 3" barrel .357, or my Colt 1911 in 10mm.

For .44mag, keep the Smith Model 69 in mind. It's an L frame, so only 5 rounds, but pretty light weight at 37.4 ounces unloaded. Not bad for an all-steel gun. At gallery of guns looks like around $715 out the door from my local FFL.

Model 69 | Smith & Wesson

IMG_1006.JPG
IMG_1007.JPG
When I'm in the woods and bears are a concern, I have one or both of these....
Top-Marlin 1895...45-70 Govt.
Bottom-Smith & Wesson 429

Yea...I fear no evil when I walk through the valley.......
Oh...and a group of bears is known as a sloth..or sleuth

Last edited:
For .44mag, keep the Smith Model 69 in mind. It's an L frame, so only 5 rounds, but pretty light weight at 37.4 ounces unloaded. Not bad for an all-steel gun. At gallery of guns looks like around $715 out the door from my local FFL.

Model 69 | Smith & Wesson

Oh, and I see Smith now has a 2.75" version of this gun - 34.4 oz. Not sure if released yet as no stock anywhere, but apparently coming soon. That'd be a pretty good choice.

Comparison from Wiki:
10mm 424-768 ft lb
357 Mag 539 - 802 ft lb
41 Mag 614 - 1135 ft lb
44 Mag 741 - 1533 ft lb

Since a charging bruin is only going to get a couple shots before either he is dead or is munching on me, the 41 & 44 are easy options. Carry the hot Cor-Bon or Buffalo Bore, this isn't a range trip. No malfunctions to clear and a lot more power.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
After I took the heart out of a 350lb Black Bear at 40 yards with a .338 Lapua Magnum, 200grn Nosler Ballistic Tip @ 3500fps with a 4" exit hole, I dont mess with bears. When I was camping or fishing in bear country this went on my back with a backpack sling. Accessed and shoulder ready in under 5 seconds and I'm not sure theres a bear alive that will soak up 7 sabot slugs and keep coming. That bear mentioned above would have outrun any jackrabbit alive for 40-50 yards after being hit.

Remington 11-87 SPS-T .JPG

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I am stuck with my only true "bear killer" which just happens to be the gun I'm most comfortable with: GP100 in .357. That is until my wife,AKA the War Department, AKA the office of budgetary affairs, loosens the purse strings.....

I am stuck with my only true "bear killer" which just happens to be the gun I'm most comfortable with: GP100 in .357. That is until my wife,AKA the War Department, AKA the office of budgetary affairs, loosens the purse strings.....

lmao!

I have this in the safe...my Ruger SRH .454. Doubt it will ever see a bear but it's there.

proxy.php

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
lmao!

I have this in the safe...my Ruger SRH .454. Doubt it will ever see a bear but it's there.

proxy.php
Lane, my first true B&B friend, are you trying to get me to sin in lusting another man's, oxen, or gun, or ???? Thanks for posting that beautiful piece of sculpture!

Top Bottom