What's new

Looking for the best high quality DE safety razor? NEW

The following post has some very good advice there. Get a mild razor, closed comb that doesnt cost too much. My first double edged razor was an Edwin jagger DE89LBL that does the job perfectly, looks good and doesnt cost too much.

You are absolutely right to go with a DE. Buying new is very uncomplicated. The only issue for you is the sheer number of good razors for the job you need done.

Unless you really want to dive in the deep end, spend less than $70. For lining up your beard (I do it daily), I recommend a low profile head, so no Timeless, no Rockwell, no adjustable. Necks tend to be tender territory, so any razor known for mildness is the best bet. I started my sons out with Merkur 33 razors. If I was buying for them, for a lifetime of neck shaving and line up, I would choose one of RazoRock’s machined stainless DE razors from the Italian Barber website.

Reactions: Avi
Ages ago when I sported a beard, I used a Schick injector to keep the lines straight. Much easier to see what you're doing and the head is far more nimble than most DEs. Check out the modern razors that use the injector blade over in the SE forums. I haven't waded through the responses yet, so if someone else has suggested this then you can count this post as a thumbs-up.

Oh, and an injector magazine will probably last you for years if all you're doing is lining your beard.

Last edited:
Depends on who you are.
Personally I like the finer things in life. That's why I work hard.
I would rather take a .22 shot to the foot than shave with a cheap piece of junk and something everyone else has, for the rest of my life. There is something called Prestige of ownership. Sure you can go buy a 5 dollar Gillette on eBay and it will probably get the job done. Walmart sells a Van Der Hagen package for about 15 bucks. These razors are nothing like a Timeless Razor, or a Charcoal goods razor. I spent a lot more than 100 bucks on mine. And I would do it again.
In fact im soon to do it again when I buy my first straight razor.

"Who you are" is a strange way to put it. "What you like" or What gives you satisfaction" perhaps. When it comes to shoes and clothes, I agree - spend the money on quality and take care of what you buy. For razors, I get a fair amount of satisfaction using tools that my forebears could have used that get the job done as well or better than something I can buy new. That's why I only own 2 razors that were made in this century, one of which cost over $200 bucks and isn't even in my top ten.

I could drive my wife's Mercedes to the mailbox at the end of our lane every day, but it's much more fun to hop on my 1950 Farmall Cub to do it. Unelss it's raining, then it's the Ford Ranger with the manual wind-up windows.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I still don’t know what to pick everybody recommends different ones and i can’t decide what to choose from them.

I mostly gonna use it to lineup my beard since i always let my barber do that and wanted to start doing it myself. And like i said i never owned one before so i don’t know much about them. Open comb/closed comb/slant, adjustable/non-adjustable, mild/medium/aggressive i don’t know what to pick. I don’t have a price range, just looking for an overall good one that i keep for a long time without having to own different ones.

That's why I said to buy a Fatip Open Comb Slant. It's the best.

You don't need to know a lot. Just buy what I said to buy. Maggard has 'em right now but won't for long.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I still don’t know what to pick everybody recommends different ones and i can’t decide what to choose from them.

I mostly gonna use it to lineup my beard since i always let my barber do that and wanted to start doing it myself. And like i said i never owned one before so i don’t know much about them. Open comb/closed comb/slant, adjustable/non-adjustable, mild/medium/aggressive i don’t know what to pick. I don’t have a price range, just looking for an overall good one that i keep for a long time without having to own different ones.

I'll make this exceedingly simple. Go to Amazon, look up the Merkur 34C, and buy one for $40 shipped. It could be the only razor you ever own or it could be your jumping off point if you get hooked. Sorting through all the options and listening to the wild suggestions here will make you crazy. The Merkur 34C is the gold standard for a first DE razor. Excellent quality, excellent performance, excellent price. I make $200 razors for a living. Trust me on this one. This is the simplest and best way to go. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
I see a lot of comments on this thread pertaining to " that is all you need"...

...Why buy Feather blades when all you really need is Dorco's or Nacets for half the price?

One does not need an "upper echelon razor" to trim their beard. "Prestige of ownership" doesn't mean much here, it's a waste of money for something that is not going to be put to good use. The upper echelon stuff is really for collectors and enthusiasts, not someone who is just starting and is sporting facial hair. If he ever becomes interested in the hobby, then he should buy whatever he likes and can afford. I appreciate BlacklandRazors keeping it real, so to speak. He could push his products (which are amazing BTW), but those products come later. I doubt Blackbird was developed with a bearded guy in mind, who might use it twice a week for 60 seconds while he's trimming his facial hair.

On the Feather blade topic - no one should really buy them if Nacets are half price anyway. Because they aren't even that good.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I see a lot of comments on this thread pertaining to " that is all you need"
I wanted to see if I could clear things up a bit.
There is thread after thread here of users with really nice premium razors. Some of them costing up to 500.00.
All they really needed was a 20.00 Gillette tech off ebay. Needs and wants are two different things.
For example, why buy a house or live in a house when all you really need is a tent, cave, or lean to?
Most of us here can easily get to the grocery store on a bicycle. Who needs a car?
Speaking of cars, why buy a Porsche when all you really need is a Prius?
Why buy Feather blades when all you really need is Dorco's or Nacets for half the price?

The OP posted that he has no price limits and wants a good one, ONE, without having to buy others down the road.
In other words he wants to buy one time. What does he get? " Buy the cheapest razor you can find because that's all you need. " Don't spend too much ( over 100.00) because you can take that money with you when you die."
Please deprive yourself of a really nice upper echelon razor, ( as your first nice razor purchase) because we don't think you need that. Forget about prestige of ownership, who needs that?
According to this logic, everyone who bought a Timeless, Blackbird, Tatara, Charcoal good, Wolfman, carbon shaving, Karve, just wasted their money, because they didn't need THAT just to shave.

If I were the OP, I would purchase the finest razor I could afford that ticked my boxes. I wouldn't look back or think twice about it. Life is short.

S.A.

The problem is this: The quality of the razor and the shave you get with it does not necessarily increases as the cost of the razor increases.

While it may be true that you value your several hundred dollar razors more than you'd value a vintage Old Type that doesn't mean the expensive razors shave better nor does it mean they last longer.

It's very clear that you value prestige and pride of ownership. I'm not even remotely knocking those values nor am I knocking the razors you value. You and everyone else can buy what they like, want, value, and can afford.

I don't own nor have I used all the razors you mention but I've used some of them. In my experience with 'em I'd much rather have any of several far less expensive razors than the ones you mention (but, again, I've not used all of those razors mentioned by you).

In my view the Fatip Open Comb Slant is the best of the many double edged razors I've used, and not by a little bit. It's made of real metal, it's good looking, it is quite efficient, it's easy to shave with, it's not prone to biting me. The fact that it is also inexpensive is a bonus, and not a feature.

I'll admit to only having used about a hundred double edged razors so my experience is minimal.

To the OP: Please don't think paying more will get you a razor you like more. It might. It might not.

My first double edged razor (the first since college decades ago) turned out to be a very bad mistake for me. It was expensive, beautifully made, extremely durable, and handsome. It is perhaps the worst - for me - shaving DE razor I've used.

One of the best DE razors for me is an old, vintage, ugly Gillette Old Type, but I like the Fatip OC Slant even more.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
The problem is this: The quality of the razor and the shave you get with it does not necessarily increases as the cost of the razor increases.

While it may be true that you value your several hundred dollar razors more than you'd value a vintage Old Type that doesn't mean the expensive razors shave better nor does it mean they last longer.

It's very clear that you value prestige and pride of ownership. I'm not even remotely knocking those values nor am I knocking the razors you value. You and everyone else can buy what they like, want, value, and can afford.

I don't own nor have I used all the razors you mention but I've used some of them. In my experience with 'em I'd much rather have any of several far less expensive razors than the ones you mention (but, again, I've not used all of those razors mentioned by you).

In my view the Fatip Open Comb Slant is the best of the many double edged razors I've used, and not by a little bit. It's made of real metal, it's good looking, it is quite efficient, it's easy to shave with, it's not prone to biting me. The fact that it is also inexpensive is a bonus, and not a feature.

I'll admit to only having used about a hundred double edged razors so my experience is minimal.

To the OP: Please don't think paying more will get you a razor you like more. It might. It might not.

My first double edged razor (the first since college decades ago) turned out to be a very bad mistake for me. It was expensive, beautifully made, extremely durable, and handsome. It is perhaps the worst - for me - shaving DE razor I've used.

One of the best DE razors for me is an old, vintage, ugly Gillette Old Type, but I like the Fatip OC Slant even more.

Happy shaves,

Jim
The Fatip Lo Storto is an amazing razor. It is not only blade rigid like Fatip's other OC razors, the added torque of the slant head makes it even more so. This translates into an even more smooth shaver. I hear Mike go on about his MMOC and how smooth and rigid it is because of the thickness of single edge blades. I would bet this is one DE razor that can absolutely compete and equal Mike's @Esox beloved razor.

Last edited:
I would recommend going cheap on the first one just to get a feel for a DE and if it will work for your intended use. Go to Dollar Tree and get an Assured or whatever brand DE they have for $1 plus tax and that includes the blades that come with the razor and if you are a big spender buy another tuck of rebranded Dorco Dollar Tree blades for $1. Spend a week using it to establish your baseline then come back and ask for suggestions after describing how the dollar tree special works for you.

The corallary is you don't buy a Lexus or some high end brand car when you first learn how to drive. You buy a cheap beater while you are learning the skill then trade up once you are sufficiently proficient.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Exactly you are paying for eye candy which has nothing to do with how the tool works. That is all determined in the shave head geometry which is not a price dependent part of the manufacturing process.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The Fatip Lo Storto is an amazing razor. It is not only blade rigid like Fatip's other OC razors, the added torque of the slant head makes it even more so. This translates into an even more smooth shaver. I hear Mike go on about his MMOC and how smooth and rigid it is because of the thickness of single edge blades. I would bet this is one DE razor that can absolutely compete and equal Mike's @Esox beloved razor.

6-2-20.Vitos.Chubby2.FOCS.480.JPG

So, Rave, do you agree with me that the Fatip Open Comb Slant is the best double edged razor you've tried?

Happy shaves,

Jim

I don't know about all of this.
I was in exactly the same boat as the OP, not very long ago.
Received nearly the exact same advice. Shane over there from Blackland razors advice is good.
Why does Shane Drive a Lotus Elise when a prius gets from point A to point B the same as a Lotus.
At any rate, I am not a collector and I may be becoming an enthusiast....not sure.
Ok, no, you don't " need" a 200.00 razor to shave. So lets say I bought a 20 dollar razor, or a 50 dollar razor.
Then I saw the blackbird razor and said to myself , wow, I could have had that.
Needs and wants are two different things. What is 200.00? That's no money for something you buy once and enjoy for a lifetime. Some of you guys are acting like it's your lifes savings. I didn't need to start my own business. I could have continued to miserably work for other people. I didn't need to buy a Lotus elise, or a Jaguar, my old truck was just fine.
I had a Suzuki RF900R race bike. I didn't need a 1199 Ducati Panigale. I didn't need a Kawasaki zx14r. I was perfectly happy fishing in public places. I didn't need to dig my own lake.
If I had listened to everyone who told me what I needed, instead of what I WANTED, I wouldn't have experienced any of these things.
It's not about what you need. It's not about what will obtain the same or close to the same result.
200 years ago nobody needed air conditioning. In reality , today , nobody needs air conditioning and you can get by without it. Summers coming. How many of you will make sure yours never gets turned on this summer?
Nobody had hot water heaters 150 years ago. Do you really need a hot water heater?
I bet you have one.
Nobody needed or cooked on stoves 800 years ago. I bet you have one.
I hope I didn't pss any of you guys off because yu all seem like a bunch of decent fellas.

There is a distinct difference between want and need. I bet theres not a single one of you on this thread who wants something that he doesn't need. Some of you want it so badly that one day you will obtain it. And I, I will be the last person on this planet to tell you, " You didn't need that."

Be well fellas.

You're absolutely right, broadly speaking. The only difference is that the Lotus isn't my first (or only) car. If OP were looking for his 3rd razor, I'd be completely on board with you. But I think it's generally unwise to jump right to top-shelf products when you start a new hobby. OP might wind up hating wet shaving so I just think it's a good idea to start with something reasonably priced and of high quality to make sure he's into it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Compete with, likely. Equal, well thats a different story. When they start selling gold ones, we'll find out.

We need to start a lobbying effort (for real gold, Mike).

I'm holding out for a second Fatip Slant made by Joris-Plisson. Now that will be an expensive razor, but not as expensive as the gold model they'll make for you, Mike.

Both the J-P and the Gold Slant will shave much better than my cheap brass Fatip!

Happy shaves to everyone,

Jim

Depends on who you are.
Personally I like the finer things in life. That's why I work hard.
I would rather take a .22 shot to the foot than shave with a cheap piece of junk and something everyone else has, for the rest of my life. There is something called Prestige of ownership. Sure you can go buy a 5 dollar Gillette on eBay and it will probably get the job done. Walmart sells a Van Der Hagen package for about 15 bucks. These razors are nothing like a Timeless Razor, or a Charcoal goods razor. I spent a lot more than 100 bucks on mine. And I would do it again.
In fact im soon to do it again when I buy my first straight razor.
Interesting because I'm of the opposite opinion, why am I gunna go spend a bunch of money on something when I can spend pennies and get great results. I'm all for spending your money, you don't get to take it with ya when your gone. Although for a first razor I would think a more inexpensive option would be better I mean hell he might hate shaving with a safety razor and it would suck to blow $200 to find that out.

I got what I think is a 1970's gillette tech for $15 that will probably outlive me & gives me phenomenal shaves so for me I'm satisfied.

Reactions: Avi
If it were me OP I would get something around ~$20 a used razor or if you wanted something new maybe a feather popular like I got. I heard it was medium aggressiveness and that seemed like a good place to start & I would've only been out $20 if I didn't like using a safety razor.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
A possible problem for someone new to DE razors is the wild variability of designs. As an example, the Gillette NEW LC and NEW SC. Both are very different razors and both shave differently.

One could also try a very common and popular Merkur 34C and fall in love with it or hate it. The same could be said for a $20 Fatip Piccolo. Both are inexpensive, both are popular and common but both are very different razors.

The best advice I give anyone thats looking for their first DE razor is, buy the one you like. Then, take the time to learn it and get the most from it. If happiness isnt found with it, understand why. The better you understand a razors shortcomings, if any, the shorter the road is to finding your best razor.

I have seen the Rockwell 6C/Rockwell 6S or Rex Ambassador been recommend alot as been the best ones which one should i get or maybe other better ones? Also isn’t the Rockwell annoying to always take it apart to put other plates and such compare to the Rex Ambassador?

For my $0.02, spend the $20 on Fatip Piccolo or ~$30 on a Fatip Grande if you'd like a larger handle and get a good selection of blades from Try A Blade. If, after a month or two, you dont like it you wont be out much. Great razors and shaves dont need to be expensive.

The OP asked for suggestions and advice on a razor for Pete's sake, not life counseling.

A razor is just a tool as far as I'm concerned. That's why I suggested the Fatip Piccolo. It's all-brass so it should last, it shaves very well, is compact, easy to handle and it cost $20.

A Merkur HD would be fine, whatever, $35.

That is not supposed to be an insult to anyone's status.

Top Bottom