What's new

L'Occitane Cade Shave Soap

Yes, it has been a while since I bought mine. I was at the mall about a year ago, so I was going on fading memory. Funny thing was that the lady said she was glad so see someone buy it, as she had never sold one in the 2 years she worked there. Perhaps that is why I think the scent is so faint? Old puck? It is a fairly busy high end mall, so I was surprised. She said they sell some of the cream though. And she offered me no samples.

They don't normally give it out samples. They simply don't have containers for them. Sometimes if you bring your own they will give you a small sample.

I know they sell TONS of the soaps here

BTW, I heard from the store clerk a few days ago that the AS SPLASH may be back around the Holidays.... :w00t:

proxy.php

That looks OK, doesn't it?

They don't normally give it out samples. They simply don't have containers for them. Sometimes if you bring your own they will give you a small sample.

BTW, I heard from the store clerk a few days ago that the AS SPLASH may be back around the Holidays.... :w00t:
I love this stuff, didnt even know a splash existed I will certainly be on the look out for that stuff

that's great news. when it was discontinued the bottles went for 90$ on ebay. I like it a lot!

I know! I hope she is right. Thats one product I really really miss from their lineup. She told me that it actually wasn't that good of a seller. Hopefully that won't be the case if it returns

It is fresh and soapy and I pick up juniper in it. This soap has one of my favorite scents and it was the only thing I used for at least a year before I went to three years of permanent beard. I just picked up a new puck of Cade off the BST and it's been great to revisit this old friend. I used to have the metal bowl but sadly it's gone missing. While I do like tallow based soaps more the Cade will stay in rotation.

Can you describe the scent?

Cheers!

Nick, it's not nice to tease!

I've never tried the splash, but I would pick it up in a heartbeat

Here's my first shave experience with Cade (thanks to rockviper for the trade). I used my T&H Rooney 1/2 for it. After a few shakes and a gentle squeeze, I started with a fairly damp brush. I had to dip the brush tips in water a few times, and the loading was easy. The proto-lather looked creamier and denser than the other French soaps I've tried - PdP, PSGT, eSahve. I whipped up some quick nice looking lather in my scuttle. It was quite dense; it covered my face well with thick uniform layer. The consistency and thickness felt similar to Klar's Kabinett. The blade glide didn't start very smooth, so I realized I needed to add more water to the lather, and I did so. Then I took my time and enjoyed the first pass. I noticed that the lather was smooth but not very slick and was somewhat denser than I like it. I expected it to get thinner and more hydrated for my second pass. For my surprise, it was still very dense and dry-ish. I had to add much more water. Then I got some very good slick lather with nice glide. I have dry skin but I liked how it felt after the shave. I finished with Aqua Velva Ice Sport which I found appropriate for the wonderful Cade scent.
So, my conclusion after this first use is that Cade is very good soap which wants water, water, and more water, more so that I'm used to.

Uh oh! We have another convert :D
This doesn't bode well for me, once I try out the Klat Kabinett. I can't be hooked on another soap!

I was recently gifted a full puck of Cade by JRock, a fellow B&B member. He cautioned me the soap would be temperamental and thirsty and he was right. He also encouraged me to be patient because Cade is a wonderful soap once you get the soap/water ratio right. Jeff was right again. The scent is wonderful and the soap is capable of producing a wonderful, protective lather. Now, there is no denying I have other soaps in my rotation that are less temperamental and produce an equally nice shave, but Cade is a very nice soap, well worth the learning curve. Keep at it and you will enjoy this soap just like the majority of us who have posted on this thread.

+1

I think that it is a harder than normal soap, so the first few lathers will be underwhelming. Takes a couple of tries to break it in. I like the scent, but it needs to be stronger, to make me go through all the effort to get good lather. As a refill it is reasonably priced ($10) but the bowl is something like 10 bucks as well for what amounts to a coke can amount of aluminum. I like the tin and would use it if it came with the soap for $10 but not for what they charge for it. I might finsh mine off in like 10 years or I may pif it. Like I said I like the scent, but there is just not enough of it, and I don't like strong perfumes. If they put Shae Butter in it like they do the rest of there products it would likely be better. So as it is it is just meh. A good smeller, but not a great performer, and there are too many good performers out there to stress over this soap in my opinion.

What!!!!!

I live in Australia.
Price is A$50 for the soap and bowl, and A$20 for the refill - and our dollars are at parity.
No wonder this soap has so many fans in the US.
Regards,
Renato

Cade is a greeat soap. I put about a tablespoon of hot water on the puck and let it sit while I strop my razor, let my brush soak and go through the beard prep. I shake the excess water out of the brush and this is the lather I get after swirling on the puck for 45 seconds and then bowl lathering. Enough for a 4 pass shave with plenty left over.

View attachment 250793

This is what's left after a 4 pass shave.
Thanks very much Tony,
But I think I got my lather denser using my boar brush, after my unhappy attempt with the badger brush where the lather wasn't as good as yours.
That said, even my initial airy lather still performed reasonably well, so yours would have performed even better.
Regards,
Renato

Top Bottom