What's new

L'Occitane Cade Shave Soap

Uh oh! We have another convert :D
This doesn't bode well for me, once I try out the Klat Kabinett. I can't be hooked on another soap!

I don't understand being hooked on one soap - it would be like having one and one only signature scent.
Or one razor.
Who does that?
Cheers,
Renato

Ok, here's a half-decent iPhone video of how wonderfully easy and amazing Cade is to lather.
Note, my "tub" is oversized and my brush is a Rudy Vey (shout out!).
I hand lather at the end, where I would normally face lather/work it in. You can see how creamy, and "glidey" the lather is.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/Lefty-T/41075f2e.mp4

Hopefully this helps those who find it difficult to lather, and also gives some people extra motivation to try it out :D

Cade is one of my go to soaps. It is a lathering machine. Great lather and lubication and it does not dry out my skin. Give it a chance and it could become one of your favorites.

Ok, here's a half-decent iPhone video of how wonderfully easy and amazing Cade is to lather.
I hand lather at the end, where I would normally face lather/work it in. You can see how creamy, and "glidey" the lather is.

Hopefully this helps those who find it difficult to lather, and also gives some people extra motivation to try it out :D

Nice lather!

I load 15-20 seconds in my Old Spice mug, then go to the scuttle for a little more water, then to the face. What a great lather! Plenty for four full passes.

Interesting video thanks. But I think that is how one has to do it with a badger brush. I think it is easier to do with the half wetted boar brush technique.
Also, I can't bring myself to put the puck wholly under water as you and others have suggested. Surely it would have to degrade the puck more quickly than it otherwise would, by keeping it relatively dry?
Regards,
Renato

After reading this thread I happenned by a L'Occitaine store and got to smell some Cade soap with the wife and daughter. They both approved of the scent (which I think is divine in a clean, understated way) so I picked up a puck and tube of after shave. I also picked up the bowl which I thought a little overpriced, but after the soap and AS I had the bit in my teeth and went for it. I face layered it this morning and it performed remarkably well. I would compare its lather to my trusty Palmolive stick which is my favorite soap. I think with some more use it could take the top spot!

Interesting video thanks. But I think that is how one has to do it with a badger brush. I think it is easier to do with the half wetted boar brush technique.
Also, I can't bring myself to put the puck wholly under water as you and others have suggested. Surely it would have to degrade the puck more quickly than it otherwise would, by keeping it relatively dry?
Regards,
Renato

It will dry on it's own. It won't "degrade", you might dissolve a little more of it for each shave, but it makes a deterrence and is worth it!

After reading this thread I happenned by a L'Occitaine store and got to smell some Cade soap with the wife and daughter. They both approved of the scent (which I think is divine in a clean, understated way) so I picked up a puck and tube of after shave. I also picked up the bowl which I thought a little overpriced, but after the soap and AS I had the bit in my teeth and went for it. I face layered it this morning and it performed remarkably well. I would compare its lather to my trusty Palmolive stick which is my favorite soap. I think with some more use it could take the top spot!

Glad you liked it.
I think this thread has been instructive, and might clear up some of the ultra contradictory reviews in the review section.
Cheers,
Renato

I don't believe in being a soap apologist for technique; some stuff simply doesn't work for some people. Either the soap is rubbish or your water quality stops it from working properly. I hesitate to blame water quality, as I've used plenty of soaps that "supposedly" don't lather in hard water and I've had no problem with them and my terrible water. I've lost count of the soaps I've used and the only duds I've come across are GFT Rose, MWF and Cade.

I persisted with all of them for too long, with a variety of techniques, and this isn't rocket surgery; if a soap is a dud for you, no change in technique will make it otherwise. For me, Cade produces a light, frothy, 'sparkly' lather and no amount of loading or water, boars or badgers, changed that. I've even grated if to allow the brushes to load better - this just makes the process of making poor lather take longer and produce more of it.

If this is your experience with Cade. Move on. I've other veggie soaps costing far less that do the job better.

If this was 18 months ago, I would be totally in agreement. There are many soaps available that perform instantly, so why bother? Moving forward, and today I find Cade one of my best performing veggie soaps. I wouldn't normally waste my time, but Cade IMO has one of the best scents around, and persistence paid off handsomely for me.

I freaking love the scent of Cade, but after trying it and revisiting it over the course of a few months, and giving it more chances than any other cream or soap (which should tell you how much I liked the scent) it still fell short in the performance department.

If this was 18 months ago, I would be totally in agreement. There are many soaps available that perform instantly, so why bother? Moving forward, and today I find Cade one of my best performing veggie soaps. I wouldn't normally waste my time, but Cade IMO has one of the best scents around, and persistence paid off handsomely for me.

I agree. My first few shaves with Cade produced an airy lather that wasn't very protective. I participated in the November 2010 Cade Challenge, and came to love the soap. For me, I get great results with when face lathering with a relatively dry boar brush. I add water by dipping the tip of the brush, ending up with a dense and slick lather. Since then, I've never had any trouble getting great results with Cade.

Mike

They don't normally give it out samples. They simply don't have containers for them. Sometimes if you bring your own they will give you a small sample.

I know they sell TONS of the soaps here

BTW, I heard from the store clerk a few days ago that the AS SPLASH may be back around the Holidays.... :w00t:

As a fan of the Cade soap, I can't wait.

Im having trouble finding Cade in the 2 stores in my area. Did they discontinue it yet? I remember there was some talk of that a year ago or so.

It wasn't discontinued, just out of stock for a bit.

Let's all celebrate! This is coming from L'Occitane France via their Facebook page ( http://www.facebook.com/loccitane.fr ):

Good news: the CADE shaving soap will be available again in May!

It's available online.

http://usa.loccitane.com/cade-shaving-soap,82,1,29434,283018.htm

Also, my local store always has a few pucks stashed in the drawers below their shelves.

Last time I went in they had none on the shelf and the clerk thought they were out until she checked the drawer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom