What's new

L'Occitane Cade Shave Soap

Juniper.

I just finished grating the remainder of my puck into an Old Spice mug as I broke the bowl I had it in. Nice soft soap. It is very white and has a clean fragrance. The last couple of shaves I have used a boar knot and done little mixing in the scuttle. Forget the airy lather. It is creamy and dense. Not quite MWF or Tabac, but very nice. This soap is very enjoyable and provides a glide and cushion.

From now on when somebody says a certain soap doesn't work, I'm just going to post a link to this thread. If after applying that method, the soap still does not work for you, Pif it or BST it, and move on.

I disagee with you.

Firstly, I didn't say the soap didn't work.

Secondly, I asked for redeeming attributes - and I got them - none of which are mentioned in the post that you link to.

Thirdly, I've found the responses instructive and have learned that,
a. Others had the same issue as me, and got around it, and
b. Some people love Cade soap, and
c. Some people, who got around the lathering issue, still don't like this soap,
none of which is mentioned in the post you linked to.

Fourthly, the post you link to does not state that a Cade puck requires considerably more work than say a Tabac or Truefitt & Hill puck, the latter two definitely not requiring the bowl immersion and having a shower method get a decent lather out of them.

Regards,
Renato

Last edited:
I disagee with you.

Firstly, I didn't say the soap didn't work.

Secondly, I asked for redeeming attributes - and I got them - none of which are mentioned in the post that you link to.

Thirdly, I've found the responses instructive and have learned that,
a. Others had the same issue as me, and got around it, and
b. Some people love Cade soap, and
c. Some people, who got around the lathering issue, still don't like this soap,
none of which is mentioned in the post you linked to.

Regards,
Renato

All great points, Renato! I'm glad you posed your question and this thread, as I learned from the responses as well. :thumbup1:

Yes, I really was pulling for the Cade and wanted to hold onto it (I actually gave this soap more chances to work for me than any other because I enjoyed the scent so much) but just never performed. I would ALWAYS get little nicks and weepers with this soap, and I NEVER get nicks or weepers! (Heck, I hardly even ever get so much as a sting from my alum block!) I do a lot of touch-up and blade buffing because I like a really smooth, close shave, and as a result need something that offers a lot of protection, and the Cade just didn't have it, even though the lather it whipped up seemed great. I've learned over the short 6 or 7 months I've been using a DE that the way the lather whips up is not a guarantee of good performance unfortunately. I'm not saying its a horrible soap, I've just found others that blow Cade out of the water as far as performance!

Perhaps the Cade shaving cream performs better?
Cheers,
Renato

Nah, stick with me kid, and you'll do great. :)

Seriously, it's awesome for me, but I can honestly say I didn't find Tabac to be special, nor did my face agree with 3 of 4 RR soaps I have used. We're all different and we all like different stuff. I'm cool with it :)

Stick to it, it's a great soap

Shall definitely do.

If you want to get rid of it, let's make a deal :D

It's my go-to, as we stand. I haven't found another soap that I just "get" like I do Cade. My face feels so smooth after a Cade shave, I have to look down at my chest to make sure I haven't gone back in time, before I hit puberty.

Another wonderful way to use Cade is to give it a 30 second soak in warm water, in a oversized container (maybe twice the size of the bowl they sell. Then, drain the water and build lather on top of the puck for about a minute. Then, take it to your damp face and face lather, adding a touch of water if needed.

I honesty think once you get Cade, it might be almost impossible to beat. The scent alone is second to none, and for me, the glide and medium cushion, combined with the after shave feel of my skin are unbeatable!

I can see that you are a big big fan of Cade soap! thanks.

Starting with a wet brush will work too if you keep at it long enough.

But I might get the initial airy lather running up my arm! I'll try the half wet method next.

Listen to these guys, they know what they're saying! I had the same problem you did when I first used my puck, but it's a very thirsty soap and requires some elbow grease. When you get it right, it's a VERY slick soap with a scent second to none, good luck and enjoy!

Thanks, shall do.

I've tried Cade too and am not in love with it like I am with Institut Karite (IK) or even MWF. I'm sure it's a YMMV thing, and I haven't given Cade as full a trial as I have other soaps or creams. Cade's scent has a "different" powdery scent that I'm not crazy about and the lather seemed to dry faster than other stuff I've used. Maybe there's something funky with my water?

The next time I try it I'll use the above advice but I just don't have to do anything special to get IK to perform.

Having made the $20 or so investment in a soap puck, I guess we have to try make the soap work well - be it that we just want to see that it can be done because others have done it, or just out of idle curiosity. It's our nature.

Cade owes me money. Pitiful lather. YMMV.

I suspect that you have given up on it.

I could get a good lather from Cade, but in the end found that there are plenty of other soaps which outperform it.

Obviously variation among people comes into it. I've been avoiding the much loved Sir Irisch Moos from a stick after using it only once, but quite like Tabac in a puck - and they're meant to be the same thing.

Were it not for the magnificent scent, I would have ditched Cade after just a couple of uses-the lather was that bad!. But oh am I so glad I didn't! What started out as a disaster has now been transformed in to one of my favourite soaps, period. I was using a dry brush as seems to be the recommendation with this soap, but a wet brush, as I now use on all soaps, just turned this soap in to something else.:001_smile

Thanks, very interesting to hear of your turnaround on it.

I was recently gifted a full puck of Cade by JRock, a fellow B&B member. He cautioned me the soap would be temperamental and thirsty and he was right. He also encouraged me to be patient because Cade is a wonderful soap once you get the soap/water ratio right. Jeff was right again. The scent is wonderful and the soap is capable of producing a wonderful, protective lather. Now, there is no denying I have other soaps in my rotation that are less temperamental and produce an equally nice shave, but Cade is a very nice soap, well worth the learning curve. Keep at it and you will enjoy this soap just like the majority of us who have posted on this thread.

Very interesting perspective , thanks.

I'm offering a trade for a Cade puck! See my offer:
---No links to BST---
You have me curious - after reading the varied responses, do you want it because you like it, or because you are curious to find out whether or not you like it?

Thanks to all of you for your input.
Regards,
Renato

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I could get a good lather from Cade, but in the end found that there are plenty of other soaps which outperform it.

Yep, the only reason it isn't already on BST is the container is different .. plus, was forced to go inside a mall to purchase it. Never again

...You have me curious - after reading the varied responses, do you want it because you like it, or because you are curious to find out whether or not you like it?...

From over 50 soaps, creams and croaps I've tried, I have 12 favorite ones in my rotation. Recently, syngent gave me the opportunity to sniff at the Cade. If the performance is on a par with the scent, then it easily will find its place somewhere in my top 13 list. I'm going to find out soon.

Nah, stick with me kid, and you'll do great. :)

Seriously, it's awesome for me, but I can honestly say I didn't find Tabac to be special, nor did my face agree with 3 of 4 RR soaps I have used. We're all different and we all like different stuff. I'm cool with it :)
Yes, we're all different.
For example, despite its richness, Arko Regular cream - which has its fans here - left me with nicks everywhere, something that the not so rich mixture of Cade I whipped up didn't do.
Regards,
Renato

From over 50 soaps, creams and croaps I've tried, I have 12 favorite ones in my rotation. Recently, syngent gave me the opportunity to sniff at the Cade. If the performance is on a par with the scent, then it easily will find its place somewhere in my top 13 list. I'm going to find out soon.

If you like the soap, you'll be rushing out for the Cade aftershave balm.
It is fabulous.
I don't actually own it, but they've given me so many samples going by L'Occitane counters, I have plenty to keep my going in my large rotation.
Cheers,
Renato

I just completed a shave using Cade, and this time it worked really well, comparable to my Truefitt&Hill and Tabac bowl lathers.

I got a nice thickish creamy lather by using a wild boar brush, which I only half wetted, and then applied the brush to the unwetted soap in the bowl. I only applied a little bit more water to the brush twice more while doing this.

Gentlemen - thank you once again for your advice.
Regards,
Renato

Cade is a greeat soap. I put about a tablespoon of hot water on the puck and let it sit while I strop my razor, let my brush soak and go through the beard prep. I shake the excess water out of the brush and this is the lather I get after swirling on the puck for 45 seconds and then bowl lathering. Enough for a 4 pass shave with plenty left over.

$DSC02397.jpg

This is what's left after a 4 pass shave.

$DSC02405.jpg

I think that it is a harder than normal soap, so the first few lathers will be underwhelming. Takes a couple of tries to break it in. I like the scent, but it needs to be stronger, to make me go through all the effort to get good lather. As a refill it is reasonably priced ($10) but the bowl is something like 10 bucks as well for what amounts to a coke can amount of aluminum. I like the tin and would use it if it came with the soap for $10 but not for what they charge for it. I might finsh mine off in like 10 years or I may pif it. Like I said I like the scent, but there is just not enough of it, and I don't like strong perfumes. If they put Shae Butter in it like they do the rest of there products it would likely be better. So as it is it is just meh. A good smeller, but not a great performer, and there are too many good performers out there to stress over this soap in my opinion.

I keep seeing folks say the refill is only $10, but it's $12 at the two Minneapolis stores. The tin, I believe, is closer to $28 withOUT the soap.

I keep seeing folks say the refill is only $10, but it's $12 at the two Minneapolis stores. The tin, I believe, is closer to $28 withOUT the soap.

The refill was $10, now its $12. Still less than DRH, GFT, etc. Not to mention you can buy it locally

The bowl is $28 without the soap. Like all bowls, it is not necessary. So it shouldn't really be a point of contention. That being said, it is very nice

Yes, it has been a while since I bought mine. I was at the mall about a year ago, so I was going on fading memory. Funny thing was that the lady said she was glad so see someone buy it, as she had never sold one in the 2 years she worked there. Perhaps that is why I think the scent is so faint? Old puck? It is a fairly busy high end mall, so I was surprised. She said they sell some of the cream though. And she offered me no samples.

Top Bottom