What's new

L'Occitane Cade Shave Soap

For the sexy aluminum bowl alone Cade is one of those "must try" soaps. Once you get a good sniff of that gin & tonic-esque scent you'll wonder why you didn't try it sooner.

Having said that, Cade has not made my Inner Circle rotation in 12 months of wet shaving but has consistently hovered on the periphery.

I used Cade this morning for the first time in probably a year. I don't know why I stopped using what used to be in my regular rotation. It's probably tied with MWF for my favorite soap with Tabac coming in 3rd. I got a hell of a shave without any effort and it smells wonderful. I regularly use the Cade aftershave balm when the weather isn't hot. Love that shea butter.

I ordered a good face lathering soap brush (Rooney Heritage Stubby 2XL) yesterday, so I'm going to make a concerted effort to return to soaps rather than creams. One of these days I should get the actual bowls for my Cade and MWF. It seems so unceremonious to have such great products in simple plastic tubs.

I got the soap+bowl ages ago but couldn't get the lather to work. It was airy and dry for me.

After reading this thread I used the same method I do for IK--drier brush, load it very well, slowly add water.

The result was fantastic. I've been using Mike's for the past month and didn't miss it in any way (don't get me wrong, its a phenomenal product too)

Well, I was surprised when the delivery guy actually came back to my office and delivered the package from L'Occitane USA directly to me in person. I don't know if this is something that L'Occitane USA insists that all of their couriers do or if my secretary requested that he do this since she has been suffering from back trouble lately and my office is toward the rear of the building making it quite a long walk.... whatever the case may be, Cade shave soap and his flying saucer-like metal dish made quite the entrance into my "shaving life". First class all the way. Strangely, I did not use this soap for my shave this evening. I'm hysterically working through QCS, Mystic Water, and Mike's Natural Soap samples right now and since I wore Guerlain Vetiver cologne today I decide to use QCS Vetiver soap from a sample wedge I have. A little Santa Maria Novella Vetiver AS Lotion afterward and life is very good. But, I could not resist Cade very much longer. I've been reading about Cade soap.... reading all the rave reviews. The packaging of this French soap is very stylish and the scent seemed subtle but pleasent directly from the dry puck. So, I did a test lather. Took my Rooney Heritage Stubby 1XL and wetted it down for about 30 seconds under the faucet as I dripped a few drops of water on top of the puck of soap. I held up my brush and let the water drip out and then gave it a couple good squeezes and got most of the water out of it. I loaded the soap on the brush for about 45 to 60 seconds and then I went to lathering the soap on my hand. It quickly coated my hand and seemed a bit dry, but I was patient and worked it for about a minute. Then I slowly added tiny amounts of water by running my brush tips under a warm water drizzle coming from the faucet. Not much water at any one time at all. Going back and forth between lightly wetting the brush and working up the lather. The aroma was very nice. I got a peppery, lavender somewhat similar to the L'Occitan PH fragrance.... I don't know if it's supposed to smell similar or not. It's a relatively light scent from the lather. By the time I was done I had one of the creamiest and luxurious lathers I've made lately. Tabac is maybe the only soap that lathers more easily than this soap did for me. I can't wait to shave with this soap very soon. I read someone earlier in this thread say that Cade is one of those "must trys".... and I would have to agree. Incidently, it's actually not a terribly expensive soap at $12 a puck right now. Since the puck and the dish are sold separately, you can decide if you want to fork out the $28 for the dish. Personally, there are not too many more impressive looking soap boxes out there IMO.... and I think it's work every penny.... but YMMV.

Ben

Well, I was surprised when the delivery guy actually came back to my office and delivered the package from L'Occitane USA directly to me in person. I don't know if this is something that L'Occitane USA insists that all of their couriers do or if my secretary requested that he do this since she has been suffering from back trouble lately and my office is toward the rear of the building making it quite a long walk.... whatever the case may be, Cade shave soap and his flying saucer-like metal dish made quite the entrance into my "shaving life". First class all the way. Strangely, I did not use this soap for my shave this evening. I'm hysterically working through QCS, Mystic Water, and Mike's Natural Soap samples right now and since I wore Guerlain Vetiver cologne today I decide to use QCS Vetiver soap from a sample wedge I have. A little Santa Maria Novella Vetiver AS Lotion afterward and life is very good. But, I could not resist Cade very much longer. I've been reading about Cade soap.... reading all the rave reviews. The packaging of this French soap is very stylish and the scent seemed subtle but pleasent directly from the dry puck. So, I did a test lather. Took my Rooney Heritage Stubby 1XL and wetted it down for about 30 seconds under the faucet as I dripped a few drops of water on top of the puck of soap. I held up my brush and let the water drip out and then gave it a couple good squeezes and got most of the water out of it. I loaded the soap on the brush for about 45 to 60 seconds and then I went to lathering the soap on my hand. It quickly coated my hand and seemed a bit dry, but I was patient and worked it for about a minute. Then I slowly added tiny amounts of water by running my brush tips under a warm water drizzle coming from the faucet. Not much water at any one time at all. Going back and forth between lightly wetting the brush and working up the lather. The aroma was very nice. I got a peppery, lavender somewhat similar to the L'Occitan PH fragrance.... I don't know if it's supposed to smell similar or not. It's a relatively light scent from the lather. By the time I was done I had one of the creamiest and luxurious lathers I've made lately. Tabac is maybe the only soap that lathers more easily than this soap did for me. I can't wait to shave with this soap very soon. I read someone earlier in this thread say that Cade is one of those "must trys".... and I would have to agree. Incidently, it's actually not a terribly expensive soap at $12 a puck right now. Since the puck and the dish are sold separately, you can decide if you want to fork out the $28 for the dish. Personally, there are not too many more impressive looking soap boxes out there IMO.... and I think it's work every penny.... but YMMV.

Ben

That it lathers easily isn't the issue for me, rather that it lathers well. I'm still using my boar brush with Cade to get the lather I need. With my badger brush it lathers - but it's a lather only a bit better than what comes out of canned foam (which works well for a lot of people, but not for all). Anyhow, glad you found it good for you.
Regards,
Renato

I bought it. But the scent is not my favourite and lather too. I think you can find more protective soaps at the same price. It s a good soap after all but not enough for me.

I tried and tried to work with Cade but finally gave in and used it for shower soap, to many other soaps out there that cost less and are easier to work with.

I tried and tried to work with Cade but finally gave in and used it for shower soap, to many other soaps out there that cost less and are easier to work with.

You may not get the performance with Cade that I do, because there are so many variables such as water quality etc, but price isn't the issue. You can get L'Occitane at Haircare24 for $10 bucks with free shipping. This makes it one of cheapest cost per shave soaps out there. Tough to beat for a hard, long lasting soap, especially if you enjoy it as much as I do.

Used to not care for it, but I loaded a lot more than I usually did with my synthetic and lo and behold, I had a very good shave.

168E89A9-F8D0-4D1F-AB31-DA5929424208.jpeg

30-40 seconds of hand-puck lathering.

Thanks everyone for sharing your likes or dislikes on L'Occitane Cade Soap. For me it’s an amazing soap— highly beneficial for skincare... I have super sensitive skin unfortunately.

Here is a pic and several tidbits/observations of mine. My opinions are purely observations and I realize your results may vary considerably! LOL

1). In case anyone wonders about pronunciation of L'Occitane— LOX-EE-TAHN.

2). I live in Seattle Washington and our water is soft and most often no chlorination or minimal treatment anywhere in the area— amazing water quality for such a big city. I seldom have any lathering problems with any soap. L'Occitane lathers excellent even after just 30-40 seconds as in this attached photo.

3). I seldom use a bowl and mostly hand lather like seen in this picture. My method with all soaps is to add warm/hot water to the soap puck and pre-dampen my brush while I take a hot shower. I often make coffee boiling water in a kettle ((YES— I’m a Seattle Coffee Snob... my Son is a master-roaster for Storyville Coffee— spoiled!!!))
..... back to soap and shaving.... I often boil water as shave prep. I steam my face for added suppleness— my beard is “highly” course and wiry.

4). I consider L'Occitane among my Top-Tier favorites in overall quality. My beard being course and my face super-sensitive to any harshness..... got me hooked on L'Occitane for its purity and quality of ingredients was a big factor— my face feels amazing post shave!
Other great post skincare-oriented shaving soaps for me are Baume.be, Meissner Tremonia, Valobra Valobra Crema di Sapone-Menthol and MdC soaps. Soaps like ARKO cause me to breakout something terrible! LOL!!!

5). I start with soap that has softened with warm water and start with a fairly wet brush— much more wet than what many guys would be inclined. While only 30-40 seconds of lathering is all I need I tend to gently burnish the brush over the soap (all soaps) for 1.5- 2 mins if I have time. I add even more water during the prep until I achieve a high glide quality— not based on thickness itself, but maximum glide with no bubbles. I prefer straight razor and Vintage SE razor shaving — so max glide and less thick but with creaminess is my goal.
(Hope this helps, and can be understood) I lack good descriptiveness.

6). I love the CADE woody (similar to cedar wood) fragrance. The soap fragrance gently lingers long after my shave— it’s a very gentle woody, warm, mellowing profile— quality essential oils are sourced from their operation in France... very opposite a cheap heavy or artificial perfume.

Hope this helps.... and like all things give it a few tries and methods of building the lather— dry brush or wet brush like me!

Have a great day gents !!!!
- Mark

I don't see it for $10

You may not get the performance with Cade that I do, because there are so many variables such as water quality etc, but price isn't the issue. You can get L'Occitane at Haircare24 for $10 bucks with free shipping. This makes it one of cheapest cost per shave soaps out there. Tough to beat for a hard, long lasting soap, especially if you enjoy it as much as I do.

Besides the great lather, another nice thing about L'Occitane is that they have brick-and-mortar stores in many locations all over the world.

Top Bottom