What's new

Suggestions for O/U shotgun

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I could use some suggestions on an O/U shotgun. Preferably 12g with auto ejectors. Other than those 2 things I’m open to any suggestions. It’ll be used for 95% for clays and trap but I may occasionally take it bird hunting. Budget is up to $1500 but I’d like to keep it under this if possible. I’m open to new or used.

I would be looking for a used Citori Trap model with screw in chokes. Since, you occasionally may take it bird hunting, I would look for a 30" model.

I shoot trap and skeet nearly weekly, and on occasion 5 stand. Even, though I have other models, I use a Citori trap.

I am a Citori fan. They will go 100k+ rounds with very little other than a firing pin and spring change every now and then. Parts are readily available and cheap. Firing pins and springs are easy to put in by the user.

In the past couple of weeks, I have passed on a couple of 800 buck Citori Trap guns simply because I didn't need them. One of them, I referred a youth shooter to. He got it and has been doing very well with it.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I would be looking for a used Citori Trap model with screw in chokes. Since, you occasionally may take it bird hunting, I would look for a 30" model.

I shoot trap and skeet nearly weekly, and on occasion 5 stand. Even, though I have other models, I use a Citori trap.

I am a Citori fan. They will go 100k+ rounds with very little other than a firing pin and spring change every now and then. Parts are readily available and cheap. Firing pins and springs are easy to put in by the user.

In the past couple of weeks, I have passed on a couple of 800 buck Citori Trap guns simply because I didn't need them. One of them, I referred a youth shooter to. He got it and has been doing very well with it.
Thanks, exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I have an 1100 that is my primary upland bird gun and an 870 for 3inch duck loads. I could make this a dedicated clays and trap gun, would a 28inch barrel be better?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
First shotgun I ever shot was a Browning 16 side by side.... Just clays, I was young. That is becoming a very underappreciated gauge. Almost an after thought by the manufacturers. I just plain prefer 20 over 12, and I think I need to get reacquainted with the 16...

Edit: I lied. First was my Dad's old .410, his only gun that I know of!

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
First shotgun I ever shot was a Browning 16 side by side.... Just clays, I was young. That is becoming a very underappreciated gauge. Almost an after thought by the manufacturers. I just plain prefer 20 over 12, and I think I need to get reacquainted with the 16...

Edit: I lied. First was my Dad's old .410, his only gun that I know of!
16g would be my first choice but I’m set up to reload 12g and don’t really need to buy anymore reloading equipment.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
16g would be my first choice but I’m set up to reload 12g and don’t really need to buy anymore reloading equipment.
Blessedly I have not fallen into THAT rabbit hole!

I just need to shoot some of the stuff I got more than 4x a year!

I could make this a dedicated clays and trap gun, would a 28inch barrel be better?

Not IMO. Most trap shooters do not want a 28" gun. More actually want a 32" than a 30" these days. With that being said, you can often get better deals on a 30" gun compared to a 32" when talking used.

You can't compare OAL of a 30" O/U to a 30" semi or pump. The semi/pump will be much longer due to the length of their receiver.

Since trap is on the agenda, I would urge you to look for a trap gun. The parallel comb of a trap gun makes a consistent mount easier. A sporting gun with a sloping comb can make your shot vary in elevation if your head mount is less consistent.

Last edited:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I just aquired a mid 80’s Citori Trap 32” barrels, Monte Carlo stock. I have shot two rounds of sporting clays with it. The owner offered it up and the price was right so what the hell.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I’ve had some stuff come up that have drained my new gun funds for a while. A Citori is #1 on the list. Hopefully after the first of the year.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
This was a pure fluke, Adam. There is not a lot of them-out there.
I’ve realized that while looking for one. It’s about to be cold enough here that I’m not going to want to be outside shooting anyway so waiting until it am starts to warm up is fine.

Citori's have been made since 1973. There's plenty of them out there. I shoot clays at 2 different clubs. 9 outta 10 0/U guns on the range are Citori's.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I have several. All bought used or at least pre-owned.
Did you buy them from other people that you know that shoot trap or from a gun store. I haven’t been able to find any local to me, but I haven’t been searching real hard lately either.

No one shotgun is a do it all for skeet, trap, and birds. Birds too, do best with different guns depending on the bird species and hunting environment.

Trap gunners tend to like longer barrels, but...I shot VTA with 26" barrels. Personal preference, shorter barrels swing better for me.

Skeet and clays, I prefer the same 26" barrels. Again, preference.

I hunted upland birds, Mr. Bobwhite, chucker, and others with 24" and 26" barrels. Prefer the 26" overall because it works well for me.

Never did waterfowl where shots are longer. Might want more barrel for those.

Owned a couple of 28" but never did care for the feel.

Citori is a fine shotgun that comes in many flavors. Each model, I owned plenty, has good features and bad. Those silver nitride finished guns wear well and develop character with age. The weakness is when a shooting line faces the sun. Glare is tremendous. But still my favorite finish. World of difference in feel between a Grand Citori forearm and a Citori with a Schnabel forend. Straight English or Prince of Wales stock? Different feels. Different strengths and weaknesses. Preference.

Beretta feels lighter and more elegant. But they never came up right to my liking. Sold mine years ago.

When shopping, swing the shotgun and also shake it up and down and barrel from ground to ceiling. Listen for any rattle. Rattle indicates the barrel joining is damaged, most likely from being dropped in the store. Run away from any double sbs or ou with that sound. Expensive factory fix.

Stick with 12 GA for the sports but you can shoot 20 at least you used to could. Never saw a 16 GA at any club shoot. But my knowledge may be a bit dated on the rules. My last years were exclusively hunting upland with 20 GA.

My advice is twofold. Find a few places that rent shotguns. Try a few different brands. Second, find a certified instructor, Find an Instructor - https://mynssa.nssa-nsca.org/instructors-2/. He can teach you how to fit a gun for you personally. Which chokes work best for a given situation. Valuable knowledge that can save a $$$$ mistake. Helps you figure out the closest fit off the rack. Makes differ in heel drop, comb height, cast, balance, and feel. Not every one will work well for every shooter. Two models of the same gun will pattern differently.

Hope this helps you out. Let me know if I can help out.

... final thoughts on maintenance. Never put a hot shotgun in the case. Don't do it, nothing encourages rust quicker. Shotgun grease, use it on the choke tubes. A little goes a long way. Use a good dab on the hinge areas to prevent galling. See 1 and 2 below.

9976C29C-DD8E-46F9-84B2-8DD086F3AE12.jpeg

Top Bottom