What's new

Suggestions for O/U shotgun

I’ve realized that while looking for one. It’s about to be cold enough here that I’m not going to want to be outside shooting anyway so waiting until it am starts to warm up is fine.
I bought a slightly used 20 year old Citori Ultra XT back in January at a LGS for what I think was a good price. I believe a pretty big part of the reason I got it for a good price was because it was cold outside.

5C607D21-C59B-440F-9F5F-EEC4E41B7088.jpeg
E0B70EEB-949F-4FDF-8401-4CEC99D5CF70.jpeg
E2DD9A42-B2DB-4DB6-A8AE-43B96472F1EE.jpeg

Browning, Beretta, Winchester…they all work well. For me, in an O/U Browning gets the nod. Auto? Benelli all day.
3AE0BA44-06CE-49FD-A144-3B1FEF581B16.jpeg

Attachments

• 59E5A983-90EB-429A-A163-D57F37C4E1D8.jpeg
    59E5A983-90EB-429A-A163-D57F37C4E1D8.jpeg
    736.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 21303B4D-5DBD-4CB6-9164-7F022470AAEE.jpeg
    21303B4D-5DBD-4CB6-9164-7F022470AAEE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
I sold guns at Cabelas for 7 years and shot competitive Skeet for 5, my advice is go to the most upscale gun shop in your area and try everything they have. Hopefully with the help of the oldest greybeard in the building. Pick the one that fits. If it don't fit you can't hit. If you have other shotguns that you shoot well try to get that brand (they use the same stock dimensions, most of the time). If the brand you like doesn't make an over/under stay with the same continent of origin. Berettas and Brownings are very different. And please be aware that trap guns have built in vertical lead, not so good in the field.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I wish I could turn the Marlin Goose Gun I inherited into a trap gun but the cost would be exorbitant. Damn thing has a 36!!yes 36 inch barrel and weighs over 8 pounds! Only rated for lead shot which cannot be used for waterfowl hunting anymore. A truly useless gun.

My O/U is a Maverick Hunter I bought brand new for 200 bucks. It handles and functions just fine but at 7 pounds it starts to hurt after 100 rounds and it is a field stocked gun. I would love a dedicated trap gun but I cannot justify the expenditure for a gun that has no other use than the trap range.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I sold guns at Cabelas for 7 years and shot competitive Skeet for 5, my advice is go to the most upscale gun shop in your area and try everything they have. Hopefully with the help of the oldest greybeard in the building. Pick the one that fits. If it don't fit you can't hit. If you have other shotguns that you shoot well try to get that brand (they use the same stock dimensions, most of the time). If the brand you like doesn't make an over/under stay with the same continent of origin. Berettas and Brownings are very different. And please be aware that trap guns have built in vertical lead, not so good in the field.
Excellent advice. I prefer the Silver Pigeon over the Citori because I shot it better. The Citori is more full figured, with the SP being a bit sleeker. Makes no sense, because I prefer a full figured woman over a sleek one. :) when it comes to semi autos (A5) and bolt action, give me the Browning.

I have one O/U a nearly 50 year old Winchester 101 field grade in 20 ga, fixed chokes I/C -Mod I think, I am(was) better one skeet with it than with my Rem 1100 12 ga with a skeet barrel, but that was years ago. It was simply lighter and quicker handling. It's been so long since I shot skeet or hunted that I am no longer proficient witha shotgun, but my preference is a side by side for hunting, and for target shooting the O/U.

Reactions: ctr
Last SxS I owned was about 20 years ago, a Stoeger. it was one of the nastiest shotguns I have ever had the misfortune of shooting. Made in Brazil by Boito it was a disaster.
Really wanted another SxS but could not find the right one…..until yesterday. Picked up a CZ Bobwhite 12 gauge in Chattanooga for about $620 new. It has great reviews so we shall see later next week if it’s all it’s cracked up to be.

For as good as I am at it I might as well just throw the shot at that %&*$^*&&%$^T#$!# clay bird.
I too am a member of that club. However, I love to dove hunt. Note that I said 'hunt' not 'kill'. When I do interrupt one's flight, it always comes as a complete surprise and I think that is why I enjoy it so much. I have frightened many and maimed few.

Left to right
16, 20, 28, .410

The 16 and .410 are I. Rizzini. The 20 and 28 are Beretta

New_1.jpg

O/U's? I'll echo the fellow's reply that said one gun probably won't do for trap and upland birds. Hell, one gun just won't do period! I think the advice on Citori's is fine -- Browning sells pretty good stuff for the price, and their warranty service is quite good. You've got to find your price level for anything, though. My clay target sport is skeet. I have devoted a lot of time to it and have been all-state first team several times. I am a National Skeet Shooting Association (NSSA) certified skeet instructor. With all its different shot presentations in such a compact area, the skeet field is the best place by far to acquire wingshooting fundamentals. Though the trend over the last 50 years has been to longer barrels and heavier guns for skeet, it is possible to buy a regular field style gun suitable for upland or even waterfowl that will work nicely on the skeet field. You can shoot trap and sporties with it too. With a gun light enough to carry in the field, you likely will be punished by recoil if you shoot over 100 shells a day. It is not unusual for a skeet shooter to fire off 200 to 500 a day in practice. For instance, in tournaments you will always be shooting at least 200 each day -- minimum 500 shells in a 2 and a half day normal weekend tournament. That's why guns designed specifically for any clays sport tend to be too heavy to carry in the field. If you are not a particularly high volume shooter in the clay sports, yes, you can get by with a gun designed to be carried in the field.

What to buy? Get something that fits, feels good to you, looks good to you, accomplishes your mission, and meets your budget. That's a lot of yous and yourses, isn't it. If that advice sounds too trite and simple to be useful, recognize you simply have to make some decisions. For starters, I recommend the Beretta 68X series O/U's -- the 686 is a good field suitable O/U at a decent price. Internally, all the 680 series, their predecessors and follow-ons are basically the same or just plain identical. Durability across all models of this series is identical. Prices depend on decoration level. They are a little more compact design than Browning's O/U's - look and feel better to me. I also have Brownings and Browning clones, such as an original Superposed from the '30's and a Winchester 101 3-barrel set -- so you can see I'll try anything. Berettas are at least as high quality gun as Browning O/U's and very little different in price for equivalent luxury/decoration levels. Berettas are common, easy to find on the used market and easily serviced, though you will likely never need service beyond normal care and feeding. We're talking more lifetimes than your own here -- unless you shoot more than 10 or 20 thousand rounds per year for 30 years. I like the used market for guns. Guns last forever, and there are some real bargains on the used market. I don't get too hooked on brands; I consider condition and configuration to suit my needs. More often than not I buy used guns.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Local LGS has one of the older Japan made Winchester 101s right now. No info online about it other than it’s 12g and “in good condition.” I may go by there just to take a look at it. I’ve decided that whatever I end up getting will be dedicated to shooting sports. I’ll continue to use my 1100 for upland birds. I don’t do a lot of duck hunting, but have an 870 that goes when I do.

On used O/U, I have owned a few. Check the choke tubes seat fully, turn easily, all the way in and out. Rules out firing with loose chokes abuse and seized choke tubes from lack of care.

Check the resistance to opening and closing the action, both cocked and uncocked. An stiff action has generally seen little use. A well worn action will open and close easily. Nothing wrong with well worn, just tells you something about the history of use. These guns are built to last generations.

Look at the lever. Should be off center, at least on Browning and Beretta. If the lever is centered I would walk away. Correct alignment looks like this, offset to one side.

875BDC14-B5B1-473C-8750-C002824D6D93.jpeg

Top Bottom