What's new

August 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in - BBS with a fresh Tiger Superior
E5F06B4B-58E6-44A6-ABC4-89C045943401.jpeg

@linty1 - I have actually been interested in the "stropper" device that you have. Have you (or others) used it enough to give an opinion? I regularly palm, towel or denim strop cartridge razors and sometimes DE's as well.
A Twinplex works great for a double edged blade, there are many for auction. If you want to get one make sure it is for Gillette Type blades, Model G 200 (almost all of them are). Allegro makes a honer, model L is for Gillette type DEs. It also strops, but it is a little more time consuming to set up than the Twinplex so I only use it when the blade needs extra attention.

linty1

My wallet cries.
@linty1 - I have actually been interested in the "stropper" device that you have. Have you (or others) used it enough to give an opinion? I regularly palm, towel or denim strop cartridge razors and sometimes DE's as well.
That was my first time using it, but it did -seem- to make a difference? Thinking about, I think? I remember ppl saying the same results coukd be achieved using a pair of denim jeans and stropped in the same fashion, ie lay down a little cart foam, then strop pushing up. I just don't have any jeans. Worth a try. Also fyi the stropper you see in the photo was from ebay, shipped from China. I don't know if it's -the- cartridge stropper, but it seems sturdy and seemed to do the trick. It was not expensive at all.

Still at it. Returned to the cabinet painting project today and made a lot of progress. Feel like I been rode hard and put away wet. Wanted a quick easy shave so I grabbed the Leaf. Got a DFS++ in a short time! (If I had the energy for a couple more passes I coulda been a contender for a BBS.)
Now wondering if I will stay awake tonight with a throbbing shoulder. Maybe being exhausted will override that! Naproxen, must take naproxen.

Day 19, 61.3% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere, plus cheap boar.
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #2
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave.

An easy DFS. Astras always feel smoother on the second use.

Got the soap down to 16g, but it's getting difficult to load, as it's disintegrating.

GRUME August Shave 12/16 (I added a few extra everyday shave rather than every other day so there will be more)

No of Arko Shave 6

Pre Pre Shave : Neutrgena Face lotion with Sunscreen

Prep : Hot shower
Preshave : Proraso White
Brush : Proraso Boar
Soap : Stirling Soap Margaritas in the Artic
Razor : Fatip Lo Storto Chrome Slant Closed Comb WTG then Merkur HD 34 C XTG/clean up
Blade : Platinium (1)
Post : Alum Block, left other lather, Stirling Soap Margaritas in the Artic Balm mentholated and maybe the splash too in a litte while.

The short version, plenty of nicks and blood, but you know what I enjoyed my shave .

The long version

Well folks this end of week has been gloomy, works been a pain and then the storm in the last two days brought in a lot of rain. Lets face it, after weeks of near to above 100 F temp in central Texas, this is nice, the temps went down but the humidity way up.

Saturday morning is a lazy event in this house. woke up at 6:30 fed the cats lied down for a while watching a few youtube videos (Hello Kirby Allison), put on some Face lotion and went for my usual 3.5 to 4 miles walk, stopped half way through it for some breakfast taco at the local taco place and went back home. Left the body temp go down before the whole grooming session.

With the temp down I look at the bar soap collection and took the Cremo Blue Cedar and Cypress out of retirement, I have been missing this smell. Opened the shower to get the hot water in , used the Marvis Strong mint toothpaste, time for a refill and on I went with the shower.

Got out of the shower applied the preshave, grabbed the goods for my $1 taco bowl lather built up before applying it. Left it on the face for a little while, while I gathered a new blade, fetched the slant out of the cabinet and got it set up. Today was gonna be a one pass slant clean up 34HD period. Reapplied some lather and on I went. Blood was drawn, razor bites felt. My first shave on a new blade is always bloody ... so was this one. Clean up the face and reapplied the lather, switched the blade to the 34HD and cleaned up the face. As one would expect the alum block session was unpleasant. After a moment only one gusher was still feeling the need to make this day bloodier than needed . I reapplied the left over lather to my face just painting it on the face and then cleaned up the face, applied the AS balm and the time it took to write this novel made me want to get the slpash on too.

Many will see this bloody shave as a failure and it might be, but the soothing relaxing time this brought me made it a winner in my book, after a few quick shave during the week a long relaxed shave and pampering session was really appreciated.

Sorry for all this rambling and enjoy your week end, now is the time to get the honey-do list taking care off and to gather a new toothpaste tube (charcoal it will be I am missing that feeling and taste lately in my routine).

GRUME August Shave 12/16 (I added a few extra everyday shave rather than every other day so there will be more)

No of Arko Shave 6

Pre Pre Shave : Neutrgena Face lotion with Sunscreen

Prep : Hot shower
Preshave : Proraso White
Brush : Proraso Boar
Soap : Stirling Soap Margaritas in the Artic
Razor : Fatip Lo Storto Chrome Slant Closed Comb WTG then Merkur HD 34 C XTG/clean up
Blade : Platinium (1)
Post : Alum Block, left other lather, Stirling Soap Margaritas in the Artic Balm mentholated and maybe the splash too in a litte while.

The short version, plenty of nicks and blood, but you know what I enjoyed my shave .

The long version

Well folks this end of week has been gloomy, works been a pain and then the storm in the last two days brought in a lot of rain. Lets face it, after weeks of near to above 100 F temp in central Texas, this is nice, the temps went down but the humidity way up.

Saturday morning is a lazy event in this house. woke up at 6:30 fed the cats lied down for a while watching a few youtube videos (Hello Kirby Allison), put on some Face lotion and went for my usual 3.5 to 4 miles walk, stopped half way through it for some breakfast taco at the local taco place and went back home. Left the body temp go down before the whole grooming session.

With the temp down I look at the bar soap collection and took the Cremo Blue Cedar and Cypress out of retirement, I have been missing this smell. Opened the shower to get the hot water in , used the Marvis Strong mint toothpaste, time for a refill and on I went with the shower.

Got out of the shower applied the preshave, grabbed the goods for my $1 taco bowl lather built up before applying it. Left it on the face for a little while, while I gathered a new blade, fetched the slant out of the cabinet and got it set up. Today was gonna be a one pass slant clean up 34HD period. Reapplied some lather and on I went. Blood was drawn, razor bites felt. My first shave on a new blade is always bloody ... so was this one. Clean up the face and reapplied the lather, switched the blade to the 34HD and cleaned up the face. As one would expect the alum block session was unpleasant. After a moment only one gusher was still feeling the need to make this day bloodier than needed . I reapplied the left over lather to my face just painting it on the face and then cleaned up the face, applied the AS balm and the time it took to write this novel made me want to get the slpash on too.

Many will see this bloody shave as a failure and it might be, but the soothing relaxing time this brought me made it a winner in my book, after a few quick shave during the week a long relaxed shave and pampering session was really appreciated.

Sorry for all this rambling and enjoy your week end, now is the time to get the honey-do list taking care off and to gather a new toothpaste tube (charcoal it will be I am missing that feeling and taste lately in my routine).
It’s hard for me to grasp why your first shave has to be bloody. Especially with all your prep work (which I would never bother with…) but if your second shave is usually bloodless, have you tried stropping/corking a fresh blade before usage?

It’s hard for me to grasp why your first shave has to be bloody. Especially with all your prep work (which I would never bother with…) but if your second shave is usually bloodless, have you tried stropping/corking a fresh blade before usage?
Some have said I am stubborn to the extreme. I have been thinking about corking my blades for a ear ... if only I drank that would make it easier to fin a cork

Top Bottom