What's new

Blackland Blackbird Ti - Satin Only Thoughts

In case you missed it or are unaware the Blackland Blackbird Titanium razors will be back in stock this Sunday August 15th at 1pm Pacific. The thing is that they are Only available from now on (unless sales plummet I guess) in a satin finish. Polished finish versions are no longer available.

What are your thoughts? How do you feel about this? Personally, I don't yet own one though I definitely want one and will own one at some point. My thought is that I would prefer a shiny polished finish over any other.

Here is the text from the body of the email I received:

They say you shouldn't mess with success. I don't know who "they" are, but I'm glad they don't work here.

The Blackbird Titanium is a great razor. It's a bestseller and one of our most in-demand products. It's a success. But we messed with it anyway. (And we made it even better.)

From now on, the Blackbird Titanium will be offered in a satin finish. It's elegant, smooth, and consistent. And it feels incredible on the skin. It's everything you want in a razor's finish.

We might bring back the polished finish in a limited capacity in the future. For now, we're all-in on satin.

The satin finish is a delicate media-blasted finish. To get it just right, we tested a lot of different media and pressures. We wound up with something perfect. It glimmers in the right light. It looks stately in any setting. And if you look just close enough, there's the faintest hint of machine marks on a couple of select surfaces - an Easter egg that nods to the finish we're leaving behind.

The satin finish has a real presence that is deserving of the Blackbird Titanium. We know you're going to absolutely love it.

And this Sunday, you can be one of the very first to experience the new Blackbird Titanium.

There was also a link to a video from Shane talking about this change where he shows off the new satin finish. There's also a video on the Blackland site that shows it as well.

I think the satin finish looks great. But, I also lean more to matte finishes. I am hoping it reads a little darker in person but various lighting and ambient conditions always influence metal finishes. And in complete contradiction to that, I actually prefer the Blackbird SS in its polished form.

I’m not the biggest fan of a polished finish, so I think the new finish looks excellent! I will likely own it at some point though not in this release.

From what I’ve read recently it sounds like they will still be offering the machined version in the future as well. I think the machined is actually quite nice and visually striking in person.

I am also quite interested in some of the anodizing Shane has been experimenting with. I have to say polished would truly be at the bottom of a finish I would seek to purchase especially considering I already own one version. I will gladly choose machined over polished any day. But again that’s very personal.

Curious what others think.

Edit: also curious of the cost of the new finish. Have not seen a price yet.

Last edited:
I’m not the biggest fan of a polished finish, so I think the new finish looks excellent! I will likely own it at some point though not in this release.

From what I’ve read recently it sounds like they will still be offering the machined version in the future as well. I think the machined is actually quite nice and visually striking in person.

I am also quite interested in some of the anodizing Shane has been experimenting with. I have to say polished would truly be at the bottom of a finish I would seek to purchase especially considering I already own one version. I will gladly choose machined over polished any day. But again that’s very personal.

Curious what others think.

Edit: also curious of the cost of the new finish. Have not seen a price yet.
Where can I see some of the "anodizing Shane has been experimenting with"? I love anodizing so this is very intriguing to me.

It looks like the satin Ti is $320 according to the site.

I'm also curious, what version do you currently own?

Last edited:
@KMF79 On the Blackland Instagram Shane was “heat treating” some Ti Birds a few weeks ago. And recently in another thread made this post.

We don't have an ETA. Polished is going on a hiatus until we can make it better and/or until we can make it more easily. It just really, really sucks to do and you still can't get the same results as stainless steel. It's distinctly possible that the polished finish will only return occasionally in a limited capacity. That's TBD. Anodizing will probably be here first.

I'm also curious, what version do you currently own?
I own the machined version.

Todays shave: 07AE7358-2023-4DB8-A1A3-8B6224AD9082.jpeg

On the Blackland Instagram Shane was “heat treating” some Ti Birds a few weeks ago. And recently in another thread made this post.
Right on. Thanks for that. I'll take a look on IG.

Depending on the colors offered, my hand may be forced on an anodized Blackbird.

I’ll clear up a few things quickly.

Satin finish only for now. Polished finish might return in some limited capacity in the future. Titanium just doesn’t polish very well and it’s extremely hard to do. So even the best titanium polish doesn’t stack up to a stainless polish, but it takes much more time. Frankly, we really hate doing it and the results aren’t good enough to outweigh how much it sucks to do. We’re going to be working on that finish and it might come back in some form if we can get it right.

We’re still playing with anodizing (via heat and electricity). No ETA on that just yet. Other finishes are also in the pipeline and we’ll share more on those as they progress.

I’ll clear up a few things quickly.

Satin finish only for now. Polished finish might return in some limited capacity in the future. Titanium just doesn’t polish very well and it’s extremely hard to do. So even the best titanium polish doesn’t stack up to a stainless polish. We’re going to be working on that and it might come back in some form if we can get it right.

We’re still playing with anodizing (via heat and electricity). No ETA on that just yet. Other finishes are also in the pipeline and we’ll share more on those as they progress.
You have me super excited. The thought of that beautiful rainbow coloring from heat treating, solid colors from anodizing and whatever "other finishes" are, has my heart racing.

If I'm being honest, purple is my favorite color so the heat treated or (possibly) anodized purple would blow my mind. I also really like a good deep green ;)

Thanks for clarifying the subject on the polished finish for the titanium Blackbird.

I can’t wrap my head around a $320 razor. My most expensive razor cost $17 and it shaves wonderfully. I have a ball-handle Tech that gives a perfect shave everytime and cost me $0. I’ll never understand the urge to spend exorbitant sums on a simple razor. But that’s just me.

I can’t wrap my head around a $320 razor. My most expensive razor cost $17 and it shaves wonderfully. I have a ball-handle Tech that gives a perfect shave everytime and cost me $0. I’ll never understand the urge to spend exorbitant sums on a simple razor. But that’s just me.

You are blessed...I worry about you being exposed to all this profligacy though.
Stay strong and all the best!

I also haven't paid $320 for a razor (yet), but some of us are just getting too deep into this hobbie and we buy what we want. If you really think about it, $320 for a razor that can last a lifetime isn't that much. For instance, even the most basic smartphone will cost you at least $300 and it would be a miracle if you can use it after 5 years let alone 10 or a lifetime and that's just one of the countless examples. The other thing is that most people earn at least $10 an hour, so buying a razor for $320 is like working a few days for it and you can use it a lifetime.

Fair enough :)

I do not play guitar
While I can not hear the difference of a $50 guitar or a $500 let alone $5000 I know some or many folks can so me not being able to hear the difference does not mean its not there !

And many will have their fav and its not as much about cost as finding that favorite item that you love to use sometimes its not about being the best but being a heirloom or they like certain guitars from certain generations or styles or companies or even sound

I can appreciate anyones preference ;) but to make that comparison I think you can only do so after owning both and using both extensively
and if they have had and owned both and found their fav cool !

Last edited:
The new Blackbird Ti finish looks great in the pictures. I think the machined version looked great too. Would probably have to see and feel the new one in person to form a preference, and I’m happy with the one I have and not looking to replace it. The new finish looks good enough to still be tempting, though.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who gets the new finish whether it improves the way the razor glides on the skin.

I am also curious as I only have a couple machine or non polished razors and they seem to have a touch more drag or suction or ???? for me Not sure if its the insane hard water or the finish (Henson Yates and Rex A incase anyone was curious)

without seeing in person I do wonder if this will be smooth enough to feel like a polished but not be one :) that would be cool as I do love the machine looking finishes also
excited to try one my only fear is will it be a touch to aggressive for my liking

Top Bottom