What's new

B.O.S.S. Brotherhood of Slant Shavers

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
The 37G is Razorock's take on the Merkur slant, it is still available (and is a very good razor)

The "G37" is an abbreviation for RazoRock's "German 37."

"37G" is the abbreviation for the gold-plated Merkur 37.

And yes, they're kinda rare. Or at least discontinued a few years ago, I hear. I believe you can still get a 34G, but if you're on the hunt for a 37G, better pack a lunch.

O.H.

Old Hippie

Jeez. Missing days left and right...

SOTD: Tuesday May 17, 2022
Razor: Konsul
Blade: Astra SP (6)
Brush: Omega
Soap: OH Peppermint Trip

Somewhere some stars lined up; it was a lovely shave. I notice that happens fairly often with the Konsul. I keep thinking I oughta give it a rest and use some of my other fine razors, but well...it's there, and the blade's there, and I just pick it up and use it.

O.H.

Hoffritz!

KIMG0197.JPG

IMG_20220521_110434533.jpg

For my 3rd shave with the Yaqi Slant, I double stacked my DE blade, by snapping the blade in half in the wrapper & inserted the 2 blade halves on top of each other on one side of the razor. Double stacking helped me to reduce blade chatter & increase blade rigidity along with blade stability inside the head cap by adding more pressure. I also used the light aluminum Lord L5 handle to let the head weight do the shaving without the added weight of my RR HD handle. By making the razor lighter on the back end with more weight on the front end I had greater maneuverability, felt good in the hand, & was easier for me to maintain a LIGHT TOUCH for this Hyper Aggressive razor. The Yaqi Slant easily mowed down 4 days of growth on 3 passes. Efficient BBS result. No bloodshed. No drama. Great Shave!

Baby Got Gap - 1.14mm gap
IMG_20220521_112724449.jpg
IMG_20220521_111945559.jpg

Razor:
Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant 💀
Blade: KCG blade (1) Double Stacked
Brush: Je&Co Synthetic Brush 24mm Extra Dense Knot
Pre-Shave: CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser Bar, Cremo Classic Shave Cream
Soap: Pedro Fiasco Pomegranate & Wood by Ariana & Evans
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger After Shave, Gold Bond Pure Moisture Lotion
Growth: 93 hours
Passes: WTG, XTG, ATG
Rating: 10/10

Old Hippie

SOTD: Monday May 23, 2022
Razor: Rex Konsul, if you can imagine that...
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Brush: Omega 10005
Soap: OH Peppermint Trip

Prior to this shave I was thinking over the magisterial analysis @luvmysuper posted lately on the long-lasting BBS. Since I've been using the Konsul I've noticed that my shaves tend to last longer, or at least that's what I observe. By which I mean, with most other razors I am definitely ready for another shave two days after (or three because of usually shaving M-W-F). But three days after using the Konsul feels more or less like two days after using most of my other razors.

I've also noticed that I do more passes with the Konsul than with for instance the Wunderbar, yet I have less irritation in general. My main source of irritation is a place on my right side where the hair "whorls" or grows in several different directions. Going over that twice plus a careful targeted cleanup with the WB sometimes gets a little close to the bone. Irritated but smooth, first day anyway and that's one of the reasons why I can't use the WB more than three days in a row.

With the Konsul I can dial the gap down for my ATG pass and go over that area once, then dial the gap up a bit and go over it again. This gives me less irritation in that one spot and a smoother shave experience overall. I really enjoy that. I'd stayed away from adjustables for several reasons. Most of them are just plain DEs, which is fine but I'm not too engaged by that. I also suspected that if I had an adjustable I'd pretty quickly find that one setting that worked, and after that it could just as easily be a non-adjustable. Economic decision, I guess you'd say, which is to say I'm basically cheap. (Yeah, right, says the guy who laid $350 for an adjustable...)

I can admit I was wrong. I just don't, very often. :) I'm like a kid behind the wheel of his first twin-stick truck: running the gears, double-clutching, hitting the splits, double-shifts, everything but over the shoulder with a mirror while swinging from the chandelier.

It just keeps getting better.

O.H.

While I was out on lunch, I stopped into a local downtown mom and pop store that I had been meaning to check out for the past couple of weeks; they looked like they might carry "dude stuff", and I was right. I almost fell over laughing when I noticed that the only razors they had on display were slants!:

KIMG0207.JPG
KIMG0208.JPG
KIMG0209.JPG
KIMG0210.JPG
KIMG0211.JPG
KIMG0212.JPG
KIMG0214_01_BURST1000214_COVER.JPG

I've never heard of the company, and don't know who makes the head, but I look forward to shaving with it, anyway. I also picked up a couple of locally made shave soaps:

KIMG0215.JPG

They both smell fantastic, but I'll have to wait a bit to see how well they lather.

Just some random little shop, and the only razors they had were a couple of unique looking slants. Awesome.

IMG_20220531_084239676_HDR.jpg

I always shave with a light touch & don't over shave for the baby. The Sharp Titanium blade, a rising star, continues to excel. RazoRock XXX Italian Shaving Soap. Bellissimo! Tallow based soap is easy to lather, very good lubrication & cushion. Cold water bowl lathered with Frank Shaving 2-Band Manchurian Finest Badger Brush. Whipped up droopy moist lather with a waggle (wagging tail) when you hold the brush upside down. Good post shave feel & great clean fresh scent. Smooth & close DFS result with my first slant razor, the RazoRock German 37 Slant with HD handle. No bloodshed. No drama. Very good shave!

Top Bottom