What's new

Balms! Non-alcohol aftershaves.

Fitjar Islands makes good balms.
I use Trumpers Skin Food as a pre shave, but when it is gone it will not be replaced.

The verdict is in and the Power Stick ASB has been added to my travel kit. I filled a small TSA-approved pump bottle (also from Dollar Tree) with the balm and tossed it in my toiletry bag. I try to limit my travel gear to items that won't be missed and/or are easily replaced. I like to think if I left my shaving kit in my room after check-out, I would only go back for it if I were still in the hotel parking lot. I usually pack a cartridge razor, soap stick, and an inexpensive but good synthetic brush. And now I have an inexpensive but good alcohol-free balm to give my on-the-road shaves the finishing touch. Thanks again @JesseL26

Last edited:
My face doesn't tolerate most lotions, creams or balms, but one exception is the Aveda pure-formance. You use a super small amount (I made a tiny sample bottle last forever) and it covers well without feeling waxy or sticky or greasy. I like the smell too, although it would be more versatile if it were unscented and I could double up with an alcohol splash. Doesn't leave my face itchy, hot and red like most products.

The verdict is in and the Power Stick ASB has been added to my travel kit. I filled a small TSA-approved pump bottle (also from Dollar Tree) with the balm and tossed it in my toiletry bag. I try to limit my travel gear to items that won't be missed and/or are easily replaced. I like to think if I left my shaving kit in my room after check-out, I would only go back for it if I were still in the hotel parking lot. I usually pack a cartridge razor, soap stick, and an inexpensive but good synthetic brush. And now I have an inexpensive but good alcohol-free balm to give my on-the-road shaves the finishing touch. Thanks again @JesseL26
No problem any time. Although the after shave is still good I did notice with my latest one that they added ''fragrance'' in the ingredients which it did not have before. You could only smell the peppermint back with the old formula. Also it seems a tad more watered down but still good none the less.

Reactions: bjm
I absolutely love Barrister and Mann's Barrister's Reserve Cool. After I shave I put this balm on and I feel actually clean. Plus, the soft scent does not overpower anyone's nose around me, yet it lasts for many hours.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Based on suggestions here I placed another order from Smallflower (Q Brothers/Merz)

I’m looking forward to trying all these!

7E4E6869-8904-4DF2-94CC-D75066EE94B4.jpeg

Most balms seem to be alcohol free which makes shipping easier.

More splash like, lucky tiger and stirling Whitehall hazel.

I had very bad luck with their shave soap several years ago, but if the balm has the same scent, I may have to get it.
Reminds me of The Handmade Soap Company.

The soap was awful but the balm was awesome. It was like the RR Wax consistency but well before they were even a thought.

Handmade Soap Company AS Wax. very nice, but I'm almost out of it. :001_unsur not sure what happened to these guys on here, they took a beating on their soap (it SUCKED), but their AS was incredible.

View attachment 280529

I've been enjoying this thread and the information provided; thanks to all of you who have contributed. As I continue my shaving journey with different razor/blade combinations, I find that not every shave is a great shave. There is still the occasional nick or sometimes just a harsh shave that doesn't reveal itself until the aftershave is applied. Because I've come to realize I'm just not a fan of the burn, I can now better appreciate the calming effect of a splash of witch hazel followed by an alcohol-free balm. Better days ahead...

My go-to balm is Proraso Blue, but Imperial Barber After-Shave Balm would be my second choice.

I've only used it a few times since it arrived this weekend, but I've been pleasantly surprised by Lea 3-in-1 Sensitive Skin Aftershave Balm. Allantoin and a touch of menthol are among its advantages. The menthol was a surprise when I first used it - a momentary cool shock - but it was not overwhelming and I've learned to really enjoy it.

What kind of scent does the Lea 3-1 balm have? I've been thinking about giving it a try.

What kind of scent does the Lea 3-1 balm have? I've been thinking about giving it a try.
I had to pull it out and try a little to answer. It's not a scent found in nature (e.g., lemon). I'd describe it as an oceanic scent with a little citrus. I'm picking up a little menthol/eucalyptus at the end. The fact that I had to take a whiff in order to tell you is some indication of how unobtrusive it is. It disappears quickly.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I trust @Marco implicitly, but would like your take too, JJ. I’m almost out of Lucky Tiger (also excellent).

Review here - Toothpick's Never-Ending Aftershave Reviews - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/toothpicks-never-ending-aftershave-reviews.619647/#post-11642615

@Marco - It’s a keeper! I think with a bit of a stronger scent (just a personal preference) I would rate the Hawkins & Brimble tied with the Duke Cannon. Overall I’m happy and will be keeping it in rotation.

Top Bottom