What's new

Balms! Non-alcohol aftershaves.

I’ve been using Trumper’s Sandalwood SF for a while. I like it, and a little goes a long way, I’m guessing due to the glycerin. +1 on AoS, but I can’t justify $20/oz.

Any recommendations for a woodsy/earthy balm?

@Moose L'Occitane Cade is real nice and easy to find. I've also used Trumpers Skin Food and the sandlewood is also nice. I find the "stickiness" that many refer to as quite transient and is gone as soon as it dries... and frankly I notice on my hands more than i do on my face.

Have to add in my current favorite -- plus they're local. (For me, at least.)

Wet Shaving Products. Keeps my skin moisturized and doesn't cause any flakes a day or two after use. Nice, light smell.

I've only tried their "Barbershop" version so far, but also have their face soap and their Barbershop aftershave. Love them all.

Try HC&C. That is the balm that converted me from being a splash guy to a balm guy. It does a tremendous job in healing the skin after a BBS shave.

If you're looking for a store-brand type product, I highly recommend Prep "Derma Protective" cream.

I’ve been using Trumper’s Sandalwood SF for a while. I like it, and a little goes a long way, I’m guessing due to the glycerin. +1 on AoS, but I can’t justify $20/oz.

Any recommendations for a woodsy/earthy balm?
Trumper's Sandalwood Skin Food is my favorite too, it's just so different from everything else. Fantastic delicate sandalwood smell and absorbs quickly. No kidding a little goes a long way - my 100 ml bottle from about 8-10 years ago is finally running out. Anyone know if it's been reformulated recently? I was thinking of picking up a new one.

+1 for both B&M and Zingari balms. Some of the best aftershaves sized up to anything in my book.

Sudsy Soapery makes some nice (and pretty affordable) alcohol free balms as well.
You know I use B&M soaps for the most part and was looking to try a balm but years ago I tried some GFT balm and thought it was disgusting being sticky as can be and turned me off from balms.

In revisiting balms I looked at the ingredients of both B&M and Zingari and noticed Zingari has witch haze in it which I like but B&M does not. How do they both lay down? Do they readily absorb or do they leave any residue? I do also like the act that zingari has a fragrance free version so as not to clash with my normal aftershave.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Try HC&C. That is the balm that converted me from being a splash guy to a balm guy. It does a tremendous job in healing the skin after a BBS shave.

If you're looking for a store-brand type product, I highly recommend Prep "Derma Protective" cream.
What is HC&C

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Just ordered the Hawkins & Brimble balm and shave cream. Plus have about 10 balms in my cart between Amazon and Smallflower

In revisiting balms I looked at the ingredients of both B&M and Zingari and noticed Zingari has witch haze in it which I like but B&M does not. How do they both lay down? Do they readily absorb or do they leave any residue? I do also like the act that zingari has a fragrance free version so as not to clash with my normal aftershave.
I've never tried any GFT products. I do admit that I generally like balms (in addition to splashes), and I haven't met one that I really didn't like.

Zingari dries very cleanly and is not sticky or gummy on the skin. Very light feeling. B&M is a little more dense, and has a bit of a different feel - maybe a little more moist, but not sticky.

I would recommend Zingari first. I agree this seems to be a great Unscented candidate for you.

I've never tried any GFT products. I do admit that I generally like balms (in addition to splashes), and I haven't met one that I really didn't like.

Zingari dries very cleanly and is not sticky or gummy on the skin. Very light feeling. B&M is a little more dense, and has a bit of a different feel - maybe a little more moist, but not sticky.

I would recommend Zingari first. I agree this seems to be a great Unscented candidate for you.

Thanks for the input. I am going to grab some zingari and give it a go. I will grab a sample of it next time I order from Maggards.

After reading this thread last October --> Neutrogena Hydro-Boost Gel-Cream, I gave it a try. Until something else comes along that's better, this is my number 1 post shave product. My skin feels great and I've experimented with and without using Neutrogena to make sure I actually could feel a difference post shave. This small 1.7oz jar lasted me about ten weeks as you only need a small amount.

NHB.jpg

After reading this thread last October --> Neutrogena Hydro-Boost Gel-Cream, I gave it a try. Until something else comes along that's better, this is my number 1 post shave product. My skin feels great and I've experimented with and without using Neutrogena to make sure I actually could feel a difference post shave. This small 1.7oz jar lasted me about ten weeks as you only need a small amount.

View attachment 1402541

YUP been using up some of my balms cause I am stupid or cheap or a combo :) hahahaha
but NOTHING Works like this stuff after some AS splash !!!!

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
If you like the scent of ToBS sandalwood they have an alcohol free shaving gel that contains witch hazel. It smells exactly like the soap and the scent hangs around for a while but isn't overpowering. It's a bit costly at around £8 for 75ml but a little goes a long way.

Top Bottom