What's new

Balms! Non-alcohol aftershaves.

I am currently using these and like them all:
  • L'Occitaine
  • Proraso ASB
  • Neutrogena Triple Protect
  • D.R. Harris

As a lotion, I don’t think anything can beat Lucky Tiger. I can count on it to rescue my worse shaves. It has a fleeting citrus scent, leaves the face feeling pampered and ready to receive the balm of your choice.

For balms, I second the Pre de Provence 63 recommendation that’s currently in your Amazon cart. Another PdP balm is Bergamot & Thyme; same excellent properties as the 63 but with a mild outdoorsy scent. Finally, if you like the smell of Sandalwood, consider the Art of Shave Sandalwood balm; a bit pricy but an excellent product.
I use both PdP balms in rotation. They are both terrific.

Just over the border in Germany, one can get pretty decent stuff for very little money. DM drug store has it's own brand "Balea". The Q10 and sensitive variants are the ones I use.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Another one I really like is from L'Oreal Men Expert, Hydra Energetic

proxy.php

Believe it or not the best balm after shave that I've ever used and I've used high end brands before, Is the Dollar Tree Power Stick Brand after shave balm. It smells like peppermint, and it has a lot of healing/soothing properties, It is very thick and made in the U.S.A. It is a lot better than the Every Man Jack brand one and than the Shick one, Most of the higher end ones that I've tried smell like cheap lotion and with barely any menthol.

Here it is, the shave gel sucks though but the after shave is a gem at least to me for a $1.25.

I’ve tried a bunch. My favs are Speick, Baume.be, and Rockwell. Speick has some alcohol in it, but it’s unnoticeable compared to a splash.

Believe it or not the best balm after shave that I've ever used and I've used high end brands before, Is the Dollar Tree Power Stick Brand after shave balm. It smells like peppermint, and it has a lot of healing/soothing properties, It is very thick and made in the U.S.A. It is a lot better than the Every Man Jack brand one and than the Shick one, Most of the higher end ones that I've tried smell like cheap lotion and with barely any menthol.

Here it is, the shave gel sucks though but the after shave is a gem at least to me for a $1.25.

I didn't believe you. Okay, I didn't want to believe you :)

Power Stick ASB.jpg

So, I went out and bought some to try for myself. I'll start using it tomorrow and add it to my shaving kit for next week. And with the cheapskate challenge hopefully starting in a few weeks, I figured it would be a nice low-cost addition for the month of April. The only knock so far is it's slightly above the TSA 3.4 ounce limit for a liquid carry-on item; so when the time comes, the best I will be able to award will be 4 out of 5 stars :) Thanks for the tip, @JesseL26

I didn't believe you. Okay, I didn't want to believe you :)

View attachment 1397810

So, I went out and bought some to try for myself. I'll start using it tomorrow and add it to my shaving kit for next week. And with the cheapskate challenge hopefully starting in a few weeks, I figured it would be a nice low-cost addition for the month of April. The only knock so far is it's slightly above the TSA 3.4 ounce limit for a liquid carry-on item; so when the time comes, the best I will be able to award will be 4 out of 5 stars :) Thanks for the tip, @JesseL26
No problem let us know what you think.

Reactions: bjm
No problem let us know what you think.
It's still early, but my first use of the product was a good experience. I admit my nose isn't as sensitive as it once was, but what scent I did manage to pick up was pleasant. The balm absorbed quickly and did not feel greasy at all. As stated earlier, I plan to continue using the balm daily throughout the week but I like it so far. My wife (whose nose is much more sensitive than mine) has already expressed her approval.

I also picked up a travel-size pump bottle while at Dollar Tree and will be transferring the contents of the Power Stick balm for travel next month; we'll see how it holds up against a mid-west winter day. I prefer the pump bottle to the squeeze flip-top because it allows me to better control the portions for each use. More to follow...

Just got this yesterday. I think I’ll use it today
I'll just mention that, while it's hard too explain how much I use exactly, it's a very thick balm out of the bottle and a little bit goes a long way. A small squeeze that fits on the tip of my finger is enough for my whole face.

Top Bottom