What's new

Balms! Non-alcohol aftershaves.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
They do - but it is time to switch out the balms for the menthols .. sad state when there's no r oom and you have to start seasonal rotations of A/S's

Jason @Toothpick there's a gem from England called Hawkins & Brimble Post Shave Balm. One of the finest I've ever used in almost 30 years of wet shaving. Enough said.

Looks great @Marco! I’m surprised you’ve chosen a product from the UK rather than something from Italy, which speaks volumes to its quality. Could you provide some more details about this product and comparisons to Proraso (for example)?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Looks great @Marco! I’m surprised you’ve chosen a product from the UK rather than something from Italy, which speaks volumes to its quality. Could you provide some more details about this product and comparisons to Proraso (for example)?
Sir, a quality product is a quality product - it really does not matter where it comes from. In my den I have plenty of high-end stuff coming not only from Italy, but also from France, England, Austria, Spain, Portugal, Canada and many more countries.

Now, Hawkins & Brimble is my all-time favourite balm and for several good reasons:

1. It has a simple formula with natural ingredients.
2. It is extremely moisturizing and protective.
3. It leaves skin silky soft without any oily residue.
4. It's basically fragrance-free, so it does not interfere with any cologne applied afterwards.
5. It is placed in a very reasonable price point.

Sir, a quality product is a quality product - it really does not matter where it comes from. In my den I have plenty of high-end stuff coming not only from Italy, but also from France, England, Austria, Spain, Portugal, Canada and many more countries.

Now, Hawkins & Brimble is my all-time favourite balm and for several good reasons:

4. It's basically fragrance-free, so it does not interfere with any cologne applied afterwards.
I wholehearted agree with your approach to using products on their merits, rather than their origin.

At the moment I am using an American razor, Russian blades, a German brush, and Italian soap!

I appreciate your experienced and educated opinion, and I have now purchased some to trial. I’m looking forward to adding an English product back to my routine! :)

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I wholehearted agree with your approach to using products on their merits, rather than their origin.

At the moment I am using an American razor, Russian blades, a German brush, and Italian soap!

I appreciate your experienced and educated opinion, and I have now purchased some to trial. I’m looking forward to adding an English product back to my routine! :)
The elegance and good manners you show are exactly what we desire and appreciate here on Badger & Blade, the hallmark of our beloved community. We like to maintain very high standards, simply put this is the finest place on the internet, reserved for the finest Gentlemen all over the globe. So, thank you wholeheartedly Sir. :thumbup1:

The elegance and good manners you show are exactly what we desire and appreciate here on Badger & Blade, the hallmark of our beloved community. We like to maintain very high standards, simply put this is the finest place on the internet, reserved for the finest Gentlemen all over the globe. So, thank you wholeheartedly Sir. :thumbup1:
Do you still use an aftershave splash with the H&B aftershave balm?

The antiseptic and astringent effects of an aftershave would be better *before* a balm, but for scent longevity it would be better *after* the balm.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Do you still use an aftershave splash with the H&B aftershave balm?

The antiseptic and astringent effects of an aftershave would be better *before* a balm, but for scent longevity it would be better *after* the balm.
No, Sir. For me it's either splash or balm. Whatever I decide to use afterwards the Alum Block is my first post shave procedure, always. Hence, it's Alum Block + splash or Alum Block + balm. As a general rule I prefer splashes in the hot summer season and balms in the cold winter months.

No, Sir. For me it's either splash or balm. Whatever I decide to use afterwards the Alum Block is my first post shave procedure, always. Hence, it's Alum Block + splash or Alum Block + balm. As a general rule I prefer splashes in the hot summer season and balms in the cold winter months.
Thanks Marco! I appreciate your advice. I now have some Hawkins and Brimble balm in my possession for my next shave, on your recommendation. :)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
After reading this thread last October --> Neutrogena Hydro-Boost Gel-Cream, I gave it a try. Until something else comes along that's better, this is my number 1 post shave product. My skin feels great and I've experimented with and without using Neutrogena to make sure I actually could feel a difference post shave. This small 1.7oz jar lasted me about ten weeks as you only need a small amount.

View attachment 1402541
I read the same thread and ordered some. I was using Executive Shaving Co. Intensive Moisturizing Balm... it's great but I have to say, I like the Neutrogena better. Let me put it this way.. I ordered two of the ESC balm... loved it until I tried the Neutrogena Hydro Boost.... same one in your photo.

I've been meaning to try out the ESC balm again to compare.... but I can't seem to motivate myself to do so. It's just that good.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu

I've been using Clinique Moisturizer for Men for many years now, but if Marco says this is good stuff what can you do? So I purchased some.

It's really nice. I've been using it for about a week and I'm not sure if it's better than the Clinique (very similar results), but it's a slightly larger tube at about half the price. So I expect I'll be stocking up on this H&B.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’m feeling the itch again. So anymore suggestions here? I found some really good ones last time.

Top Bottom