What's new

Balms! Non-alcohol aftershaves.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Dear Jason @Toothpick this is another winner in my book.

20211013_115933.jpg

No one has mentioned the Stirling balms. Many scents, with or without menthol. I’m using Varen without menthol. A light squeeze on the container puts an almond-size dollop on my hand. It’s enough to rub all over my face, ears, neck, and bald head. Nice, slight tingle going on. Feels a bit waxy at first, but that fades in a few minutes, and my skin feels soothed and awake. Scent is woodsy and very light. What’s not to like?

If'n you were headed straight to bed, I think this stuff would be perfect.

Didn't they use goose fat back in the day? Lol, the smell might ruin your love life, but at least your skin would be smoooooth.
Pretty sure Alfalfa used it in Little Rascals. He was Petey’s favorite.

Crabtree and Evelyn used to make an exquisite balm (with shake butter) when they still had brick and mortar stores.

ive owned the West Indian Lime and Nomad scents and I remember I used to slather that stuff on my face because it smelled and felt amazing. Has anyone tried their latest AS balm? It’s a green bottle and just has one scent.

Probably because
My bad. Sorry. The Stirling still good stuff, though.

BUT, if I had to choose one balm forever—now that Institut Karite AS balm is discontinued—it would be either PdP original or T&H Ultimate Comfort. Close runner ups would be Nancy Boy Signature and Myrsol Emulsion.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Used Seville balm this morning - first use of any B&M product. The strong scent immediately softened, with subtleties of orange and lavender. Later in the morning, I kept rubbing a smooth chin, one of my signs of a great shave and a great skin conditioner.

I would rank this up with favorites Pre de Provence No. 63 and Proraso Aloe & Vitamin E.

95A8FFC3-7EA7-41B5-BEEA-33F96C4C42DE.jpeg

I ended getting a sample of the Zingari unscented sego balm and I do have to say I was highly impressed with it. Nice clean quick drying balm that has left a nice soft face all day. I will probably have to break down and buy a full size bottle next soap order. It will be in rotation with my Thayers WH and Nuetrogena cream method posted about in another thread.

maggards london barbershop non-alcohol balm is one of the greatest products of all time. clean ingredient list, comes in a glass bottle, smells sublime, and has a 'milky' appearance when you shake up the bottle before applying. elite

This thread has been a bad influence. It made me order a bunch of balms, to see whether they would beat my go-to Nivea Extra Sensitive.

I thought it would be easy to sort that out, but it has not been. They're pretty much all good, since they all came from recommendations on this thread. So I am doing a first pass, and will do the real sorting later.

Discoveries so far:

Lucky Tiger somehow messed with my desire to try one balm each day. I just kept wanting to use it, and I could not explain why. Some of the others seem higher-quality, richer. But that Lucky Tiger just draws me in.

Today I tried one with a blindingly British name, Hawkins & Brimble (Elemi and Ginseng). I don't know what Elemi is, but I do know, and like, ginseng. This is really good stuff, with a subdued but rewarding scent that suits me very well. Amazingly soft face feel for hours afterwards. I'm going to take my time deciding, but this might be The One.

And yet, I know I'm going to keep using Lucky Tiger, and keeping it around. And I do have a few more to try.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Well, Up here I use the balms of a wintertime, not so much summer. I'm voting for Myrsol

i was super close to purchasing hawkins and brimble balm until i came across one component in its ingredient list. amazingly it includes butylphenyl methylpropional (also known as lillial), which was recently banned in the EU for being toxic in regards to fertility:

my advise to the B&B community.......always read the ingredients list.

I need a few more balms!
20220319_170335.jpg

Recently did a restock of Em's Place Bay Rum balm, and two other fragrance trials; Lavender and Balancing. Here's the ingredient list from the bay rum:
20220319_170418.jpg

This stuff's a good bargain, comparatively speaking on a fluid volume level, and the pump dispenses just the right amount. You don't need much. In my opinion, unbeatable in the calming, soothing category.

Top Bottom