What's new

Balms! Non-alcohol aftershaves.

speick +1. Lavera wasn't mentioned yet, not sure if it is sold in the us.

earlier I used the Yves Rocher balm, not bad either. (the one in the white bottle, looks like now they sell the balm in a black tube.)

Last edited:
It's still early, but my first use of the product was a good experience. I admit my nose isn't as sensitive as it once was, but what scent I did manage to pick up was pleasant. The balm absorbed quickly and did not feel greasy at all. As stated earlier, I plan to continue using the balm daily throughout the week but I like it so far. My wife (whose nose is much more sensitive than mine) has already expressed her approval.

I also picked up a travel-size pump bottle while at Dollar Tree and will be transferring the contents of the Power Stick balm for travel next month; we'll see how it holds up against a mid-west winter day. I prefer the pump bottle to the squeeze flip-top because it allows me to better control the portions for each use. More to follow...
Yeah it doesn't have much of a smell, At most I smell some peppermint since it has peppermint oil in the ingredients and a tad of sandalwood.

Reactions: bjm
dollar Yeah it doesn't have much of a smell, At most I smell some peppermint since it has peppermint oil in the ingredients and a tad of sandalwood.
Picked up a tube, seems to be pretty good. No sticky residue, or harsh smell. My dollar tree just became dollar and a quarter tree. I know its only a quarter but still depressing.

My go to has always been the Nivea sensitive cool balm, but since the quality has dropped once i'm done with the 4 bottles that I have left, I would pick something else. I've heard that the Proraso balms are nice, but it's not a good idea to buy a lot of them a once, since they go bad within 2 years or so according to some folks.

My go to has always been the Nivea sensitive cool balm, but since the quality has dropped once i'm done with the 4 bottles that I have left, I would pick something else. I've heard that the Proraso balms are nice, but it's not a good idea to buy a lot of them a once, since they go bad within 2 years or so according to some folks.
Do you happen to know if the unopened bottles of Proraso balm been reported as going bad?

I've only used it a few times since it arrived this weekend, but I've been pleasantly surprised by Lea 3-in-1 Sensitive Skin Aftershave Balm. Allantoin and a touch of menthol are among its advantages. The menthol was a surprise when I first used it - a momentary cool shock - but it was not overwhelming and I've learned to really enjoy it.

A few recommendations:

- Hawkins and Brimble Elemi and Ginseng
- L'Occitane After Shave Balms (Comes in L'Occitan, Cade and Eau des Baux scents)
- L'Occitane After Shave Gel Cream (Comes in Cap Cedrat and Eau De Cedrat scents)
- Body Shop Maca Root & Aloe Post-Shave Water-Gel
- Truefitt and Hill Aftershave Balms (various scents)
- Arran Lochranza and Machrie Afterhsave balms
- Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet Aftershave Balm (expensive but in my opinion it's scent is unbeatable)

I like this stuff in dry skin season.

45C31350-A1CB-40C1-8405-7F3237AD23CF.jpeg

Do you happen to know if the unopened bottles of Proraso balm been reported as going bad?

It's probably only for the opened bottles, since I doubt that any of those guys would hoard and buy more than 1 Proraso balm. One of the guys told me that the scent changes as well as the color and it turns a bit yellow. Those balms should last at least 1 year, but it also depends where the bottle is stored. Direct sunlight and heat might damage the balm.

Castle Forbes balms were great years ago, but I’m unsure about any formulation changes since then. Same goes for Geo. F. Trumper‘s skin foods. Nancy Boy currently produces some nice balms and are worth checking out.

Top Bottom