What's new

Diary (& questions) of a relative newbie

Personna Platinum (1st), TOBS sandalwood cream, no AS

2 passes, excellent shave.
My very first experience with this Personna blade. I've been searching for the right words to describe the feeling. Like the blade is eager to get to work, biting at the hairs. Agressive. That's the word I've been looking for. Not agressively cutting my face up, but very stern focus on the job to be done.
Not sure yet if I like this blade. Even though it did a very fine job.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm always curious how long products last. So I'm keeping track of the number of times I've used soaps/creams. Current status:
TOBS sandalwood cream: 32
Palmolive Men Classic stick : 25
Wilkinson puck (blue tub) : 25
Proraso Red soap : 25
Tabac soap (glass jar): 26

Personna Platinum (2nd), TOBS sandalwood cream, Nivea Sensitive Balm

Not much left of the agressiveness I witnessed yesterday. Just a nice blade doing a perfect job.

I'm always curious how long products last. So I'm keeping track of the number of times I've used soaps/creams. Current status:
TOBS sandalwood cream: 33

Personna Platinum (3rd), TOBS sandalwood cream, Proraso Red AS

TOBS sandalwood cream: 34

Personna Platinum (4th), TOBS sandalwood cream, Nivea Sensitive balm

TOBS sandalwood cream: 35

Polsilver Super iridium (1st), Palmolive stick, Pitralon classic AS

Very first encounter with Polsilver. I rather like it. It feels sharp, it's rather noisy. But no red spots, no irritation.

Palmolive Men Classic stick : 27

Polsilver Super iridium (2nd), Palmolive stick, Pitralon classic AS

Second day of Polsilver. Less noisy, same excellent shaving result. No red spots, no irritation.

Palmolive Men Classic stick : 28

Polsilver Super iridium (3rd), Palmolive stick, Pitralon classic AS

2 passes, excellent shave. Though my lather was just not wet enough on the first pass. The ATG even went better.

Palmolive Men Classic stick : 29

Polsilver Super iridium (4th), Palmolive stick, Pitralon classic AS

A few weeks ago, I noticed 3 sticks of Nivea 'body shaving' in my local supermarket. Looks like sticks of shaving soap. There's a lot of dust on them. So I guess, next time the rearrange the shelves, this slot wil be reserved for another product and the 2 of 3 last sticks will go on rebate. If the stick works for shaving your body, it should do as good a job shaving my beard, shouldn't it? And if it smells like nivea, I might like it a lot.

Palmolive Men Classic stick : 30

Polsilver Super iridium (5th), Palmolive stick, Pitralon classic AS

My skin starts feeling dry like an hour after shaving (onwards). Could it be from rubbing a soapstick directly to my face? Or is it the Pitralon? Or just the weatherconditions? Who'll tell.

Palmolive Men Classic stick : 31

Polsilver Super iridium (6th), Palmolive stick, Pitralon classic AS
2 passes, excellent shave. But less consistent than yesterday. And with one very small red dot.

Palmolive Men Classic stick : 32

Astra SS, Palmolive stick, Nivea sensitive balm, Pitralon classic AS
First encounter with Astra SS. Excellent experience (and very silent)

Palmolive Men Classic stick : 33

M

mtcn77

Just wanted to say, I did a shave review recently. Shark went up to 8 shaves in my experience.

First, it starts convincingly sharp and very unforgiving with weepers, then it becomes very smooth and up to 8th shave it is still smooth and starts tugging a little weeper. That is when I changed the blade.

Shark doesn't require much manual dexterity and it is 90% forgiving for the most of time that you have started using it up until the time you discard it.

Just wanted to say, I did a shave review recently. Shark went up to 8 shaves in my experience.

First, it starts convincingly sharp and very unforgiving with weepers, then it becomes very smooth and up to 8th shave it is still smooth and starts tugging a little weeper. That is when I changed the blade.

Shark doesn't require much manual dexterity and it is 90% forgiving for the most of time that you have started using it up until the time you discard it.
I'm very curious. It was one of the first blades I ever used, my technique being still very lousy at the time. I bought like 10 different brands of blades after that. I'm now using an Astra SS which is the last tuck to open. So I've reached the end of the range. After this blade, I'll be starting at the beginning again: with Shark. So a few more days of Astra and then I'll rediscover the Shark blades myself.

Astra SS (2nd), Palmolive stick, Nivea sensitive balm, Pitralon classic AS
2 passes, 2 small red dots (entirely my own fault of course, should have respected the differences in direction of hair growth).

Palmolive Men Classic stick : 34

M

mtcn77

I'm very curious. It was one of the first blades I ever used, my technique being still very lousy at the time. I bought like 10 different brands of blades after that. I'm now using an Astra SS which is the last tuck to open. So I've reached the end of the range. After this blade, I'll be starting at the beginning again: with Shark. So a few more days of Astra and then I'll rediscover the Shark blades myself.
Hi! There is Treet Carbon as well; although I'm in no need for a milder blade. Shark is good, as is.

Astra SS (3rd), Palmolive stick, Nivea sensitive balm, Pitralon classic AS
2 passes, 1 red dot (not entirely my own fault this time).
I'm starting to think the Astra SS is too sharp for my needs and for my level of technique.

Palmolive Men Classic stick : 35

M

mtcn77

Astra SS (3rd), Palmolive stick, Nivea sensitive balm, Pitralon classic AS
2 passes, 1 red dot (not entirely my own fault this time).
I'm starting to think the Astra SS is too sharp for my needs and for my level of technique.

Hi, if I had the chance, I would go for the mildest blade and the most protective lather every time for less irritation at each pass. You might be feeling some urgency to complete your shave if you don't feel the blade is light enough.

Shark SS (1st), Wilkinson puck, Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
2 passes, okay shave.
So probably the Astra SS is too sharp for my needs and for my level of technique. I had to let it go.

And yes: finally back to Shark. Last time I used it (as real newbie), my wife wondered if I had been shaving at all. Was it the blade, was it my shaving technique? (Probably the latter, since no one on this forum is complaining about the Shark blades).

Well, this morning I mannaged a two-pass okay shave with the new Shark blade. Nothing to be embarrassed about, not a chance my wife would question my shaving activity all together. But she'd complain about some rough patches left. And so do I.
So the easy conclusion: Shark SS is not my blade.
The more interesting one: Shark SS is the easiest way to monitor my shaving technique development. The blade won't compensate my lack of technique. So many months ago, my technique must've been so lousy, with Shark it looked like I'd forgotten to shave. Now, with Shark, I already get a decent shave. I wouldn't hesitate to see clients today. But I still notice the difference. So after this blade gets retired, I'll be waiting like 6 months or so before I use a Shark blade again.

At least, thats my thought after the first day of returning to Shark.

Wilkinson puck (blue tub) : 26

Top Bottom