What's new

Wolfman: On the waiting list. Questions.

I just have to add that I was a really mild shaver prior to my entrance into the world of super high end razors. DE89, Game Changers, Timeless 68, and Techs were my tools of choice. Mild stuff. Then I started getting into Charcoal Goods and steep angle shaving. It was the artistry and amazing aesthetics that grabbed me. Got my Wolfman email right after getting my first Level 2. As much as I loved the Level 2, it was a bit much to be a daily driver, or even every other day. I was all set to get either a WR2 .95 or 1.05, when I had a few conversations with Dan @Hannah's Dad. He convinced me to go with the 1.15. And boy am I glad he did! The 1.15 is so smooth and blade neutral that I couldn’t imagine going any lower in the gap. I don’t shave every day, but I could with zero issues with the 1.15. It is a perfect combination of efficiency and smoothness. I recently got my 1.25. I have a sensitive neck, and swirling neck stubble. So it’s hard to get a bbs down there. I got the 1.25 in an attempt to get that challenging area sorted. Im not there yet. The 1.25 has a bit more blade feel than the 1.15. It’s definitely noticeable. I get my shaves a bit closer with the 1.25. The 1.15 is completely blade neutral in my experience. If I were forced to shave with one razor for the rest of my life it would be the WR2 1.15. Wouldn’t even have to think about it. It’s that good. Ymmv.
I'm with you Brad. The WR2 1.15 SB is as good as it gets for a daily shaver. The higher gaps are as smooth, but leave me not needing to shave the next day and I enjoy a daily shave. The 1.15 SB has no problem mowing down multiple days growth, so it just fits me perfectly even on those times I decide not to shave for a day or three.

I’m with these guys. WR2 1.15 SB (paired with a hollow H2, in my case) hits the daily shaving sweet spot for me. DE shaving nirvana....

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I’m with these guys. WR2 1.15 SB (paired with a hollow H2, in my case) hits the daily shaving sweet spot for me. DE shaving nirvana....
I pair mine with an H7 solid regular length, and its perfect as well. I have a Darwin on my 1.25 and really love it. Super maneuverable and impossible to lose your grip. And the Darwin may just be the best looking handle ever. However, I dont want to use it with my 1.15 as I am deathly afraid to mix up the baseplates and never sort them back out! I dont get why they cant mark the gap on there! Anyone know how to sort out which baseplate is which?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I pair mine with an H7 solid regular length, and its perfect as well. I have a Darwin on my 1.25 and really love it. Super maneuverable and impossible to lose your grip. And the Darwin may just be the best looking handle ever. However, I dont want to use it with my 1.15 as I am deathly afraid to mix up the baseplates and never sort them back out! I dont get why they cant mark the gap on there! Anyone know how to sort out which baseplate is which?
Can you eyeball the baseplate thickness? The lower gapped baseplate should have a thicker baseplate.

You guys are killing me with the love for the 1.15, but the buy to try isn’t worth it for me. I love my 1.55 as I knew I wasn’t shaving every day, but take a day or two (or several) off in between each. What’s more than the gap is the blade exposure that I enjoy.

As to gap sizes, I believe it is actually the safety bar that is cut down for higher gaps so it is smaller and the base is the same. It’s looked that way most times I’ve tried to figure it out from pictures. I could be wrong.

Can you eyeball the baseplate thickness? The lower gapped baseplate should have a thicker baseplate.
After a quick discussion with Dan... what he really meant was: The lower gapped baseplate should be thinner.

Thumbnail sketch:
Baseplate-Thickness_2020-01-22.jpg

Gap being the space between the underside of the blade and the guard.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
After a quick discussion with Dan... what he really meant was: The lower gapped baseplate should be thinner.

Thumbnail sketch:
View attachment 1211846
Gap being the space between the underside of the blade and the guard.
That’s probably right, Cal — unless the post before yours is right that the safety bar thickness determines the gap. Anyone with two gaps that can weigh in here?

It took 6 weeks to get to New Jersey. Hopefully USPS is getting a little better. But I dont think so.

I am really curious to see how long it takes to get across the border. It got to Richmond (BC) yesterday which is about a 3 hour drive from where I live (across the border). Tracking says I am supposed to get it February 2nd. That is a long time to travel 130 miles .. :D

I am guessing customs is going to be the biggest hold up here.

I am really curious to see how long it takes to get across the border. It got to Richmond (BC) yesterday which is about a 3 hour drive from where I live (across the border). Tracking says I am supposed to get it February 2nd. That is a long time to travel 130 miles .. :D

I am guessing customs is going to be the biggest hold up here.
Mine shipped Canada Post on Monday. Today (Saturday) tracking states the package arrived in destination country. I also have an estimated February 2 delivery. FYI, i live in NJ.

Is 1.15 too close to 1.05 in being almost indistinguishable in the shaving performance and experience? I have no intention in offloading my 1.05 so if it doesn't really add significantly then would 1.25 be better in this respect ? On the other hand I don't want to give up on the mildness of the shaving experience of the 1.05. Is the 1.25 appreciably more blade feel than the 1.05?

Is 1.15 too close to 1.05 in being almost indistinguishable in the shaving performance and experience? I have no intention in offloading my 1.05 so if it doesn't really add significantly then would 1.25 be better in this respect ? On the other hand I don't want to give up on the mildness of the shaving experience of the 1.05. Is the 1.25 appreciably more blade feel than the 1.05?
Why not use one wide shim* to see if you like the 1.25mm gap?

* i.e. one standard DE blade with ≤1mm removed from each edge. (Standard DE blades are 0.1mm thick.)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I went from 1.15 to 1.25 and the difference is quite noticeable to me. I am happy i did not go to 1.35. If 1.05 seems way too mild, then by all means skip a gap. However, if you’re just looking to kick it up a notch like I was, I would not hesitate to go up just one. Just my 2 cents.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
As to gap sizes, I believe it is actually the safety bar that is cut down for higher gaps so it is smaller and the base is the same. It’s looked that way most times I’ve tried to figure it out from pictures. I could be wrong.

This looks to be completely correct. I have a 1.15 and 1.25. I lined them up as best as I could and took a pic. All other dims seem to be the same. I will pull out the calipers or a micrometer if I can find them.

2021-01-24 09.35.34.jpg

I'm with you Brad. The WR2 1.15 SB is as good as it gets for a daily shaver. The higher gaps are as smooth, but leave me not needing to shave the next day and I enjoy a daily shave. The 1.15 SB has no problem mowing down multiple days growth, so it just fits me perfectly even on those times I decide not to shave for a day or three.

Gents,

Does the 1.15 actually have a neutral blade exposure? Is this confirmed?

BTW, if anyone has a 90 mm Wolfman WRH handle, I may be interested. Currently on a waitlist :)

DW.

I went from 1.15 to 1.25 and the difference is quite noticeable to me. I am happy i did not go to 1.35. If 1.05 seems way too mild, then by all means skip a gap. However, if you’re just looking to kick it up a notch like I was, I would not hesitate to go up just one. Just my 2 cents.
Gents,

Does the 1.15 actually have a neutral blade exposure? Is this confirmed?

BTW, if anyone has a 90 mm Wolfman WRH handle, I may be interested. Currently on a waitlist :)

DW.

I have no idea about blade exposure and honestly do not care. It means nothing to me. What is important is how the razor performs. I am not trying to be rude, I just never cared about such minutiae. I always felt that trial and error worked for me. Cost me some money, but so does trying new golf clubs, watches, once upon a time women etc...

As Brad mentioned and I have also experienced, if you have tried a 1.05 and find it just a bit too mild, jump to a 1.15. If you find the 1.05 so mild it sucks, go to a 1.25. I had a 1.05 and jumped to a 1.15. I loved the 1.15, but thought I'd try a 1.25. The 1.25 was great, but I did not need a shave the following day. So, sold the 1.25 and went back to a 1.15 which is nirvana to me. I have also bounced between mirrored, basic matte, basic polished and now back to basic matte, which again to me is perfect. I also much prefer the 90mm hollow handle (see pic of yesterdays perfect shave day with WR2 1.15SB/WRH1 90mm hollow and other tools include SV Dolomiti, Simpson Duke 3 Manchurian).

It has cost me a lot of time and money buying and selling, but I enjoyed the ride. Listen to Brad. if you have a Wolfman that you really like, but are curious about higher blade gaps, try the next one up. If you have a Wolfman that is way too mild, jump a gap.

At least I'm enjoying the ride...

IMG_7141.jpeg

I am currently on the wait list for a WR2 1.05 gap with an 80mm WRH2 hollow handle. Can anyone weigh in as to the balance of this? Will it be top heavy or is the balance fine? For reference, I currently use a Timeless 0.68 titanium at 85 mm and love it. I wish Wolfman made the WRH2 in 85mm. I appreciate anyone’s input.

Top Bottom