What's new

The Ammo Shortage

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My ammo closet looks like I have been hoarding ammo, but it isn't because I have been buying it up all at once. My closet is proof, that buying a box here or a couple boxes there, will add up over the years.
Amen.

Why didn't I do that with the stock market?

Why not stash one or two dedicated 20-round boxes of .308 in the back room for each in-stock, .308-chambered (OFTM, 30-06; 7.62x39; 5.56x54; 9mm & 10mm...) long gun, pistol, etc...?
We do keep some of the the common handgun calibers and 22 LR stashed for gun sales, but the high power rifle ammo run caught us by surprise. Never before has it ran like this and we can't get more, handgun stuff comes in regular, the rifle not so much.

There are a couple shops within a 15 mile radius that I used to buy from. They both have the exact same 9mm ammo that they sell. The difference: One shop sells it for almost double what the other one does. The more expensive shop advertises on line and I would image they sell quite a bit of ammo. I now buy exclusively from the shop that doesn't gouge.

My Mrs. came down stairs into the bull pen, where I do my reloading and smithing and she asked me why I needed so much ammunition. I looked her right in the eyes and used her famed "shoe defense" against her and said, "But honey, I'm saving so much money by reloading".
I know what you guys are thinking... I almost couldn't say it without laughing.

My ammo closet looks like I have been hoarding ammo...

Ad Astra

The Instigator
My Mrs. came down stairs into the bull pen, where I do my reloading and smithing and she asked me why I needed so much ammunition. I looked her right in the eyes and used her famed "shoe defense" against her and said, "But honey, I'm saving so much money by reloading".
I know what you guys are thinking... I almost couldn't say it without laughing.

I quoted that CTD price of $119.99/100 for 9mm to mine.

She went (uncharacteristically) silent.

AA

I have been with mine 20 years. She has never once questioned the cost of any of my hobbies. None of them are cheap, either. It didnt take a crystal ball to see the current shortage coming. Earlier this year, some ammo/components could be found cheaper than it had been over the past few years. I carried somewhere between 80 and 100 flats of shotgun shells in the house so I could continue clay shooting uninterrupted.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I quoted that CTD price of $119.99/100 for 9mm to mine.

She went (uncharacteristically) silent.

AA
You quoted CTD 9mm prices as a defense? Come on man! You can do better!
CTD.jpeg

Full disclosure... they do have to cover legal fees.

Last edited:
CTD will NEVER get a dime from me again. Should things ever get back to normal and they were selling 115g WWB at 150 per 1000 delivered. NOPE.

They got on the never again list in 2008. In Oct/Nov 2008, it was clear that Obama had a chance to win. Despite that, they distributed a catalog with all manner of ammo and mags at prices x.

IIRC, shortly after the election, the prices on the website for said ammo and items was adjusted significantly upward and they would not honor the paper catalog prices.

Hard pass.

IIRC, I too paid 18 ish for 2 boxes of the "333" .22s at an OK Walmart back in Aug when I moved my son into school. There were 3, I left one for the next person.

Top Bottom