What's new

The Ammo Shortage

Same story as game systems, phones, etc.. Any must have gadget, item or commodity can be bought and then resold on the secondary market like eBay, GB, or Armslist. There was a post over on m14 about 8lbs of H4895 listed at $1000 on GB. Supposedly some sold at around $600-700.

It is annoying, but very predictable. I will sit this one out just like the last few.

Please teach us something we don’t know? I’m all about learning to do it smarter and not harder. :)
Learn from this; when prices go down and availability goes up, stock up. That way its irrelevant what is happening when politics etc. Are at play. I bought 12k rounds in January as soon as I heard about Corona, not knowing anything more at the time but to shelter. If I was wrong it would create a shortage...so what, I have more ammo. No loss. If I'm right, which I was, I have ammo to keep me from getting upset at human nature.

I have been a frequent shooter for over 30 years and a reloader for over 25. I have always bought when ammo or components were a deal or on sale. When I do buy, I always buy big. I have never been affected by shortages. I look at it as money in the bank when I look at the prices I paid then, compared to what the cost is now.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Learn from this; when prices go down and availability goes up, stock up. That way its irrelevant what is happening when politics etc. Are at play. I bought 12k rounds in January as soon as I heard about Corona, not knowing anything more at the time but to shelter. If I was wrong it would create a shortage...so what, I have more ammo. No loss. If I'm right, which I was, I have ammo to keep me from getting upset at human nature.

Great advice. :)

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Same story as game systems, phones, etc.. Any must have gadget, item or commodity can be bought and then resold on the secondary market like eBay, GB, or Armslist. There was a post over on m14 about 8lbs of H4895 listed at $1000 on GB. Supposedly some sold at around $600-700.

It is annoying, but very predictable. I will sit this one out just like the last few.

I don’t know if this time is going to be just like the last few and bounce back. But here’s to hoping that it is.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have been a frequent shooter for over 30 years and a reloader for over 25. I have always bought when ammo or components were a deal or on sale. When I do buy, I always buy big. I have never been affected by shortages. I look at it as money in the bank when I look at the prices I paid then, compared to what the cost is now.
I always buy primers in 5k amounts when they were on sale; just opened my last box from 2017. I should be good for at least a year, if not two to reload. And if I should run out, I got plenty of .22lr to plink for a while.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
In the past I've bought my primers by the 5K. In the future, when available at reasonable prices, I'll be buying by the 10K. And repeat.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
In the past I've bought my primers by the 5K. In the future, when available at reasonable prices, I'll be buying by the 10K. And repeat.
There is a group buy brewing on another forum and I am tempted to jump in big time. According to the fella who is gauging interest it will be a shiiping containers worth aka almost 17 million primers in all flavors (same company that owns Wolf and Tula). The down sides are they wouldn't be here until late 2021 and the commitment is 100K primers. That's ALOT of bang buttons to have laying around! I can see a fire marshal being less than amused.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
“Hopefully we’re making ammunition today” :lol:

Sooo are you implying that some days you don’t make ammunition? After telling us you are MAKING AMMO EVERY DAY. MORE THAN YOU HAVE EVER MADE.

Hmmmm??

I definitely would have edited that out of the script.

Did you notice that the place wasn't all a buzz with people? I think the place that would tell the tale are the priming rooms? I'm not saying I know for a fact or that there aren't automated priming rooms but I have always been lead to believe that primers are hand rubbed. If that is the case and social distancing is being required that might be the cause of a HUGE bottle neck. If you had 100 folks in there 2 shifts a day add have to drop that to 50 people and add a (3rd) shift a day you go from 8000 man/hours a week to 6000 man/hours a week. That is a significant hit for production. If they were already running 3 shifts it's even worse. This all assumption on my part of course. Just thinking out loud.

Hoarders are the biggest problem. Vista, who owns Federal, CCI, Speer, and now Remington and a couple others, has increased production 30% this year and is back ordered through next year. Folks come in my store everyday gaming us for ammo (two box limit). They get on the phone right in front of us and call/text everyone they can to come buy them ammo, then stand there challenging anyone who comes near the ammo they are saving. A we toss them out of the store, but they come back, wife comes in, best bud, and we start all over. Many brag about the 100k+ rounds at home. The you see boxes of ammo at the gun show and pawn shops with our latest price tag still on them going for triple what we sell it for.

Worse is sad to sell a young man his first hunting gun and can't give him any ammo because the jerks took all 40 boxes of 308 yesterday.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Hoarders are the biggest problem...

...Worse is sad to sell a young man his first hunting gun and can't give him any ammo because the jerks took all 40 boxes of 308 yesterday.
Why not stash one or two dedicated 20-round boxes of .308 in the back room for each in-stock, .308-chambered (OFTM, 30-06; 7.62x39; 5.56x54; 9mm & 10mm...) long gun, pistol, etc...?

Hoarders are the biggest problem. Vista, who owns Federal, CCI, Speer, and now Remington and a couple others, has increased production 30% this year and is back ordered through next year. Folks come in my store everyday gaming us for ammo (two box limit). They get on the phone right in front of us and call/text everyone they can to come buy them ammo, then stand there challenging anyone who comes near the ammo they are saving. A we toss them out of the store, but they come back, wife comes in, best bud, and we start all over. Many brag about the 100k+ rounds at home. The you see boxes of ammo at the gun show and pawn shops with our latest price tag still on them going for triple what we sell it for.

Worse is sad to sell a young man his first hunting gun and can't give him any ammo because the jerks took all 40 boxes of 308 yesterday.
I have heard similar things from a couple friends that work in sporting goods stores. People openly bragging about reselling the ammo they are buying. One of my friends tells of a large group of people that pack into a van and show up when the truck come to resupply. How they know when it is happening is a mystery to him as the trucks are not regular. They will hang out for hours waiting for the ammo to come out. They buy out most of the ammunition and are so rude to the other customers that they are asked to leave constantly. They have taken to sneezing and coughing in line with improperly worn masks to keep people from standing in line to buy the ammo. They buy anything and everything that is left. The store has started putting out the ammo the next day or so, but it’s not a gun shop, just a store with a sporting goods section....

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Why not stash one or two dedicated 20-round boxes of .308 in the back room for each in-stock, .308-chambered (OFTM, 30-06; 7.62x39; 5.56x54; 9mm & 10mm...) long gun, pistol, etc...?
That my friend may have been the smartest thing I have read in quite awhile. It ain't like they aren't going to be able to sell it soon anyway.

That my friend may have been the smartest thing I have read in quite awhile. It ain't like they aren't going to be able to sell it soon anyway.
I agree, here in PA the gunstores have ammo in the back put aside for new and used guns buyers as a benefit. I'm disgusted by those type of buyers...I haven't bought ammo in person for at least 10 years though.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I agree, here in PA the gunstores have ammo in the back put aside for new and used guns buyers as a benefit. I'm disgusted by those type of buyers...I haven't bought ammo in person for at least 10 years though.
My last bulk purchase was from Midway, I think, that wasn't .22....... I have bought a few buckets more than I needed, but only on sale, and I have no problem with the care and feeding of any youngsters that might run out while at my HillBilly gun range. There ain't no bigger joy than seeing a kid shoot for the first time. Especially the first time a bigger little kid shoots a GP100 in .357 and it's getting towards dusk and the flame is more visible! Ah! And the smell of burnt gun powder.

Let the hoarders have their "trophies." I got my trophies stored up in my heart and between my ears. You cannot beat the righteous prideful smile on a youngster's face when she or he looks over at mom or dad for that pat on the back!

Top Bottom